To Recuse or Not!!!!

Saturday night I watched as one of the officials from Friday nights game between P. C and Bourbon Co. was in attendance for the finals. He decided to sit on the Montgomery Co. side. Coincidence ? I don't think so considering what appeared to be his children were wearing all Montgomery Co. garb. The Bluegrass Assoc. covers 3 regions, I feel that during the districts and regionals that officials should not be calling a game that may have implications for a respective school district that they may have ties to, the assigning secretary for the officials should be aware of any possible improprieties that could occur from such situations. I do not question a persons integrity in this position, however, they should realize the possible problems that could occur and RECUSE themselves from this. Because the Bluegrass Assoc. covers such a large area with 3 regions this should never happen! Anyone have any comments to the contrare?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing wrong with him sitting on the Montgomery Co. side. He has to sit somewhere! And if his kids are Montgomery Co. students...they have to go to school somewhere! They can wear whatever garb they want. They're students first and cheering on their school is their perogative.

The gentleman you are questionning should probably not officiate the games of the school where his children attend. Sounds like this official called the P.C.-Bourbon Co. game which is fine.

Officials do adhere to a ethics pledge to not give an impression of a conflict of interest. Some people are just hyper-sensitive and take it to the extremes. In the case you lay out, I see nothing done improperly.

Saturday night I watched as one of the officials from Friday nights game between P. C and Bourbon Co. was in attendance for the finals. He decided to sit on the Montgomery Co. side. Coincidence ? I don't think so considering what appeared to be his children were wearing all Montgomery Co. garb. The Bluegrass Assoc. covers 3 regions, I feel that during the districts and regionals that officials should not be calling a game that may have implications for a respective school district that they may have ties to, the assigning secretary for the officials should be aware of any possible improprieties that could occur from such situations. I do not question a persons integrity in this position, however, they should realize the possible problems that could occur and RECUSE themselves from this. Because the Bluegrass Assoc. covers such a large area with 3 regions this should never happen! Anyone have any comments to the contrare?

:thumb: I happen to notice the same thing myself Digger. You are 100%correct.

Nothing wrong with him sitting on the Montgomery Co. side. He has to sit somewhere! And if his kids are Montgomery Co. students...they have to go to school somewhere! They can wear whatever garb they want. They're students first and cheering on their school is their perogative.

The gentleman you are questionning should probably not officiate the games of the school where his children attend. Sounds like this official called the P.C.-Bourbon Co. game which is fine.

Officials do adhere to a ethics pledge to not give an impression of a conflict of interest. Some people are just hyper-sensitive and take it to the extremes. In the case you lay out, I see nothing done improperly.

This is not a case of being hyper sensitive, however, the P.C. and Bourbon Co. game did have strong implications for Montgomery Co., therefore he should not have put himself in that position. If I were Montgomery Co. who would I want to play? P.C. or Bourbon Co., after Saturday night I guess that would be obvious.

They could have had the principals of Montgomery and Bourbon officiate the games and it wouldn't have stopped their march through the region. Once they got by Brossart in the districts, and no disrespect to the other teams, simply fact; it was game, set, match!!

First of all, obviously you watched the official much more than you did the game, because only one child sat with that official not children. Yes, he does have children that attend Mont. Co schools. Should his children become unbiased due to the fact that their father happens to be a BBA official? Is it a crime that he takes his children to a game or two a year? Maybe that was the only game he could attend with his family this year because he was not officiating for a mere $55 a night. It's a shame that fans like you don't have more to worry about than whether an official who is not officiating attends ballgames. Are they suppose to be inhuman and not attend games when their local school district is playing in the regional finals? Yes as a Mont. Co. fan, had he been officiating that game last night I and I'm sure several other people would have been disturbed. Attending a game in which he is not officiating is not against KHSAA rules as I see many officials at games including the one last night. If you had looked closer in the stands you might have spotted a few other officials who were even proud enough to wear Mont. Co. "GARB".

The BBA only covers 2 regions, the 10th and 11th region, not 3 as you stated. The assigning secretary is fully aware of where each official lives. Referees have no say in where they are assigned for district and region games, or regular season games for that matter. That is decided with the help of coaches and the BBA assigning secretary.

Maybe you don't know this official very well. He has been around since the late 80's officiating in the 10th and 11th region and has done several regional finals the last few years. I'm sure the assigning secretary would not have placed him in those finals year after year if there had been a question about his integrity in those games or his ability to make the calls or even where he lived.

