Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Situation Question

Featured Replies

It was last night in the Spectrun Grafix at Mason Co. Kid up to bat shakes his head because a strike call. Ump said he had enough and restricted him to the dug-out. Not an ejection. He is restricted to the dug-out with a 0-2 count.

 

Question is: Should he have been called out, or should a pinch hitter been brought into the game and inheriate the count?

 

What do the brilliant minds of BGP think?

Personally, I would have tried to see if a good stern talking to would have fixed the problem. If he was attempting to "show up" the umpire, he should have been ejected for violating the sportsmanship card which should have been read to the head coach and team capt's. before the game. I only use dugout restrictions for coaches. Either way, the at bat must be completed. So to answer your question, a pinch hitter should have taken his place and inherited his count.

  • Author
Personally, I would have tried to see if a good stern talking to would have fixed the problem. If he was attempting to "show up" the umpire, he should have been ejected for violating the sportsmanship card which should have been read to the head coach and team capt's. before the game. I only use dugout restrictions for coaches. Either way, the at bat must be completed. So to answer your question, a pinch hitter should have taken his place and inherited his count.

 

Ok. That's what had taken place, but a fan(by fan I mean a basketball referee) was saying that he should have been called out. But, he wasn't showing up the umpire, no words were said, just stepped out of the box, and shook his as he was taking signs from the third base coach.

 

Thanks for the input.

Let me clarify one thing. I don't consider myself to be a "brilliant mind"! :banana:

  • Author
Let me clarify one thing. I don't consider myself to be a "brilliant mind"! :banana:

 

Haha, alright.

Dugout restrictions are normally for coaches. The umpire should have ejected the player if he thought the action crossed the line of sportsmanship. He obviously didn't want to have the player miss an additional game because of his actions. I wasn't there and I try not to make an assumption on Preps but if it happenned exactly the way it is stated above, I would have just warned the batter and told him to knock it off. Then I would have went to the coach between innings and make sure that the coach warned him as well. There could have been an earlier incident in which the umpire had already warned that player for his actions. There could have been a dozen different scenerios that took place, you would have had to have asked the umpire for an explanation.

  • Author
Dugout restrictions are normally for coaches. The umpire should have ejected the player if he thought the action crossed the line of sportsmanship. He obviously didn't want to have the player miss an additional game because of his actions. I wasn't there and I try not to make an assumption on Preps but if it happenned exactly the way it is stated above, I would have just warned the batter and told him to knock it off. Then I would have went to the coach between innings and make sure that the coach warned him as well. There could have been an earlier incident in which the umpire had already warned that player for his actions. There could have been a dozen different scenerios that took place, you would have had to have asked the umpire for an explanation.

 

That's the thing. The umpire hadn't warned the player and didn't talk to the coach until after the restriction. As all of you have stated, I myself haven't heard of a restriction of a player.

 

I was just curious as to what you all thought of the situation. Thanks.

Well if the kid just shook his head without saying anything then I personally don't beleive the umpire should have said anything to him, maybe the umpire thought he made a bad call as well and was on the defensive. I wasn't there so I don't know what all went on but its a little rediculous if you ask me. It's sounds if an umpire is trying to press his power on a young man for shaking his head. There is no rule against that of any kind, and frankly what if he was shaking his head at the disbeleif that he didn't swing the bat and was upset at himself. I just think its a pretty pathetic thing if a kid is "tossed" for something like that, unless he was saying stuff too when shaking his head. I am all about not showing up the umpires and well actually I am an umpire myself and if all he was doing was shaking his head I wouldn't have said a word.

Ok. That's what had taken place, but a fan(by fan I mean a basketball referee) was saying that he should have been called out. But, he wasn't showing up the umpire, no words were said, just stepped out of the box, and shook his as he was taking signs from the third base coach.

 

Thanks for the input.

 

Are you allowed to step out of the box to take a sign? I thought you had to stay in the box in high school.

  • Author
Are you allowed to step out of the box to take a sign? I thought you had to stay in the box in high school.

 

But, you can step out of the box to re-group. Just like calling time while in the box.

Are you allowed to step out of the box to take a sign? I thought you had to stay in the box in high school.

 

1 foot must remain in box ,but hardly ever see it enforced

Witnessed this happening this year and was stunned .In a game vs South Oldham: batter was called out on strikes ,player looks at ump shakes his head no ( as if to say it was not a strike ) ,as he starts to walk away from plate he draws a line in the dirt to show where he thought it was outside .The ump never even said a word to him .If it was me he would of been tossed .The drawing the line is one of the worst ways to show up an ump .IMO

If the Umpire restricted him, than he was trying to end a perceived problem but didn't want to eject the player and result in missing an additional game.

  • Author
Witnessed this happening this year and was stunned .In a game vs South Oldham: batter was called out on strikes ,player looks at ump shakes his head no ( as if to say it was not a strike ) ,as he starts to walk away from plate he draws a line in the dirt to show where he thought it was outside .The ump never even said a word to him .If it was me he would of been tossed .The drawing the line is one of the worst ways to show up an ump .IMO

 

I agree with the drawing the line part. I think that is out of hand and is showing up the umpire. But, he didn't do that. Oh, well. Thanks for all the input. I was just curious if anyone else had seen a player restricte before.

I think that a pinch hitter should inherit the count.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.