Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Should there be a DH in High school baseball?

Featured Replies

Whats everyones oppinion on the DH in high school baseball?

Yes! The DH mean more kids get to play, so yes I am in favor of the DH.

Yes! The DH mean more kids get to play, so yes I am in favor of the DH.
:thumb: Also allows a Pitcher to DH, that might have just pitched the day before, possibly a tired arm or in a double-header situation.

Don't a lot of teams already do this with the AH? I know when I was in high school many years ago, on days I didn't play the field, I was still in the lineup because I was one of our better hitters. I'd assume a lot of teams still do the same thing these days?

Don't a lot of teams already do this with the AH? I know when I was in high school many years ago, on days I didn't play the field, I was still in the lineup because I was one of our better hitters. I'd assume a lot of teams still do the same thing these days?
You mean "Additional Hitter"?
Don't a lot of teams already do this with the AH? I know when I was in high school many years ago, on days I didn't play the field, I was still in the lineup because I was one of our better hitters. I'd assume a lot of teams still do the same thing these days?

 

Gee Eta Rho, I got the impression that you were much older but if you played with a AH, you aren't that old! :lol::thumb:

 

Now back in my day, no AH, no DH, no PR, once you were taken out, you were out, for the rest of the game...and you had to use a wooden bat.....

 

While I don't like all the AH, DH etc. in the college game or the DH in the MLB, I love the fact that the hs kids today get to play so much more than my generation of HS ballplayers did. It's just great to see so many kids get to play the game I love....

High school does not allow for an AH, does it? (Fairly certain it does not). It allows for a DH who may hit for anyone in the lineup, as opposed to the pros where the DH can only hit for the P. And I am very much in favor of this DH rule in HS to allow coaches to give more kids an opportunity. Heck, I'd be in favor of adding an AH also, for the exact same reason.

High school does not allow for an AH, does it? (Fairly certain it does not). It allows for a DH who may hit for anyone in the lineup, as opposed to the pros where the DH can only hit for the P. And I am very much in favor of this DH rule in HS to allow coaches to give more kids an opportunity. Heck, I'd be in favor of adding an AH also, for the exact same reason.
:thumb: You will see some JV, Freshmen or Middle School programs, which use the AH to get more involved.

 

A lot of summer teams, use the AH.

Absolutely not. The American League DH's the pitcher all the time which I believe is OK if the entire league does that, and I don't like the idea of DHing for a right fielder or something in high school. It just doesn't seem right to me. If you play the field, you should hit too. I like how the National League does it in the MLB anyways.

High school does not allow for an AH, does it? (Fairly certain it does not). It allows for a DH who may hit for anyone in the lineup, as opposed to the pros where the DH can only hit for the P. And I am very much in favor of this DH rule in HS to allow coaches to give more kids an opportunity. Heck, I'd be in favor of adding an AH also, for the exact same reason.

 

Are you sure? I thought they technically could DH for whomever they wanted but obviously the pitcher is the #1 choice 99% of the time.

Are you sure? I thought they technically could DH for whomever they wanted but obviously the pitcher is the #1 choice 99% of the time.
You are correct, the DH, can hit for any player in the lineup. It's not solely for the Pitcher in High School.
Are you sure? I thought they technically could DH for whomever they wanted but obviously the pitcher is the #1 choice 99% of the time.

 

Not in the pros. The DH may only hit in the spot of the pitcher. High school allows for the DH to hit for anyone in the field.

I personally like the idea of a DH in high school ball because for pitchers who had pitched a previous day, or a better hitter not in the lineup for some reason can still contribute to the game. Also some players are weak at hitting and great fielders and vice versa. Which was an issue with players in my freshman year. In my case I am injured but will soon be cleared to bat. So a DH has its advantages and can help out with many day to day situations.

Edited by Ram
Rule 13

Absolutely not. The American League DH's the pitcher all the time which I believe is OK if the entire league does that, and I don't like the idea of DHing for a right fielder or something in high school. It just doesn't seem right to me. If you play the field, you should hit too. I like how the National League does it in the MLB anyways.

 

All high schools play by NFHS rules, so they are in essense all playing in the same league.

Not in the pros. The DH may only hit in the spot of the pitcher. High school allows for the DH to hit for anyone in the field.

 

Coop knows his rules. In MLB the DH can only be used for the starting pitcher and any subsequent pitchers.

 

OBR 6.10 b

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.