To Recuse or Not!!!!

Despite anything; an official should not call a game one night that is directly related to a game the next night where he favors someone. It just gives that person too much power over an outcome that they might favor. If the state wants me to call the Pendleton games this year, I'll do it for free and I'll carry the Wildcats to the title.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read your comments and found them to be totally silly. First of all the BBA workd 2 regions not 3. 2nd no official in the BBA works their hometown schools games. 3rd the assigning secretary does a good job putting the right officials on the tournament games. He wouldnt create a conflict of interest. 4th The reason I know all this is im a member of the BBA. 5th After reading your comments I have figured out that your team probably got beat and are looking for a reason to gripe. I go to games all the time when im not officiating and sit where I want. It has no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever. You need to get a life. By the way, were you there to watch the game or pick officials out in the crowd.

This is another case of an official being on BGP's when in all honesty you can't

give an objective opinion in this matter at all. Every time I read comments from someone regarding officials that follows your way of thinking sooner or later it comes out that you are an official or someone very close to the organization. You guys are never open to any criticism, just like many of you are when you are on the floor. Digger simply made an observation and gave an opinion which is what this site is all about and you can agree or disagree

but the personal attacks are unnecessary and immature and make any point

you are trying to make look very childish. By the way your 5th point couldn't be further from the truth. I believe Digger

will be in Rupp Arena on Wed. watching his team play in the Greatest Show on Earth. What's your team going to be doing? :D

Listen bottom line. Nobody should officate in a regional tourney where they have allegiance to one of the partcipating schools. Say what you will, but that is just how it should be to avoid any problems or finger pointing.

Wouldn't all, or at least most of the refs for the 10th and 11th live inside the region. That means almost everyone of them would have a connection to one of the schools. I just don't think your point has much validity. Are you saying that he "cheated" in some way to help Montgomery Co. a team that didn't play, or are you just complaining because you got nothing better to do?

Due what the 9th did and take refs from outside the region. Not all refs who ref inside a region have strong ties to particular schools. Say what you will, I'm not to familar with this situation. But I don't think a ref should be officating a final four of a region when the school his child or children attend are still alive and well.

Due what the 9th did and take refs from outside the region. Not all refs who ref inside a region have strong ties to particular schools. Say what you will, I'm not to familar with this situation. But I don't think a ref should be officating a final four of a region when the school his child or children attend are still alive and well.

:thumb: You are absolutely correct on this one, BN.

I have been quick to criticize the 9th region refs in the past but the decision

to change regions for the tourney was a very good decision whomever it was made by..

I read your comments and found them to be totally silly. First of all the BBA workd 2 regions not 3. 2nd no official in the BBA works their hometown schools games. 3rd the assigning secretary does a good job putting the right officials on the tournament games. He wouldnt create a conflict of interest. 4th The reason I know all this is im a member of the BBA. 5th After reading your comments I have figured out that your team probably got beat and are looking for a reason to gripe. I go to games all the time when im not officiating and sit where I want. It has no bearing on the outcome of the game whatsoever. You need to get a life. By the way, were you there to watch the game or pick officials out in the crowd.

I feel sorry for the BBA if you are a member, because you just did'nt get it. I could care less if this official or any other official attend ballgames, however, I do care if there are connections from games that this official calls that may be misconstrued. I only mentioned this thread out of general concern for officials. And yes I refereed for 10 yrs. so I do know a little myself. And further more I do notice people when they sit right in front of me, I try to pay attention to my surroundings. This is not as if I was looking for something!!!! Again for you Bozo's please take the text as it was intended, and not as if it is a capital crime for officials to attend games as a spectator!!!

:thumb: You are absolutely correct on this one, BN.

I have been quick to criticize the 9th region refs in the past but the decision

to change regions for the tourney was a very good decision whomever it was made by..

You know, this won't work either. Many officials, including myself, realize the mentality of some ( :cry: ) people thinking that officials don't need to be on their schools games so many work a neighboring region's association. So if I went to school in the 13 and have many ties to several of the 13th's school, I'll work the 12. Now when the 13th switches with the 12, I'm right back working 13 games. 99.9999999% of the time, officials don't have a problem working their old schools when they have to. I've had my old school in district and regional games and nobody would ever know I went to school there. Although most do and they don't mind having me on the game because they know when I'm there, both teams are at a disadvantage. :D

Pretty sure I've read on here where these officials try and leave every year but the Policy Board won't let them. They have the final say who works their regional tournament, not the officials or even the assigning secretary. I think this thread has run its course and should be retired!

I do not question a persons integrity in this position, however, they should realize the possible problems that could occur and RECUSE themselves from this.

