Highlands vs. Covington Catholic

Flotsam

Ohio State v. Michigan, Yankees v. Red Sox, Fischer v. Spassky. There is nothing like a spirited rivalry. Highlands v. Cov. Cath is classic. The Bluebirds beat the Colonels in football in '07, steamrollered them in '08 & '09 and beat them last year. Cov. Cath. has dominated baseball over that period. Basketball has gone back and forth. Swimming - advantage Cov. Cath. We the People Competition - advantage Highlands, etc. etc. Both schools are blessed with great support, great academics and great kids. To start the '11-'12 tally:

Soccer - Cov. Cath. over Highlands 1-0.

Seems apropos:

From Cincy Magazine: http://cincymagazine.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=2CE771F28E0D4281817E2E034A9C57C6&nm=New+Articles&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=61465020993F438B9FCD60C66CC58CDC&tier=4&id=0588BDD6B039446AAB51A53F8082E6F0

Friday Night Lights

Classic high school rivalries fuel region's school spirit

By P. F. Wilson

BLUEGRASS BATTLES

Across the river in Northern Kentucky, there are numerous high school football rivalries, with one of the fiercest being the Highlands Bluebirds versus the Covington Catholic Colonels.

"It's akin to the Red Sox and Yankees," says former player and current Park Hills resident Michael Murphy. "My senior team," he recalls, "was predicted to win the 1992 AAA state championship after beating Highlands, 42-21, at Highlands in the regular season, but lost to the Bluebirds in the state quarterfinals, 14-7. It was a rainy Saturday that I'll likely never forget."

Oddly, it was a Bluebird loss to the Colonels in 1997 that stands out for Mike Hagedorn, a 1988 graduate of Highlands. The "Mud Bowl" was played at Highlands. "It was a playoff game, and they played it in the rain. It was a total mess." The game went into two overtimes before CovCath triumphed, 41-36.

Hagedorn never played football for Highlands, but his 10-year-old son hopes to. "He plays junior football in Fort Thomas," says Hagedorn, who helps coach his son's squad. Occasionally Highlands coach Dale Mueller will run practice for the youngsters. He ends the workouts the same way he does for the varsity team. "He does a cheerof, 'Beat CovCath,' with the kids,'" says Hagedorn.

The contests are so intense partly because Highlands and CovCath are two of the most dominant teams in the Commonwealth. "In a year when both teams are good," says CovCath coach David Wirth, "we know we're going to play them twice." That's because in order to advance in the playoffs, the two teams often face each other in the postseason.

Murphy notes that the CovCath/Highlands big-school rivalry is matched in intensity by the small-school rivalry at Dayton and Bellevue. "They're river towns next to each other in Campbell County," Murphy explains. "Both are small schools, very few players, but the cities live and die by their teams, and their game is usually a huge event every year."

Look for a 9 iron sharpened spike polo shirted we'll shall fight them in the sand trap, we shall fight them in the fairway, death match on September 6th when the Colonels and Bluebirds mix it up @ Highland County Club.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm guessing the basketball, baseball, soccer, golf, track and field & swimming kids (and parents) might see it differently.

I'm sure they do, and I was partially kidding. I would love for the Colonels to handle them in every sort of competition, whether it be athletics or academics. It's just that Football has a special place in my heart.