Northeastern KY Pre-Season Top 10

Oldrambler, Ram and myself tried this back in 2008 but it never really materialized. Does anyone have an opinion on this year's local teams and where they stack up against each other. I know that Ashland is loaded with talent and speed but do not have a lot experience on the OL and DL. Still, I think they have to be considered the top team in the area until proven otherwise.

1. Ashland

2. Johnson Central

3. Rowan County

4. Greenup County

5. Raceland

6. Russell

7. Fairview

8. Lawrence County

9. Paintsville

10. Boyd County

If Ashland is better than JC, then Ashland will be loaded this year. With Hall, Jude and Bratton returning to JC's backfield, they should be very, very strong on O running the ball. Those three also return on defense, as do several other starters, so I'd think their D will be strong also. Not sure what returning linemen they have though. I assume they have at least D linemen returning because they started a freshman last year on the D line.

If Ashland is better than JC, then Ashland will be loaded this year. With Hall, Jude and Bratton returning to JC's backfield, they should be very, very strong on O running the ball. Those three also return on defense, as do several other starters, so I'd think their D will be strong also. Not sure what returning linemen they have though. I assume they have at least D linemen returning because they started a freshman last year on the D line.

I think that these 2 teams (Ashland and Johnson Central) will work this one out on the field but it will make for good fodder until that occurs.

Here is how I see it right now. Ashland will have a very fast team, but like my Raceland, they need to find some linemen. Johnson Central is number one until someone in the area beats them, I put stock in Ashland doing that last year but they weren't up to the task.

Rowan County with Cross is going to put points on the board, we will have to see what their defense does.

Lawrence County coming off the biggest turn around in state history still has some players and will do well this year. They have a very strong line.

I think Raceland, Russell, and Greenup County about even right now, Raceland needs some linemen to step up, Russell is going to be very small, and Greenup has to prove themselves before anyone is going to move them up.

Fairview has some new found talent, three transfers from WV, we will have to see what happens there.

Boyd and West are doing better, we will have to see much.

1. Johnson Central

2. Ashland

3. Rowan County

4. Lawrence County

5. Raceland

6. Russell

7. Greenup County

8. Fairview

9. Boyd County

10. West Carter

... Johnson Central is number one until someone in the area beats them ...

... Greenup has to prove themselves before anyone is going to move them up ...

1. Johnson Central

2. Ashland

3. Rowan County

4. Lawrence County

5. Raceland

6. Russell

7. Greenup County

8. Fairview

9. Boyd County

10. West Carter

I completley agree with these two statements that you made above. JC has to be number 1 until someone beats them and Greenup has some proving to do. I also agree with your ranking, except I would put Lawrence County ahead of Rowan County.

I'm told Ashland has about 15 potential linemen that could step up and play this year. But, they have some proving to do too. Trent Hardy retuns to the line and he was a difference maker last year especially on defense.

1. Johnson Central

2. Ashland

3. Russell

4. Rowan County

5. Raceland

6. Lawrence County

7. Fairview

7. Greenup County

9. Boyd County

10. West Carter

WOW, B-O. I figured you would have Russell #1 and Raceland towards the bottom. LOL

Johnson Central and Ashland in my opinion are the obvious elite in this group. Let me be the first (or one of the first) to predict that JC will lead the state in rushing if they stay healthy. I'd put LC third because that coaching staff really is building this program back to what it used to be. I started to take Raceland off completely just to watch Ram go through the roof.. :lol: I just couldn't do it though. They really are going to be a good team but noone on this list will be in Ashland or JC's class this year.

1. Johnson Central

2. Ashland

3. Lawrence County

4. Rowan County

5. Raceland

6. Russell

7. Greenup County

8. Fairview

9. Boyd County

10. West Carter