It appears to me that the original post did reflect that the official in question should have recused himself. It did appear that you later decided that it should have been the assigning secretary's job to take the official in question out of the game.

Basically what you guys are saying is that if you want to be a high school official you should move out of your home region, not have children, friends who have children, friends, or even acquaintances because that might cloud your vision. What you might not realize is that officials are rated by the assigning secretary and by the coaches. The officials who make it to the semi-finals in the region have to be ranked in the top 10-15 in the BBA. I don't think coaches or the assigning secretary would rank an official that high if they thought for one minute that they would be biased based on where their children happen to live and attend school. Maybe the official in question should send his children out of region to school so he could officiate without ties.

Furthermore, I already stated that the 10th and 11th region coaches and policy board members have attempted to go outside the region for regional tourney officials. They were not satisfied and soon decided that they preferred the BBA officials even though most of them live and have TIES to either the 10th or 11th region and sometimes both. Most, if not all coaches in the 10th and 11th regions think that the level of officiating in the BBA is superior to other surrounding regions. Actually the officials would prefer to go outside the region for tournements, but stay in at coaches and policy board members request.

It appears to me that the original post did reflect that the official in question should have recused himself. It did appear that you later decided that it should have been the assigning secretary's job to take the official in question out of the game.

Basically what you guys are saying is that if you want to be a high school official you should move out of your home region, not have children, friends who have children, friends, or even acquaintances because that might cloud your vision. What you might not realize is that officials are rated by the assigning secretary and by the coaches. The officials who make it to the semi-finals in the region have to be ranked in the top 10-15 in the BBA. I don't think coaches or the assigning secretary would rank an official that high if they thought for one minute that they would be biased based on where their children happen to live and attend school. Maybe the official in question should send his children out of region to school so he could officiate without ties.

Furthermore, I already stated that the 10th and 11th region coaches and policy board members have attempted to go outside the region for regional tourney officials. They were not satisfied and soon decided that they preferred the BBA officials even though most of them live and have TIES to either the 10th or 11th region and sometimes both. Most, if not all coaches in the 10th and 11th regions think that the level of officiating in the BBA is superior to other surrounding regions. Actually the officials would prefer to go outside the region for tournements, but stay in at coaches and policy board members request.

I agree with some of your content, but this could have been easily solved by having 10th call in the 11th and vice versa. Something so simple could be easily resolved by this method. Yes, they are all BBA Officials, but I'm sure they call in both, so at tourney time just move them from their home region and case is closed. I do appreciate all the input, I have actually enjoyed it both pro and con.

I agree with some of your content, but this could have been easily solved by having 10th call in the 11th and vice versa. Something so simple could be easily resolved by this method. Yes, they are all BBA Officials, but I'm sure they call in both, so at tourney time just move them from their home region and case is closed. I do appreciate all the input, I have actually enjoyed it both pro and con.

What you are failing to realize is that there can be conflicts in both regions.

Couldn't disagree more with you. For the most part, (there are some bad ones just like ANY profession) we have good officials in the BBA. Who are you going to trade with? The 9th officials are not good. The 16th officials are not good. The 11th is the same officials as the 10th. The 8th, really have not been exposed to them enough to make a call. If I have a choice between our BBA officials and the 9th or 16th, in a HEARTBEAT, I stick with our BBA officials.

They do a good job and coaches can scratch ones they do not like. That scratch system from what I understand carries on into postseason.

Bottom line is that the A.S. duty is to put the best official on the game, not to please everyone. He has to take into consideration any conflicts such as those that have been mentioned. However, if official Baker is the number one rated official in the region and needs to be on a particular game, the A.S. shouldn't put in a lower rated official (Ralph) to please some paranoid fan. If he does and Ralph blows several calls, then everyone is on the A.S. for assigning a low rated official.

As for post season scratches, I don't know that they do apply. I think that most A.S.'s will try to honor them or work around situations but using scratches in post season could hurt an officials ability to move on even if he is the 1 or 2 rated official. Some coaches simply scratch officials because they have personal conflict with them. It may have nothing to do with the officials ability. I've seen coaches use scratches to gain an advantage. They may want a lower rated official that they can work rather than the highest rated official that blocks him out.

• 11 months later...

When this thread was started last year, it created alot of ruckus. However, in light of what has happened in the 7th Region this year I felt the need to bring it up again!! I know that some regions have gone to exchanging their officials with another region. Such as this year the 9th Region used 5th Region Officials and the 9th were sent to another region(whick one I don't know). Seems to make sense to me, these situations would not exist with some proper planning and cooperation from the various regions' assigning secretaries.