The officials stay in this region at the coaches' request. In the early 1990's officials were pulled in from other regions to call regional games if I remember correctly. The coaches were disappointed with that decision and wanted the BBA officials to stay here and call the regional games, as they are regarded as some of the best in the state.

First of all, obviously you watched the official much more than you did the game, because only one child sat with that official not children. Yes, he does have children that attend Mont. Co schools. Should his children become unbiased due to the fact that their father happens to be a BBA official? Is it a crime that he takes his children to a game or two a year? Maybe that was the only game he could attend with his family this year because he was not officiating for a mere $55 a night. It's a shame that fans like you don't have more to worry about than whether an official who is not officiating attends ballgames. Are they suppose to be inhuman and not attend games when their local school district is playing in the regional finals? Yes as a Mont. Co. fan, had he been officiating that game last night I and I'm sure several other people would have been disturbed. Attending a game in which he is not officiating is not against KHSAA rules as I see many officials at games including the one last night. If you had looked closer in the stands you might have spotted a few other officials who were even proud enough to wear Mont. Co. "GARB".

The BBA only covers 2 regions, the 10th and 11th region, not 3 as you stated. The assigning secretary is fully aware of where each official lives. Referees have no say in where they are assigned for district and region games, or regular season games for that matter. That is decided with the help of coaches and the BBA assigning secretary.

Maybe you don't know this official very well. He has been around since the late 80's officiating in the 10th and 11th region and has done several regional finals the last few years. I'm sure the assigning secretary would not have placed him in those finals year after year if there had been a question about his integrity in those games or his ability to make the calls or even where he lived.

The officials stay in this region at the coaches' request. In the early 1990's officials were pulled in from other regions to call regional games if I remember correctly. The coaches were disappointed with that decision and wanted the BBA officials to stay here and call the regional games, as they are regarded as some of the best in the state.

Wow, talk about being hyper-sensitive. If the official in question is a Montgomery Co. alum or has children who attend Montgomery Co. then this

official should not be involved in any game that involves Montgomery Cty or

any tournament game that may have direct ramifications involving Montgy.

CTy. Pretty simple in my opinion. Montgomery Cty could have had 3 of their

players parents ref. this game and the outcome would have been the same on this night. PC was just to much for Montgy. Cty.

Sounds like some people need to get a life. Why don't you research every official every year that calls the 10th region, I'm sure you will find something wrong w/ every person. If you look hard enough, you will always find somewhere down the line where you could make something up. There was another ref in the 1st game from BC, does that mean he cheated for MC? No way. What about the ref in the PC/BC game from HC, does that mean he could have cheated if HC won 1st game? Never. Get a life people. Those that think refs are out there to cheat for a school playing in another game need something else in life to worry about.

Talk about getting a life, Did anyone seriously read my post in the contexted that it was written. My complaint is with the assigning Secretary of the Bluegrass Asso., yes I did see other officials, however they did not call a game that had direct implications on the outcome for a particular school that they might have attachments to. I never once questioned this officials integrity, I did question the secretaries ability to schedule officials the officials properly!! My question was to remove any doubt that might be created in this particular situation.

I never once questioned this officials integrity, I did question the secretaries ability to schedule officials the officials properly!! My question was to remove any doubt that might be created in this particular situation.

Why question the A.S.? He probably knows more than anyone who needs to be on that game. I know people that would rather have an official on the game that graduated from their opponent than anyone else because they know they'll get their best effort and will be as fair as anyone.

The situation you refer to probably could have been avoided but a person should not be punished or kept out of games just because of where he lives, graduated, children attends, etc.

Talk about getting a life, Did anyone seriously read my post in the contexted that it was written. My complaint is with the assigning Secretary of the Bluegrass Asso., yes I did see other officials, however they did not call a game that had direct implications on the outcome for a particular school that they might have attachments to. I never once questioned this officials integrity, I did question the secretaries ability to schedule officials the officials properly!! My question was to remove any doubt that might be created in this particular situation.

What if that was the only game he could work that night?? I.E. scratches, other MORE IMPORTANT conflicts of interest, etc.

I read your comments and found them to be totally silly. First of all the BBA workd 2 regions not 3. 2nd no official in the BBA works their hometown schools games. 3rd the assigning secretary does a good job putting the right officials on the tournament games. He wouldnt create a conflict of interest. 4th The reason I know all this is im a member of the BBA. 5th After reading your comments I have figured out that your team probably got beat and are looking for a reason to gripe. I go to games all the time when im not officiating and sit where I want. It has no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever. You need to get a life. By the way, were you there to watch the game or pick officials out in the crowd.