November 7, 201114 yr Why don't you want them to go D1 Was wondering the same thing....Nothing bad can come from the move...:idunno:
November 7, 201114 yr I've been hearing a lot of rumblings that they will announce a move this month that they will go D1.
November 8, 201114 yr Author The main reason why I am against it is because there are so many people out there that think the Bank of Kentucky Center will be filled when hosting a men's basketball game, which I can almost guarantee you it will not do so. I love NKU and the athletic department, but don't think the fans will show up that much more for a potential NKU versus the likes of a Murray State, Morehead State, EKU, Wright State, Chicago State, or Cleveland State. Bringing in Louisville for an exhibition game didn't even sell the places out so those schools I've already mentioned won't be great draws. We all know that it is gonna happen eventually, but what some also forget is that the teams will not be eligible for postseason play for four years with the only exceptions being one sport picked by the school to be "fast-tracked", which means they would be eligible after three years. The catch there is that it can be any sport except basketball for NKU.
November 8, 201114 yr The main reason why I am against it is because there are so many people out there that think the Bank of Kentucky Center will be filled when hosting a men's basketball game, which I can almost guarantee you it will not do so. I love NKU and the athletic department, but don't think the fans will show up that much more for a potential NKU versus the likes of a Murray State, Morehead State, EKU, Wright State, Chicago State, or Cleveland State. Bringing in Louisville for an exhibition game didn't even sell the places out so those schools I've already mentioned won't be great draws. We all know that it is gonna happen eventually, but what some also forget is that the teams will not be eligible for postseason play for four years with the only exceptions being one sport picked by the school to be "fast-tracked", which means they would be eligible after three years. The catch there is that it can be any sport except basketball for NKU. Is the place going to sell out? No. But will attendance increase? Absolutely. It should double. The avg. for a game now is barely 1,000. So even 2,000 will look empty. But I do think it will be a significant increase if you are playing local D1 schools. The athletic department needs to do a much better job at marketing the team as well. As the average NKU student when home games are and they have no idea.
November 9, 201114 yr The main reason why I am against it is because there are so many people out there that think the Bank of Kentucky Center will be filled when hosting a men's basketball game, which I can almost guarantee you it will not do so. I love NKU and the athletic department, but don't think the fans will show up that much more for a potential NKU versus the likes of a Murray State, Morehead State, EKU, Wright State, Chicago State, or Cleveland State. Bringing in Louisville for an exhibition game didn't even sell the places out so those schools I've already mentioned won't be great draws. We all know that it is gonna happen eventually, but what some also forget is that the teams will not be eligible for postseason play for four years with the only exceptions being one sport picked by the school to be "fast-tracked", which means they would be eligible after three years. The catch there is that it can be any sport except basketball for NKU. I can see what you are saying, but who cares if they don't sell out the BOKC. I'm sure that is not one of the top 5 reasons the schools wants to make the move. I don't know facts, but I'd imagine the schools receives more money for being D-1, better exposure for the athletes, better reputation for the school, and it puts NKU in a "better community". Yeah it stinks they won't be able to compete in postseason play, but that is just pat of the process.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.