"BluegrassPreps.com Game of the Week" Rockcastle County 7 Sheldon Clark 6 (2000)

Ram

Teams and Score: Rockcastle County 7 Sheldon Clark 6

Year: 2000

RS or PO: 3A Playoffs Regional Championship

Details why this game should be the "Game of the Week":

Rock was 12-0 coming into the game and Sheldon Clark was 11-1, only losing to Beechwood earlier that year. Rock beat SC 31-14 the year before in the 2nd round and SC had a senior dominated team coming back in 2000 that was supposed to take on Highlands in the Semi's that year. The game was obvisiously a defensive battle and the scoring came near the end of the game. SC was down 7-0 and a long run set up their TD. They elected to go for two with 1 minute to go in the game for the win, the Rock's defense was ranked in the top 3 of the state that year as well as SC and the 2 points conversion attempt was intercepted in the endzone by Marty Reagan, to seal their fate 7-6. The game was recorded as being -8 windchill that night, coldest game I've ever been to.

If you have a nomination for the "Bluegrasspreps.com Game of the Week", please visit this link. You can nominate more then one game. Your nomination does not have to be a playoff or Championship game, just a great game that exemplifies Kentucky High School Football.

Teams and Score: Rockcastle County 7 Sheldon Clark 6

Year: 2000

RS or PO: 3A Playoffs Regional Championship

Details why this game should be the "Game of the Week":

Rock was 12-0 coming into the game and Sheldon Clark was 11-1, only losing to Beechwood earlier that year. Rock beat SC 31-14 the year before in the 2nd round and SC had a senior dominated team coming back in 2000 that was supposed to take on Highlands in the Semi's that year. The game was obvisiously a defensive battle and the scoring came near the end of the game. SC was down 7-0 and a long run set up their TD. They elected to go for two with 1 minute to go in the game for the win, the Rock's defense was ranked in the top 3 of the state that year as well as SC and the 2 points conversion attempt was intercepted in the endzone by Marty Reagan, to seal their fate 7-6. The game was recorded as being -8 windchill that night, coldest game I've ever been to.

I dont remember it being quite that cold. Maybe because it was such a great game.

That was a great high school football game. I kinda wish that SC would have won so that their would have been a SC-Lawrence County rematch. Earlier that year the cards beat the dogs at home. That was a really good Rock team that set the pace for the years to follow. SC had one of the best teams that they ever had that year and was a team that I thought would win that game; but you can never tell what will happen on any given night.

That was a great high school football game. I kinda wish that SC would have won so that their would have been a SC-Lawrence County rematch. Earlier that year the cards beat the dogs at home. That was a really good Rock team that set the pace for the years to follow. SC had one of the best teams that they ever had that year and was a team that I thought would win that game; but you can never tell what will happen on any given night.

There wouldn't have been a rematch of LC and SC, the next game would've been against Highlands. Rock beat Lawrence County out the week before in the secondround 49-0.

There wouldn't have been a rematch of LC and SC, the next game would've been against Highlands. Rock beat Lawrence County out the week before in the secondround 49-0.

You are right!!! :thumb: But I believe they beat LC the first round.

I want to say a Dials kid scored for Sheldon Clark, maybe Adam Dials. Derrick Bussell scored for Rockcastle County. I wish someone from Sheldon Clark was on this site. I can remember that their school had a sports blog similiar to this one and the whole week leading up to the rematch people on both sides were talking SMACK. That night when we got home from the game, the site had been removed. I'll never forget that. Also the game tape is MIA, Rockcastle County never had a copy because of camera failures, it was never recorded and Sheldon Clark stated they had already given the game to a Highlands scout, that they never wanted a copy anyway so they gave their only copy away. As far as I know a HHS staff member was contacted that week and they had already copied over the film, so I don't believe a copy exist for this game. Very sad, it was Rockcastle's 1st Regional Championship.