Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

The 95% Illusion

Featured Replies

This is an Opinion piece from the Wall Street Journal. I think it is extremely well-written. I have always found the Journal to call a spade a spade, particularly when it comes to business issues, it has criticized McCain many times before, and criticizes Obama here:

 

http://online.wsj.com:80/article/SB122385651698727257.html

  • Replies 35
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Author

I must have missed that. Sorry, Hoot.

I must have missed that. Sorry, Hoot.
No problem. I just did not want you to get your hopes up that Obama supporters might be troubled by the 95% lie. Maybe the issue will get more attention the second time around. :thumb:

Somebody help me with this...

 

0 divided by any positive number is less than zero. You can't divide zero by a positive number and achieve a positive number.

 

If one-third of all tax filers do not pay FICA taxes. It is impossible to give a "tax cut" to someone not contributing a positive number.

 

To say "95% of Americans will receive a tax-cut under my plan" is a lie. At best, (95 - 33 = 62) 62% could conceivably receive a "cut", but to claim 95% and keep claiming 95% is a bald-faced lie.

 

What am I missing here?

  • Author
Somebody help me with this...

 

0 divided by any positive number is less than zero. You can't divide zero by a positive number and achieve a positive number.

 

If one-third of all tax filers do not pay FICA taxes. It is impossible to give a "tax cut" to someone not contributing a positive number.

 

To say "95% of Americans will receive a tax-cut under my plan" is a lie. At best, (95 - 33 = 62) 62% could conceivably receive a "cut", but to claim 95% and keep claiming 95% is a bald-faced lie.

 

What am I missing here?

 

HHSDad? TTC? Any of you numbers people?

I would think he's speaking of 95% of tax payers. Just a guess on my part.

I would think he's speaking of 95% of tax payers. Just a guess on my part.
It is a guess, because Obama has made the following statements on multiple occasions:

 

"I want to provide a tax cut for 95% of Americans."

Source: 2008 second presidential debate against John McCain Oct 7, 2008

 

"My plan cuts taxes for most small businesses & 95% of people."

Source: 2008 second presidential debate against John McCain Oct 7, 2008

 

"Tax cut for 95% of all working families, not corporations."

Source: Speech at 2008 Democratic National Convention Aug 27, 2008

 

"I will cut taxes--cut taxes--for 95% of all working families."

Source: Speech at 2008 Democratic National Convention Aug 27, 2008

 

http://www.ontheissues.org/2008/Barack_Obama_Tax_Reform.htm

Somebody help me with this...

 

0 divided by any positive number is less than zero. You can't divide zero by a positive number and achieve a positive number.

 

If one-third of all tax filers do not pay FICA taxes. It is impossible to give a "tax cut" to someone not contributing a positive number.

 

To say "95% of Americans will receive a tax-cut under my plan" is a lie. At best, (95 - 33 = 62) 62% could conceivably receive a "cut", but to claim 95% and keep claiming 95% is a bald-faced lie.

 

What am I missing here?

 

I get what you are saying- you are technically right, but that is just getting down to semantics.

 

Now, as for the validity of the claim that he would give tax cuts to 95% of tax cuts, who knows about that.

I get what you are saying- you are technically right, but that is just getting down to semantics.

 

Now, as for the validity of the claim that he would give tax cuts to 95% of tax cuts, who knows about that.

No offense intended toward you personally at all. You are an enjoyable poster IMO.

 

The old semantics argument gets wearisome as a defense for miscues delivered by public figures. This particular plank in the Obama platform goes well beyond a mere Emily Litella style malaprop or a hasty verbal gaffe that people are using to unreasonably nail him to the wall.

 

Obama has stated on numerous occasions, both with a teleprompter and without, "I want to provide a tax cut for 95% of Americans."

 

Not 95% of taxpayers… 95% of Americans.

 

The fact that only about 67% of Americans actually pay FICA (Federal Income Tax) and assuming that even if Obama gives this plan 110% effort, it is mathematically impossible for “95% of Americans” to receive a “tax cut” making Mr. Obama either a mathematical nincompoop who would struggle to balance his own checkbook (much more so our nation’s economy), or he is simply a liar pandering to ignorant voters eager for government to do more for them.

No offense intended toward you personally at all. You are an enjoyable poster IMO.

 

The old semantics argument gets wearisome as a defense for miscues delivered by public figures. This particular plank in the Obama platform goes well beyond a mere Emily Litella style malaprop or a hasty verbal gaffe that people are using to unreasonably nail him to the wall.

 

Obama has stated on numerous occasions, both with a teleprompter and without, "I want to provide a tax cut for 95% of Americans."

 

Not 95% of taxpayers… 95% of Americans.

 

The fact that only about 67% of Americans actually pay FICA (Federal Income Tax) and assuming that even if Obama gives this plan 110% effort, it is mathematically impossible for “95% of Americans” to receive a “tax cut” making Mr. Obama either a mathematical nincompoop who would struggle to balance his own checkbook (much more so our nation’s economy), or he is simply a liar pandering to ignorant voters eager for government to do more for them.

All valid statements. The more I think about it, the more it hides the reality that most Americans already don't pay income taxes.

All valid statements. The more I think about it, the more it hides the reality that most Americans already don't pay income taxes.

 

Well, they pay income taxes they just get it back in the form of credits and deductions, according to the article most often cited. I looked into it a bit today and can't find the info from the IRS. And payroll taxes aren't deducted, if I remember correctly.

Well, they pay income taxes they just get it back in the form of credits and deductions, according to the article most often cited. I looked into it a bit today and can't find the info from the IRS. And payroll taxes aren't deducted, if I remember correctly.

If my employer withholds $3000 in FICA but I get back $5000 then I am not paying income taxes.

If my employer withholds $3000 in FICA but I get back $5000 then I am not paying income taxes.

 

Yes. I take it you didn't read the post you quoted.

  • Author
Well, they pay income taxes they just get it back in the form of credits and deductions, according to the article most often cited. I looked into it a bit today and can't find the info from the IRS. And payroll taxes aren't deducted, if I remember correctly.

 

They are if you are a small business owner.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.