Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mason County

Featured Replies

Don't get me wrong here, being a former Mason Co player and obviously a little biased toward them I just had one question to ask. Looking at their schedule and espically with hardly any cupcakes on it through the months of January-February, could this be the first 10 loss season for a Mason County team in over a decade? Just asking for opinions, espically since this team is very young but may also go on a run on their own.

Don't get me wrong here, being a former Mason Co player and obviously a little biased toward them I just had one question to ask. Looking at their schedule and espically with hardly any cupcakes on it through the months of January-February, could this be the first 10 loss season for a Mason County team in over a decade? Just asking for opinions, espically since this team is very young but may also go on a run on their own.

 

 

It's possible; the schedule is very demanding especially when considering that the Royals graduated Mr. Basketball along with three more of their top 6 players from a year ago.

 

I believe that the last time Mason County had double-digit losses was in 1999-2000; when they were 16-14.

  • Author

I very well understand losing a solid group of players, being the senior class that followed the depature of Lofton, Grutza and Litzinger along with a new coach it takes awhile to find yourself and get in that groove. I'd say that year was the closest to 10 l's that we'd been in awhile. We finished 22-9 that year. Wasnt the 16-14 season the year Steve Appleman gave it a shot of coaching right before they hired Wells or am i mistaken?

Edited by mcpapa

I really think this schedule is almost a little too hard. But in the end it will only make this team stronger and work harder to correct errors. Coach Chris O'Hearn is an outstanding coach and person and he will have his team playing great in March.

  • Author

I agree with it being a little too hard, espically with such a young team. I did hear from a very reliable source that we may not see Scott County and Lex Cath on the schedule for very much longer

  • Author

Theres a difference in being a young team and having such a brutal schedule to deal with at the same time. I feel this team will be alright and will benefit but you also as a Head Coach And Athletic Director see your going to be a little down and young after losing some major players and need to make the schedule accordingly. Young teams and brutal schedules can lead to a rather long season, not saying it will happen but its a possibilty.

The schedule should prepare the Royals for the region tournament, and maybe the state tournament.

I looked at Mason Co schedule. I see a possible 7 more losses this season ( not counting tourneys) and some of those they could win.

The rest if feel they should win. Never count out Mason Co.

At the end of the day the record doesn't matter.

 

Mason Co could have 10 losses but still be at Rupp come March!

At the end of the day the record doesn't matter.

 

Mason Co could have 10 losses but still be at Rupp come March!

This is true. I remember several , several years ago. Ashland was ranked #1 in the state...but second in the region as they lost in the finals of the region that year. It is what makes Ky basketball so special.

Before the season started, I figured this Royal team would lose 5 or 6 games and that was before these two losses to Franklin and Highlands.

 

If they no longer play Lexington Catholic and Scott Co, that's fine. The next few years could have growing pains, but at the end of the day the Royals are right there for a 10th Region title.

 

Just competing and possibly winning the 10th would be considered a huge accomplishment for this group.

  • Author
Before the season started, I figured this Royal team would lose 5 or 6 games and that was before these two losses to Franklin and Highlands.

 

If they no longer play Lexington Catholic and Scott Co, that's fine. The next few years could have growing pains, but at the end of the day the Royals are right there for a 10th Region title.

 

Just competing and possibly winning the 10th would be considered a huge accomplishment for this group.

 

I agree they can compete for the 10th region title but I think it could be awfully hard this year. If I'm a 10th region coach or any other coach I put my best defender on Middleton and lock him down and make the others around him beat us. I feel like this team and offense focuse's way too much on him and although he is a tremendous ball player I don't see him having the ability to carry a team like a Darius Miller or Chris Lofton. Thats just my two cents though.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #13

I very well understand losing a solid group of players, being the senior class that followed the depature of Lofton, Grutza and Litzinger along with a new coach it takes awhile to find yourself and get in that groove. I'd say that year was the closest to 10 l's that we'd been in awhile. We finished 22-9 that year. Wasnt the 16-14 season the year Steve Appleman gave it a shot of coaching right before they hired Wells or am i mistaken?

 

Appelman's only year as HC at Mason was 1996-97 18-10 64.3%.

Edited by AHSPanther23

  • Author
Appelman's only year as HC at Mason was 1997-98 16-13.

 

I thought that was when it was but wasnt totally sure, thanks for clearing that up!:thumb:

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.