Youth-Only Firearms

Einstein70

My midget will be hunting with my old man this weekend since I will be out of town, which means he will probably connect on a giant buck! Good luck to all, don't forget your hunter orange and be safe!

:thumb: Best of luck to your young hunter Doc. I hope he takes a "buck of a lifetime".

Good luck to all and doc, I hope the midget connects!

Should he kill a big buck they may have to find someone to drag grandpa doc off the ridge as well.:p:thumb:

If someone volunteers to drag grand -poppa Doc off the hill, I will volunteer to field dress him.:lol:

:thumb: Best of luck to your young hunter Doc. I hope he takes a "buck of a lifetime".

If someone volunteers to drag grand -poppa Doc off the hill, I will volunteer to field dress him.:lol:

You'll need a knife with a big "gut-hook".:laugh:

I will also be out there with my son on Saturday morning. I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing and who knows, maybe a big one will show up.

Good luck to all the young hunters. Have a safe and enjoyable hunt.

Don't want to get this thread off track, but thought I'd throw this in. Got the midget a youth model Remington 700 for Christmas in 7mm08. Put a Leupold VX1 3X9 on it and I am here to tell you, I took that thing to the range last Friday to sight it in and that thing absolutely drives nails. I sighted it in at 1" high at 100yds and put the target out at 200 and I put 3 holes in the shoot-n-see target that you can cover with a dime dead in the bull. So, I tried some different factory ammo,,,,,,same deal. I settled on 140 grain Fusions and that little joker is a better shooter than my .270 that I built (and that's with handloads). All I can say is if you're looking for a sweet shooter for your youngun, that one is a dandy!!!:ylsuper:

Don't want to get this thread off track, but thought I'd throw this in. Got the midget a youth model Remington 700 for Christmas in 7mm08. Put a Leupold VX1 3X9 on it and I am here to tell you, I took that thing to the range last Friday to sight it in and that thing absolutely drives nails. I sighted it in at 1" high at 100yds and put the target out at 200 and I put 3 holes in the shoot-n-see target that you can cover with a dime dead in the bull. So, I tried some different factory ammo,,,,,,same deal. I settled on 140 grain Fusions and that little joker is a better shooter than my .270 that I built (and that's with handloads). All I can say is if you're looking for a sweet shooter for your youngun, that one is a dandy!!!:ylsuper:

Is this a step up from a 243?

How much recoil, what would it compare too.
Frankly, I shot it alot this past weekend and shooting a 90gr bullet out of the .243 Rossi (breakdown single shot) with very little recoil pad and shooting the 140 gr. out of the 7mm08 with a nice R3 pad wasn't much different. Frankly, recoil never has deterred my son, I don't know why. He shoots a magnum load out of his muzzleloader and doesn't flinch. But, IMO, for a 75-80 lb. kid, it shouldn't be too bad. Especially if you're not firing 50 rds through it at one sitting.

Thanks, my oldest has a 243 he is 14, so I'm thinking of getting him a 7mm08 and giving his 243 to his younger brother that is 9.
That'd be a terrific choice in my opinion. I hope his 7mm08 shoots as well as my youngun's does. Good luck to both of them!!!!!!!!!!:thumb: