Russell 58 Fern Creek 57 (OT)

I may be dreaming but the real Russell team is starting to show up with an outstanding win against a good Fern Creek team that had beaten the Lee team from Alabama, and only lost to Henry Clay by 2 and Male by 3.

Russell led almost the entire game but let Fern Creek take their first lead late in the 4th quarter. Scott gill hit a huge jumper to tie it up, Fern Creek went for one shot in regulation but Russell D stepped up and stopped them. In overtime, Russell went up by 5 only to let Fern Creek back in it and lead 58 to 57, Fern Creek with the ball and about 35 seconds to go, they decided to go for one shot and win or loose, Jared Simpson and Kasey Clark did a great job of forcing Fern Creek's best outside threat to throw up a bad shot at the buzzer that had no chance of going in to pull out a big win over their 2nd Louisville team in as many nights. Clark and Van Hoose led the devils with 16 points each, but all the Devils played well and outrebounded the taller Fern Creek team 31 to 27! :thumb: Blair increased his playing time to 29 minutes and his presence is making a big difference in the overall team. Kasey Clark is also getting his basketball legs and making some huge playes when the Devils seem to need it most (I think he learned that trick in football)

Lets see if the Devils can keep up their momentum in the AIT

Sizemore is playing but is a little rusty, but improving rapidly, Turner made some huge strides this weekend and more than held his own against some athletic post players in the 6-5-6-6 range, and provided and inside presence that has been sorely lacking for the Devils. Scott Gill has moved out to the perimeter and doing a great job on defense and knocking down some big 3's.

Gill and Turner are probally the two most improved players for the Red Devils and played big parts in their success this weekend. :thumb:

Devils started 5 juniors last two games, and got two wins against good Louisville competition, which I think most people would agree is a lot tougher

competition than your middle of the pack 16th region teams

Seniors are still playing some key roles though

Devils have tough opening oponent in Bishop Brossart, if they get by them, they will probally be playing Bryan Station, who before tonight was undefeated and playing very well, I know one thing, Russell is a lot better than they were a week ago, how much better? Next week will be a very good test, should be fun

If Red Devils are 100% healthy by tuesday, they can compete with anyone in the field, at this point I'm sure most people in the 16th are withholding their opinion until they see the "new and improved" version for themselves ;)

Blair is just a warrior, I wouldnt call him 100%, Van Hoose is about 85%, and Clark is about 90%, just nagging stuff that can slow you down at times, but the kids are tough enough to fight through, they should be better next week than they were this week, Marcus Frazier also was sick the last two games and he was the Devils leading scorer in the Greenup game, but positive side to all the injuries is that the Devils are developing some depth