Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

KHSAA Practice Start Changes

Featured Replies

How does everyone feel about the new regulations allowing practices to start earlier this season?

It is my understanding that October 15 is still the date to begin winter sports practices, however, the KHSAA is allowing voluntary practices to begin anytime prior to that date. Coaches are free to do whatever they want but they can not make practice mandatory until 10/15. What is the reasoning of this? I believe it gives the larger schools an advantage because the smaller schools have so many more kids that play 2 or 3 sports.

It is my understanding that October 15 is still the date to begin winter sports practices, however, the KHSAA is allowing voluntary practices to begin anytime prior to that date. Coaches are free to do whatever they want but they can not make practice mandatory until 10/15. What is the reasoning of this? I believe it gives the larger schools an advantage because the smaller schools have so many more kids that play 2 or 3 sports.

 

Larger schools always have some sort of advantage.

 

This helps the kids that are not playing another sport get extra practice in with a coach. No downside as far as I'm concerned.

My concern is that just because coaches cannot make it "mandatory" doesn't mean it won't be mandatory. KHSAA needs to protect kids' time from over zealous coaches and parents. Frankly I don't think they do a very good job of it.

I personally don't believe it gives anyone that much of an advantage. And really, what's wrong with letting kids that are otherwise not doing anything active, get in a gym and workout in something they love? If they really want to get in the gym, wouldnt it be more torture to keep them out? When it comes to something I enjoy, I'd rather you tell me I have to do it than to tell me I can't. :cool:

It seems more like a deregulation which is usually a good thing.

  • Author

Good points. I do not see a downside either unless coaches make it "mandatory". I wholeheartledy agree with letting kids in the gym if they want to be there. I also think it is good for the kids that may not get to play aau basketball. Also if the coaches do make it mandatory they run the risk of burning the players out before tounament time. That is a long time to practice before the first games start.

From the softball side of things it is a great thing. When you have kids that want to learn how to pitch or get help with hitting or fielding who better to teach them then their high school coaches. This way the parents don't have to spend the money to have an outside party to it. Pitching and hitting lessons can get quite expensive, and if you have kids in private schools, as well as public, for most there isn't much extra cash laying around for these things.

I definitely think it is a good thing for everyone. It will really help those kids that don't play other sports or select or AAU sports. But I still think that this is more of an advantage for larger schools who usually do not have as many kids that play 2 or 3 sports, which I think is fine. I also heard that this could help kids practice more with the high school teams and less with teams outside of school, like the select and AAU teams. Any thoughts to that?

all of your elite players are still going to play AAU regardless of the rule change because that's where the college scouts are at.

 

I do think it's a good change, whether you play aau or not, because it gives kids the chance to be in the gym at their schools with coaches providing instruction. More gym time means better players and a better quality of basketball around the state.

all of your elite players are still going to play AAU regardless of the rule change because that's where the college scouts are at.

 

I do think it's a good change, whether you play aau or not, because it gives kids the chance to be in the gym at their schools with coaches providing instruction. More gym time means better players and a better quality of basketball around the state.

 

Completely agree. :thumb:

  • Author

Completely agree. Wish i knew how to put on them smiley faces.

all of your elite players are still going to play AAU regardless of the rule change because that's where the college scouts are at.

 

I do think it's a good change, whether you play aau or not, because it gives kids the chance to be in the gym at their schools with coaches providing instruction. More gym time means better players and a better quality of basketball around the state.

 

What does AAU have to do with this?

What does AAU have to do with this?

 

Porky raised the question about AAU and it has been widely assumed that the rule change was made to limit the impact AAU coaches have on athletes.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.