Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

banana slug

Standard Membership
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by banana slug

  1. That does seem a bit harsh considering this is the first time they've been challenged like this in a while. I do wonder though, has Brossart's program had that much affect on NCC? It seems as though the talent may be down this year a little, but the number of players on their team has certainly dropped.
  2. Congrats to Coach Wirth and the Colonels on their first win. They have a very good coaching staff and the guys seem to be responding. Definitely the right man for the job. Big plays by Erpenbeck, nice game for Connelly and Beau Geisen. The spread offense opens up some options for them. The "D" played well ; big games by Deglow, Martin, and Garnick. Any news on the injured punter, Whitehead?
  3. Thank you boomhauer, sorry Mr. Nichols. Mabe I wasn't informed enough ! ...and I agree with Greenhornet, it was the first game for both. I do like what I see in CCH. I like the energy and determination. They are on the right track. In my earlier post, I said "missed opportunities" in my effort to not sound too critical of Erpenbeck. I regret later clarifying my point, and in turn sounding too harsh on him. I think he's a good quarterback, that (to my knowledge) was making his first varsity start. He was trying to make plays, and his best weapon was not available to him (Robinson). My advice to him; keep running, but there's no shame in sliding or running ob when you scramble, live to see another play. Your team needs you out there.
  4. So the praise and superlatives for Servinsky, Elliott, McNichols and entire Ryle offense was spot-on, but anything short of effusive praise for the entire defense is silly? As I said, CCH's offense was not a true test, Highlands will be. While the scrambles were not designed plays, they were very effective and gained most of CCH's offensive yardage. As this was obvious to most of us in the stands, why did it repeatedly happen and no apparent adjustment was made to defend it. Ritter was able to return 6 kickoffs for 232 yards! I realize that this is special teams, not defense, but were you as shocked as I was that he was able to get his hands on the 4th,5th,and 6th kickoffs? There were two CCH men deep, but Ryle seemed intent on kicking to Ritter. I'm just saying, the lack of game adjustments may catch up with Ryle. The scramble is an integral part of Highlands offense, if Ryle doesn't adjust, they won't stop the Bluebirds. ...and yes, I call overthrowing and underthrowing open receivers as missed opportunities. A touchdown run that was called back due to a penalty, would have made the game closer. Several other big gains were also. Why is this point silly or ridiculous ? Coop, do you not care to acknowledge that those were critical things in the game that was close for a while? I don't have a kid in the game, just my honest, objective and informed opinions. Regarding CCH, I believe they will be better, but it's a work in progress. I think Coach Wirth will make the necessary changes and adjustments along the way, and they'll improve drastically during the season.
  5. To be blunt, but perfecty honest, Brossart was not well liked by the kids. As for the "Park Hills Mafia" statement, the parents at Covington Catholic were looking out for not only the proud football program but the students as well.
  6. I agree with Oscar, Elliott is a beast ! Great strength and vision, good speed. He can run inside or outside. It took two defenders to bring him down on every play, and he seemed to pick up a few yards after the initial hit each time. Also impressed with McNichols, I see why Stanford wants him. He knows how to get open, use his size, and has nice hands. Ryle has a lot of options on the offensive side. Defensively, it's tough to gauge how good they are. I would give them a "C" at best last night. I thought last night, CCH looked inept on the O-side, not enough talent in the skill-positions. Ryle did create some turnovers, but they did benefit from many dumb penalties and missed opportunities by CCH. CCH did have receivers open in the secondary, but Erpenbeck wasn't able to get it to them. Servinsky played well, his second pick was an exceptional play. That was also an example of how underachieving Connelly is. He had a 5-6" height advantage on the DB's; someone needs to convince the 6'4" reigning state champion high-jumper to not catch the ball at his shoulder pads. He needs to work harder, both to get separation and to fight for the ball. It was very evident last night, CCH will truly miss their best player, WR, Michael Robinson. I think we'll see Ritter spends some time on the offensive side next week, he was exceptional last night. Guru; I listen to sports talk all day, and appreciate the ability of a talk show host to play the devils advocate with insipid or outlandish comments, just to evoke emotion with a segment of the listening audience ; nice play ! I'm new to BGP, but I realize that's what stirs the BGP pot. ...am I giving you too much credit ?
