Steelers sign Hampton... place franchise tag on Jeff Reed

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think franchising a kicker is that bad of a deal if you can save money in the process.

In the Bengals situation, they did not have anyone else that they would franchise. TJ Houshmanzadeh probably should've been the choice, but he was so unhappy here that getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.

I don't know enough about the Steelers roster to decide if this is a good move or not. But, if they saved money, it's fine by me. I also hope that Reed has a similar season to Shayne Graham as a franchise kicker. :thumb:

^ It worked out well for the Bengals. They got out of paying Graham a long term deal and wasting the money on someone else.

Indeed it did, but NFL contracts are not guaranteed so releasing someone who is locked up long-term is not a huge issue.

With that said, if the Bengals had signed him to a long-term deal, he'd be kicking next year.

I don't think franchising a kicker is that bad of a deal if you can save money in the process.

In the Bengals situation, they did not have anyone else that they would franchise. TJ Houshmanzadeh probably should've been the choice, but he was so unhappy here that getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.

I don't know enough about the Steelers roster to decide if this is a good move or not. But, if they saved money, it's fine by me. I also hope that Reed has a similar season to Shayne Graham as a franchise kicker. :thumb:

:banana:

:lol: no way...