Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Stacy Andrews #1?

Featured Replies

Stacy Andrews is a "non-exclusive" franchise player, which means that he may negotiate with other NFL teams; however, if he signs an offer sheet from another team, the Bengals will have the right to match the terms of that offer or lose Stacy Andrews and receive 2 1st round draft picks as compensation.

It'd be a good idea to brush up on what the franchise tag entails before you say that the Bengals would be wasting the tag. But then again, who wants to let the facts interfere with opinions?

 

All I know is they tagged J. Smith overpaid him for one year and now he is gone. I would think you should tag players with the goal of signing them long term. Thats just me. The Bengals obviously know a lot more about it.:rolleyes:

So are you saying you wanted them to sign J.Smith long term. :lol: Thats crazy to act like they did something wrong with him.

So are you saying you wanted them to sign J.Smith long term. :lol: Thats crazy to act like they did something wrong with him.

 

No. Saying they should have not tagged him. Steinbach should have been tagged. Where did I say they should have signed him?

All I know is they tagged J. Smith overpaid him for one year and now he is gone. I would think you should tag players with the goal of signing them long term. Thats just me. The Bengals obviously know a lot more about it.:rolleyes:

 

The Bengals should receive two 1st round picks for losing Justin Smith.

 

You don't necessarily tag someone as a franchise player because you're looking to make them a part of your future.

 

And, if I remember correctly, Eric Steinbach wanted (and got) tackle type of money to play the guard position.

The Bengals should receive two 1st round picks for losing Justin Smith.

 

You don't necessarily tag someone as a franchise player because you're looking to make them a part of your future.

 

And, if I remember correctly, Eric Steinbach wanted (and got) tackle type of money to play the guard position.

 

When do they recieve the two 1st round picks?

When do they recieve the two 1st round picks?

 

It looks like I misinterpreted the franchise tag as well. If a team signs Stacy Andrews this year, then we will get 2 first round picks since he's currently our "franchise player".

 

It looks like the 49er's signing of Justin Smith came a year too late for the Bengals to receive any compensatory picks. Which is disappointing.

It looks like I misinterpreted the franchise tag as well. If a team signs Stacy Andrews this year, then we will get 2 first round picks since he's currently our "franchise player".

 

It looks like the 49er's signing of Justin Smith came a year too late for the Bengals to receive any compensatory picks. Which is disappointing.

 

I think that was my point. (I am now not sure:D) That they paid J-Smith top 5 money, which I consider overpaying, and then got nothing when he left. I was thinking that was mismanagement of the tag, well maybe not, who knows?

It looks like I misinterpreted the franchise tag as well. If a team signs Stacy Andrews this year, then we will get 2 first round picks since he's currently our "franchise player".

 

It looks like the 49er's signing of Justin Smith came a year too late for the Bengals to receive any compensatory picks. Which is disappointing.

 

:thumb:

 

That's why franchising a player is a safe, sure way to keep them. To date, no team has been willing to part with 2 first round picks to pry a team's franchise player away. It's a steep price.

 

Also, to my knowledge, there are no restrictions on tagging players. The Bengals could tag Andrews every year if they wanted and he could either sign the offer or sit out.

 

Seattle tagged Walter Jones several years in a row before reaching an agreement on a long-term deal. Last year, when the Pats tagged Asante Samuel, to get him to sign the offer and not sit out, they promised not to tage him again. Teams and players can reach agreements along that line, but there are no NFL rules that says a team can't franchise a player more than once.

 

As long as Andrews is the most valued player Cincy doesn't have locked up long term, he's getting the franchise tag. They'd be stupid to do anything else.

 

I don't think it will be necessary though. I expect them to sign him long term before next season and move him to one of the tackle positions. Willie Anderson is on the back end of his career, so I would be surprised if he's gone and Andrews fills his spot. At this point, he's younger, more talented and better...you can't let a guy who is going to develop into one of the premier offensive linemen in the league, whether it be guard or tackle, get away. Especially when your team is built around a top 5 QB.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.