Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boyd County Coach

Featured Replies

When is there going to be a coach named. I keep hearing rumors from good sources that he has already been picked, but has not been named in the papers. Also I heard that Rick Griffith has withdrawn his application because of getting a vice principals job. Just wondering what everyone has heard.

Heard yesterday that Dave Wooten was named coach. I think you can take this info to the bank.

  • Author

Thanks alot for the information. I had also heard Dave was named coach and really am proud of Dave on how hard he has worked to finish his education and make it to this level of coaching. I met Dave when we both were playing in the state touranament in 1973 and playing for different teams and then began working together later in life. He will be the best coach these young men can have.

I really hope that Dave Wooten is a success, Boyd Co. need something to cheer about. From what I hear he finished enough hours to be put on the emergency sub list. It is his experience as a coach (never coaching past the freshmen level by himself) that concerns me. I really think a few years of at least being the JV coach would have better prepared him for the monumental challenge he will be facing. Best of luck to him and his staff!

Its about time. He has put in the hours to become a coach. A true BC man!!!!

Heard yesterday that Dave Wooten was named coach. I think you can take this info to the bank.

 

That could have been taken to the bank way before the job was posted. The principal wanted him regardless of who might have applied. I have never been an advocate of the Good Ol Boy system. I believe the jobs should be posted state-wide and the best applicant chosen. As I have stated before, Boyd Co is certainly not the only local school that utilizes this system.

 

That being said, Coach Wooten is a die hard BC Lifer and I am sure he will give the job everything he has. I wish him the best and I will be pulling for him to achieve great things with the program.:thumb:

When is there going to be a coach named. I keep hearing rumors from good sources that he has already been picked, but has not been named in the papers. Also I heard that Rick Griffith has withdrawn his application because of getting a vice principals job. Just wondering what everyone has heard.

 

I don't think that Rick withdrew his application. He was a VP last year and there is no rule at Boyd Co. that a principal can't coach like there is at alot of schools.

Edited by gold sunrise
Rule #13

There is no board or site based policy saying a VP cannot be a head coach. There is board policy 03.6 listed under Personnel on the Boyd Co. Schools website that states only certified teachers who are members of the regular school faculty can be head basketball or football coaches. To find this just got the BC schools website, click on the school board tab, click on the board policy tab, go to personnel, scroll all the way down to volunteers/paraprofessionals. It is on page 2. This policy is also in the employee handbook which is on the wedsite as well. I am trying to get a copy to confirm this but I was told the policy is in the Head Coaches manual given out by Doc Bayes as well.

 

I am confused as to why this binding board policy was not followed......

Well in that case than Coach Zornes should not have been able to coach last year as he was teaching at Ironton.

Read the policy and interpret for yourself. After reading it I do not understand how Zornes was able to come back and coach. I know he did some summer work at the school and at least he did have his teaching degree. This comes directly from the Boyd Co. Board Policy manual:

 

Paraprofessionals

 

In the event qualified teachers who are members of the regular school faculty have not applied and provided full compliance with all aspects of KHSAA Association bylaw 27, paraprofessionals who have a minimum of 64 semester hours of college credit may be employed as head coaches in any sport (grades 9-12) except basketball and football and may be empolyed as assistant coaches in any sport once such action is approved by the Board upon the request of the Superintendent.

Well BC is as political as it gets and apparently they don't follow the rules that they have made as a school system. Coach Wooten will do a fine job I do believe. He has basically no expierence and is taking over a program that will take several years to make competitive but he has been around the game his whole life and was a great player. On paper Coach Griffith would have been hard to beat but I think that Coach Wooten will put the time in that it takes and get this thing turned around. I wish him the best.

I hope this is true because they passed on a someone with a proven coaching career and record. I know Griffith has been in the regional finals at least 7 or 8 times along with being part of winning the region at least 3 or 4 times.....I will look it up. In other words he understands very well what it takes to get there and win and also how to build winning programs. Since moving back from central Kentucky this BC grad has also dedicated himself to the BC basketball program being involved at the elementary, middle, and high school level.

 

To me it appears they should have given Griffith the head job and Wooten the JV job based on board policy and proven experience. Right now I am just waiting to see if Griffith will remain as an assistant. Anybody know who Coach Wooten is going to have as his assistants?

Edited by Rebound4e
left out word

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.