November 8, 201114 yr Gruden has been a lot better than I thought. I figured a guy that could only work for his brother might not be qualified. It appears he's pretty good. He has 5 weeks right now to prove it. It's hypocritical to blame CP's bad play on terrible routes and wr's not run blocking and not at least mention that could hurt Brat too. It's also crazy not to at least think CP deteriorating hurt Brat as much or more than Brat hurt CP. Edited November 8, 201114 yr by SSC
November 8, 201114 yr Gruden has been a lot better than I thought. I figured a guy that could only work for his brother might not be qualified. It appears he's pretty good. He has 5 weeks right now to prove it. It's hypocritical to blame CP's bad play on terrible routes and wr's not run blocking and not at least mention that could hurt Brat too. It's also crazy not to at least think CP deteriorating hurt Brat as much or more than Brat hurt CP. That is the thing it is up to the OC to fit the things he does around his personal. As many players have said he kept trying to do the exact same plays as he was in 2005, even though others have caught on. I admit Palmer has been differen't since his arm injury. However instead of doing more short drop backs and short passes. They did a lot of 7 step drop backs still, and kept trying to deep outs, and deep ins. It is the OC's job to put his players in the best position possible. I know everyone had some share in the struggles Palmer included. However the OC was not good for awhile, and I was wanting him gone still even after the 2009 season. If we went back to that year I even said the Bengals should make a change at OC. I then went on to add that the Bengals always seem to make moves one year to late. It was time for a change. You think Gruden is really getting to completely run the system the way he wants to right now? Not at all but he has fit the offense around what Dalton can do right now. That is what the OC is suppose to do, he is suppose to be able to adjust. Brat never seemed to do that. His adjustment was well we just will call more running plays in 2009. Once again Brat is not a bad OC, which I have made that sound like. He was just bad for the Bengals, because it had been the same thing since 2001.
November 8, 201114 yr How can anyone say Brat didn't make adjustments when they went from a pass happy team to a run happy team while he was here? Makes no sense. A lot of QB's have been successful running the same plays over time. The thing about Brat was his QB was nowhere near the level he was in 05-06 and his WR's were divas that tran the wrong routes. Brat shares part of the blame, but for people to blame him and not give him credit for what they accomplished under him and what he had to deal with is silly.
November 8, 201114 yr Which I have given him credit, as I said the things he did in 2005 and 2006 were great. The problem was he kept trying to do the same thing even when the personal change. I don't know why you argue this fact, especially when there has been players who played in his system who even admitted it became bad over time. Yes in 2009 they ran more, the system didn't change they just ran more. If you forgot we had to win a lot of games at the end of the games that year. That means his system had them losing when the end of game came. They won games by going no huddle at the end to get game winning scores. Also how many times did we see our offense start off doing well in the 1st half and then nothing in the second half. Or we seen us struggle in the 1st half and still struggle in the 2nd half. There were no adjustments made, or just no adjustments made that work. Which gets back to people knowing what we wer doing, we had been doing the same things since 2001. He was a bad OC to have here in his last few years, and it had became stale. It really is not that hard to see. Just like we probably would not be doing as well this year if he was here, he failed to change his system of play calls to what he had. His biggest change was running the ball more. When we passed we still hardly did play action, and usually always seven step drops even with a bad oline and no true deep threats anymore.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.