Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Emmitt Smith - How good do you think he was?

Featured Replies

Off the top of my head the best RB's that I can think of are:

 

Gale Sayers

Emmit Smith

Walter Payton

Bo Jackson (I know, but dang he was good)

Barry Sanders

  • Replies 47
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, Emmit did more with his ability (or lack thereof) than any other back I have ever seen....I vividly remember the game against the Giants in 1993 where his shoulder was separated and he ran for 160 something and caught about 50-60 yards.......legendary performance.

  • Author

I think it is very difficult to differentiate and rank the NFL's greatest RB's. I don't know if I'd put Emmitt at the top of the list (I'd probably go with Barry Sanders), but I certainly won't argue anyone that does.

 

Emmitt was one of those guys that just had that feel for the game. He was a football player, a guy who was better than the sum of his measurables.

 

I remember hearing people say Jerry Rice wasn't the fastest WR, but on the field he ran away from people. The same could be said of Emmitt, IMO. He didn't possess blazing speed, yet he was more than capable of breaking off a long run. He had great vision, always seemed to go forward, was durable, elusive and tough.

 

I think you can make a case for a handful of guys as the best: Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Walter Payton, Jim Brown.

 

I remember that game RP. I also remember a run on MNF (I believe) where Emmitt ran into a group of players and looked for all the world to be tackled, then suddenly bounced back out of the group and ended up scoring a TD. It was Barry Sanders-esque.

Over-rated... clap... clap... clap, clap, clap

Not sure I would put him at the top but how anyone can say over-rated is beyond me.

While Emmitt isn't in my top 5 I do think that had he left the game as a Cowboy instead of hanging on for the record then he may be more appreciated. His last few years were awful and painful to watch and could have possibly tarnished his legacy.

Over-rated... clap... clap... clap, clap, clap
You just took a major credibility hit......
Not sure I would put him at the top but how anyone can say over-rated is beyond me.

 

Because he ran behind the best OL in that decade. I would rate that OL unit one of the best ever. Sanders would have had stupid numbers behind that line.

I think I could easy find 20 RB's who would have OUT PROFORMED Emmitt, if they were to run behind that OL.

Because he ran behind the best OL in that decade. I would rate that OL unit one of the best ever. Sanders would have had stupid numbers behind that line.

 

I think I could easy find 20 RB's who would have OUT PROFORMED Emmitt, if they were to run behind that OL.

How do you know any back, including Sanders, would out perform Smith behind that line? You have nothing to back that up. That's like saying I can name 20 QB's that would have done what Montana did if they Jerry Rice to throw too. Or saying any receiver could do what Rice did if they had Montana throwing to them. Maybe the OL looked that good because they had Emmitt running the ball.

Off the top of my head the best RB's that I can think of are:

 

Gale Sayers

Emmit Smith

Walter Payton

Bo Jackson (I know, but dang he was good)

Barry Sanders

 

Anyone who doesn't have Jim Brown in their top tier shouldn't be allowed an opinion on this. :lol: :D

1 - Jim Brown

2 - Barry Sanders

3 - Walter Payton

4 - OJ Simpson

5 - Gale Sayers

6 - LaDanian Tomlinson

7 - Eric Dickerson

8 - Emmit Smith

How do you know any back, including Sanders, would out perform Smith behind that line? You have nothing to back that up. That's like saying I can name 20 QB's that would have done what Montana did if they Jerry Rice to throw too. Or saying any receiver could do what Rice did if they had Montana throwing to them. Maybe the OL looked that good because they had Emmitt running the ball.

 

That's a great point.

  • Author

I tend to include Emmitt in a top 4 of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Walter Payton. I wouldn't argue any order.

 

One back that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, that I would rate ahead of some who have been mentioned is Marshall Faulk.

I tend to include Emmitt in a top 4 of Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Walter Payton. I wouldn't argue any order.

 

One back that hasn't been mentioned in this thread, that I would rate ahead of some who have been mentioned is Marshall Faulk.

 

 

I would probably take Faulk before Emmitt to be honest.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.