  7. TAC, thanks for reminding me of Frank Jacobs. Please help me confirm or debunk a myth/legend. A friend of mine insists that Frank has two of the longest outs in 9th region history. He said that in the Regional Championship game vs. CCH, at the original Thomas More baseball field (which had no fences), Frank hit two balls that were caught in right field, 450 feet from home. Is this myth or legend?
  8. I'm not familiar with Jim Cutter either. When did he play, what position?...did he move on to the pros or college?
  9. I agree Ole' guy. I put "since the 1980's" in the original post for that reason; however, it is interesting to see some of the old names like Leo Foster.
  10. ...forgot Tim Grogan for the Florence Freedom
  11. A conversation came up at a graduation party. With Luke Maile winning Mr. Baseball, an argument can be made that he is the best ever modern day player in the 9th Region. Since the 1980's, who else would you put on a list of best-ever by position? Maile, CCH ©, Curley, BW (3B ?), Elliott BW(OF), Buerger BW(?), Grogan CCH (SS), Farris Boone (OF), Todd Etler CCH (P) Who am I forgetting? Help me fill out the line-up.
  12. Maybe a good way to word it would be Coach M has done a lot with less talent. BTW, I am curious, who are some of the CCH grads that are in the pros? Well said Coaching, my point exactly. I believe Rob Harmon is still in the minors. He pitched for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers last year (Seattle organization). I don't know where he is this year.
  13. texas, who would you consider the best players to play at BW in the last 10 years or so? Curley and Elliott would be at the top of my list. I believe they are from Campbell and Boone Counties. I believe Three of their top four players on next years' team are non-district, including another Boone kid that played summer ball for M prior to going to BW. I agree, all schools have them, but Coach M does not rely on molding young Ft. Mitchell football players into baseball players as stated earlier. Regarding your earlier post: wouldn't any tie breaker in sports be head-to-head competition? CCH has won about 9 of the last 12 district championships. I believe they've won 4 or 5 Regionals in that time frame, and one state championship. This is a question and not a facetious comment, how has BW fared in the All A State Tournament? You said that Coach M has done more with less. Not to parse your words, but in fact he has done less with less. Factually speaking, Krumps has done more. Krumps has put about 44 players into college or pros, not all of them came to him with that much talent, like Patrick Krumme this year. Another question, how has Coach M done in that regard?
  14. Baseball is life, you seem to be reinforcing my point. Krumps wins because he gets the talent, Meyerhoff wins because he's a great coach?! They both get talent, they both are very successful. While Krumps may get more talent, he's also enjoyed more success. It seems to be a circular argument. Meyerhoff did have three kids that will be playing college ball (Smith, Snyder, Hyde), so it's not like he won with smoke and mirrors. I respect your opinion, and also respect the job that Coach M has done at BW, I just give Krumps the nod. As I said, Coach Krumps' "old school" tactics seem to unnerve the most ardent CCH fan at times; but he has cranked out 20 W's for 23 straight years, even when he doesn't have the most talented teams.
  15. Coaches sometimes are judged by their most recent season, or maybe the decisions made in the most recent big victory or loss. Coach M had the a huge victory, and has enjoyed a very successful career. BW pulled off an upset that no one could have imagined. However, Coach Krumps has had an incredible Hall of Fame career; use whatever barometer you choose. He has over 750 career victories; countless District, several Regional championships, and one state championship. Several dozen kids have gone on to play college or professional ball. One of the most telling benchmarks of success is the number of local head coaches that played and/or coached under him. This is a group that has also enjoyed their own success; Roesel (Ryle), Bieger (Cooper), Arlo (Conner) and Wilhoite (sp?, formerly at Boone). Much like Parcell's or Pitino's coaching family-tree, that is a true testament as to how well respected he is by other school principals, AD's and coaches. In many ways, he's in a no-win situation, as is evident by such threads on BGP; if he wins it's because he gets the talent, if he loses it's because of him. This year as an example; he enjoyed one of the most successful regular seasons ever in the Ninth Region with 30 something victories, yet a coach that had roughly a .500 winning percentage was voted Coach of the Year. Coach Krumps has some old-school ways that will always be questioned, but IMHO he is the best coach in NKY.
