Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Question For the Refs

Featured Replies

The following is a video of a play from the Warren Central/Russellville game two nights ago. The score is 67-59, arrow favoring Russellville. It is Warren Central's ball, but as you'll see they lose it at the beginning of the clip. During the course of the play, a Russellville player goes to the ground injured, this following a Russellville shot in the scrum for the rebound. Warren Central rebounds the ball. In watching the course of events, whose ball is this supposed to be once the whistle blows and why? Also, should the whistle have blown sooner?

 

A few things to think about (not sure if written or just practiced):

 

1) The only time you're supposed to stop an opponant's advance is in the event of serious head injury or if the player is in danger (aka laying in the lane where they are playing).

2) It appears that by the time the official realized the player was injured, the opponant had the ball going down the court.

3) The injury was an ankle and the injured player was nowhere near the play.

4) The officials stopped play at the next opportunity (kick).

 

Looks like a good job. The trail official even stayed with the injured player according to protocol. The ball goes back to the white team on the kick.

  • Author

OK, I understand all the way until you say the ball goes to the white team on the kick. Why is that?

It should be blue ball on the kick. I think he had a color blindness moment :clap:

  • Author
It should be blue ball on the kick. I think he had a color blindness moment :clap:

 

Well, I want to make certain of that, because that's exactly what they did, was give the ball to the team in white (Russellville). I was incredulous.

It should be blue ball on the kick. I think he had a color blindness moment :clap:

 

I did -- ball to the team that did not kick it. Blue Ball!!!

  • Author
I did -- ball to the team that did not kick it. Blue Ball!!!

 

I appreciate you confirming that I was not crazy and unjustified in my furor over the call. These days I try to make sure before I go too far b/c Clyde is sure to show me the error of my ways!

"why was there only two officials assigned to this game?

 

Everything was done correctly as the rule book indicates in this play in regarding the loose ball and injured player.

 

Blue should have the ball following the kick by the white team. Throw in should take place on the baseline

  • Author

Typically out of district games that aren't all that big only have to officials around here. I never figured out what possible justification they had for giving Russellville the ball. They didn't call a jump because the arrow remained with Russellville. Even if they didn't see that it was kicked, it was still WC's possession when they blew the whistle, and it was coming down for a rebound when the player went down. Coach Riley was trying to tell the refs that the ball was kicked, but to no avail. It ended up being a little bit key as Russellville drew within 6 on that possession, forced a turnover, and then hit a three to close the gap even further. They eventually lost by 1 point.

Did the official give the kick signal when he blew the whistle?

  • Author
Did the official give the kick signal when he blew the whistle?

To be honest, I'm not certain. We were filming the play, and he blew it dead over by where the player was. Had he not, what would have been the call or justification for blowing the play dead?

To be honest, I'm not certain. We were filming the play, and he blew it dead over by where the player was. Had he not, what would have been the call or justification for blowing the play dead?

 

It had to be for the kick. Hard to come up with a potential reason for giving the ball back to the defense.

]"why was there only two officials assigned to this game?[/b]

Everything was done correctly as the rule book indicates in this play in regarding the loose ball and injured player.

 

Blue should have the ball following the kick by the white team. Throw in should take place on the baseline

 

I think it is the home schools choice(2 or 3). IMO I'm not sure you get a better called game with 3 refs.

 

I witnessed an injury play 3 years ago where a kid was at mid court playing defense on the ball, a brutal elbow was thrown knocking the defender to the floor, unconscious with a deep gash above his eye. Surrounded by 3 refs, no foul was called, and play continued to the other end of the floor until a basket was made.

 

I'm sure that the high school refs are all doing the best they can, but I think they are very inconsistent.

 

When I look at how college games are called, I think their is a huge jump in quality compared to high school.

I'm sure that the high school refs are all doing the best they can, but I think they are very inconsistent.

 

When I look at how college games are called, I think their is a huge jump in quality compared to high school.

 

Here are a couple thoughts regarding high school vs. college officials.

 

First - If you are referring to the college games that you see on TV, you are talking about officials that are paid up to $1,000 or more per game. When compared to the $50 - $60 bucks a game that the high school officials are paid it would make sense that the college guys seem to call a better game. That makes it quite a bit easier to spend time and money attending camps to improve your craft when you are making 10 to 20 times the fee.

 

Secondly - The higher the level of play, the easier the game is to call. College games are played at a much higher skill level than high school games and that makes for an easier game to referee. Granted, the speed is much greater and things happen quicker, but you eliminate most of the awkwardness that you see in high school games. Keep in mind, only a very low percentage of high school players go on to play in college so the quality is much higher.

 

Thirdly - If you are talking about smaller college (Div III, Div II or NAIA), most of these officials are the same guys that call high school games and can make the travel work. So the major difference would be the quality of the play. You would also only have the best HS officials working these college games so that would also give you better officiated games.

 

All in all, the quality of officiating obviously improves as the level of play improves. NBA officials are the best, college officials do a better job than most HS guys and you don't expect to see too many 5th/6th grade games being officiated by the better HS varsity officials.

Here are a couple thoughts regarding high school vs. college officials.

 

First - If you are referring to the college games that you see on TV, you are talking about officials that are paid up to $1,000 or more per game. When compared to the $50 - $60 bucks a game that the high school officials are paid it would make sense that the college guys seem to call a better game. That makes it quite a bit easier to spend time and money attending camps to improve your craft when you are making 10 to 20 times the fee.

 

Secondly - The higher the level of play, the easier the game is to call. College games are played at a much higher skill level than high school games and that makes for an easier game to referee. Granted, the speed is much greater and things happen quicker, but you eliminate most of the awkwardness that you see in high school games. Keep in mind, only a very low percentage of high school players go on to play in college so the quality is much higher.

 

Thirdly - If you are talking about smaller college (Div III, Div II or NAIA), most of these officials are the same guys that call high school games and can make the travel work. So the major difference would be the quality of the play. You would also only have the best HS officials working these college games so that would also give you better officiated games.

 

All in all, the quality of officiating obviously improves as the level of play improves. NBA officials are the best, college officials do a better job than most HS guys and you don't expect to see too many 5th/6th grade games being officiated by the better HS varsity officials.

 

What he said:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.