Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Somerset 44 Garrard County 27

Featured Replies

Somerset ran and passed all over Garrard County tonight. The young Lions defense didn't tackle near well enough to win the ballgame. The Garrard offense was effective at times, but not nearly consistent enough. It is safe to say that the gap between Somerset and Garrard has closed from last year, though.

 

Now, one word about the officials: confused. A personal foul during a kick return that wipes out the score? Shouldn't the penalty be assessed after the play? An offensive kid gets tackled (pass interference) followed by the defense intercepting, and the interception counts?

 

I did learn, however, that offensive interference is a loss of down. Didn't know that until tonight and I'm glad I do now.

Somerset ran and passed all over Garrard County tonight. The young Lions defense didn't tackle near well enough to win the ballgame. The Garrard offense was effective at times, but not nearly consistent enough. It is safe to say that the gap between Somerset and Garrard has closed from last year, though.

 

Now, one word about the officials: confused. A personal foul during a kick return that wipes out the score? Shouldn't the penalty be assessed after the play? An offensive kid gets tackled (pass interference) followed by the defense intercepting, and the interception counts?

 

I did learn, however, that offensive interference is a loss of down. Didn't know that until tonight and I'm glad I do now.

 

The officiating certainly wasn't great. However, a couple of us were talking about the kickoff return and I was thinking that since the personal foul occurred during the return (live ball) and was not a dead ball foul that it was supposed to be assessed from the spot. Wasn't that rule put in a couple of years ago to protect players way out of the play from getting drilled?

 

 

Also on the pass interference the Somerset player had already made the interception when the defender made contact with the receiver who was a good 5-8 yards behind the player that made the interception.

 

 

Now as for the game. Very nice offensive game tonight for the Jumpers who were missing one of their main weapons in Derrick Jackson. I think both Josh Troxtell and Thomas Boyle were over 100 yards. The offensive line: Billy Roberts, Michael Phelps, Cody Smith, Jake Williams, Clayton Stringer and Andrew Salmons really did a nice job tonight. On defense Somerset played much better and got a lot more people to the ball tonight. They had a letup right before the half and late in the fourth quarter where they were gashed by the Lions but overall a much better game. Nice job Jumpers! Good luck the rest of the way Lions.

  • Author
The officiating certainly wasn't great. However, a couple of us were talking about the kickoff return and I was thinking that since the personal foul occurred during the return (live ball) and was not a dead ball foul that it was supposed to be assessed from the spot. Wasn't that rule put in a couple of years ago to protect players way out of the play from getting drilled?

 

The only problem with the personal foul/kickoff is that if it's assessed on the play, then why weren't the yards marked off? They called it a spot foul and gave the ball to Garrard at the spot of the penalty. That can't be right.

 

I thought Somerset looked good last night. They can score on anyone. I'm not sure they are good enough defensively to beat the best of Class 3A. Scott Spears is a very impressive quarterback and it seems like Somerset has like 10 guys on the field at a time that can score.

 

Garrard had spells of good play and spells of bad play. The problem I had with Garrard was that they didn't respond well to shaky calls. Good teams take bad calls and play through them. The young Lions didn't do that well enough last night. Hopefully as the season progresses will see improvement in that area.

The only problem with the personal foul/kickoff is that if it's assessed on the play, then why weren't the yards marked off? They called it a spot foul and gave the ball to Garrard at the spot of the penalty. That can't be right.

 

I thought Somerset looked good last night. They can score on anyone. I'm not sure they are good enough defensively to beat the best of Class 3A. Scott Spears is a very impressive quarterback and it seems like Somerset has like 10 guys on the field at a time that can score.

 

Garrard had spells of good play and spells of bad play. The problem I had with Garrard was that they didn't respond well to shaky calls. Good teams take bad calls and play through them. The young Lions didn't do that well enough last night. Hopefully as the season progresses will see improvement in that area.

 

I hadn't thought about the spot. The flag was thrown about the 45 or so wasn't it so they didn't back it up any. There were a couple of other plays where they marked off a strange amount of yardage. On one of them they made an adjustment but on one holding call against Somerset they marked off 15 yards when the play happened downfield. They were shakey at best. Garrard is much improved over last season though and they've got a couple of kids that can really fly.

The INT occurred before the contact with the Pass Interference which is the same as tipping the ball which negates the call.

 

The call on the kickoff return was a block in the back and it was a spot foul which the ref apparently said he couldn't throw the flag far enough so they did mark it off from the "spot".

 

The officiating wasn't perfect but it didn't decide the game. If you wanted to see officiating change the course of a game you should have watched the Somerset/Taylor Game last week. That was the worst and most unprofessional officiating crew I have ever seen in my life.

The INT occurred before the contact with the Pass Interference which is the same as tipping the ball which negates the call.

 

The call on the kickoff return was a block in the back and it was a spot foul which the ref apparently said he couldn't throw the flag far enough so they did mark it off from the "spot".

 

The officiating wasn't perfect but it didn't decide the game. If you wanted to see officiating change the course of a game you should have watched the Somerset/Taylor Game last week. That was the worst and most unprofessional officiating crew I have ever seen in my life.

 

 

:thumb:I'll second that.

 

I thought that was what happened on the PI call. I wasn't sure about the kickoff return, I thought the foul was because a Lion player hit a Somerset player who was way out of the play.

Somerset's youth showed again as they had some lapses at the end of the first half and in the 4th quarter. Young Jumpers have to learn to finish off a team when they get up on them. Josh Troxtle looked good returning from injury and Boyle ran hard. Jordan Coleman was a disruption all night on D. Phelps, Fish and Roberts were warriors on both lines all night.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.