  16. Who are the best teams and best players in Northern KY. boys soccer this year?
  17. I realize that Ryle normally started someone else at 2B, but I did see Lonkard play 2B a couple times. I believe O'Hara, Etcheid and Meier were generally 2,3, and 4 or 1,3 and 4 in their lineup, correct? With that said, I do believe Hempel was their best hitter. I realize Ryle has some young talent that hasn't played varsity yet, Holy Cross, Boone, and CovCath do also. Those were four good JV teams this year. I think that's the wildcard for everyone. All the teams mentioned in my "Top 6" have some big shoes to fill, none bigger than CovCath's. One thing I think you and I can agree on; whatever the rankings are in March, may be inverted in May. I think the region is wide open.
  18. Sorry, I always got the 2B and SS's names mixed up, that's why I put a (?) What was the SS's name, O'Hara ? I realize that Lonkard played 2B and also OF. Pretty defensive for some fun discussion that doesn't mean a thing 9 months before the season starts aren't we Coop? In addition to losing one of the top 4 pitchers in the region, Ryle lost two or three of their best offensive players from a team that, in your words earlier in the year as I recall, had trouble scoring. I said CCH lost a lot, we'll use your word, "lost a ton", that's rather obvious. They also have some talent returning. There's no shame in playing behind those 7 seniors. Holy Cross has the best RH pitcher returning, and a nice supporting cast with Ritter and Egan. I said Roenker was solid but not dominant, but Isler wasn't dominant as a junior either. Roenker would be potentially the closest to dominant in the 9th. As stated earlier, Beechwood returns most of their team, and they are the reigning 9th region champ. Boone will still put up some round numbers. It's just my opinion; however, I saw all each of these teams play at least 8-10 times this year.
  19. They will be in the mix, but I'm not sure that I'd move them ahead of anyone on the 6 I have listed. They also lost a lot (Etcheid, Meier, Lonkard (?), Oliver and all). I think Hempel is a fine young player that will help carry that team.
  20. Logan Siemer at 2B, Neil Martin played nearly all year in the OF, Brendon Schlegbaum DH'd a lot and will play short, Matt Klein will probably play 3B. Gerwe, Warning, Klein, and Shumate will form a nice pitching staff. My vote; 1) Dixie: good pitching (Stansberry & Smallwood),average hitting and D 2) Boone: good hitting (Cotton, Dunaway),OK pitching, need to improve on overall team D 3) Conner: good pitching staff but I don't think West will play baseball next year 4) Holy Cross:young but some decent players, Roenker is solid but not dominant 5) Covington Catholic: lost a lot but will reload, may start slow and probably bloom late when the pitching gains experience.Good D, will play smallball again 6) Beechwood: good returning team, young but experienced
  21. Great game by the Colonels, especially Isler and Maile. Congrats to the team. I've seen many CCH games this year, and I would be hard-pressed to pick the team MVP, much less POY or Mr. Baseball. Stay tuned, all three are money, and now's when it counts. If I had to pick right now; it's Isler for 9th region POY, and Luke as Mr. Baseball. Luke is the best player in the state, and Ice has had a great year in all aspects. Don't discount what a great defensive 1B he is. Darner is one of the best clutch hitters around, but the other two are slightly ahead for POY. Regarding the hit vs. error posts; I'll agree with TOG, but I think based on the standards that Siemer has set, he would probably agree with Oscar. I've never seen a 2B with that kind of range, and very good hands.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.