Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Democratic superdelegates have received $900,000 from Obama and Clinton

Featured Replies

February 14, 2008 | (Figures in this story have been adjusted to reflect Sen. Ted Kennedy's contributions from the two candidates, which were overlooked in the original posting. Changes are in bold.) At this summer's Democratic National Convention, nearly 800 members of Congress, state governors and Democratic Party leaders could be the tiebreakers in the intense contest between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama. If neither candidate can earn the support of at least 2,025 delegates in the primary voting process, the decision of who will represent the Democrats in November's presidential election will fall not to the will of the people but to these "superdelegates"—the candidates' friends, colleagues and even financial beneficiaries. Both contenders will be calling in favors.

 

 

And while it would be unseemly for the candidates to hand out thousands of dollars to primary voters, or to the delegates pledged to represent the will of those voters, elected officials who are superdelegates have received at least $904,200 from Obama and Clinton in the form of campaign contributions over the last three years, according to the nonpartisan Center for Responsive Politics.

 

http://www.capitaleye.org/inside.asp?ID=336

  • Replies 30
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why does this not surprise me?

A guy Bill Decker, (I think was his name) was on one of the talking political shows. He said he was one of the persons that was involved in setting up the Superdelegates in the early 80's.

 

He admitted that the Superdelegates were totally put in place to make sure Teddy Kennedy did not get the nomination over Walter Mondale. He said people can claim what they want but he was in the room when it was setup and they were afraid the people would nominate Teddy Kennedy and they wanted Walter Mondale as the candidate. They set up the system to make sure Mondale was the candidate.

Is this illegal? I mean it is a good talking point but nothing more.

There are about 800 SDs. So that's a little over a thousand a piece... or about 500 each from Obama and Hillary if the money is split evenly.

 

$500 political contributions! Scandal!

  • Author
There are about 800 SDs. So that's a little over a thousand a piece... or about 500 each from Obama and Hillary if the money is split evenly.

 

$500 political contributions! Scandal!

Don't political contributions usually go TO the candidate and not come FROM the candidate? I think buying votes is illegal in all states. This isn't quite the same, but it still stinks to high heaven.

Don't political contributions usually go TO the candidate and not come FROM the candidate? I think buying votes is illegal in all states. This isn't quite the same, but it still stinks to high heaven.

It happens routinely, that candidates with large chests donate to others. On both sides of the aisle.

 

Again, if Republicans are SUDDENLY interested in taking money out of politics, I can direct them to Ditch Mitch.

  • Author
It happens routinely, that candidates with large chests donate to others. On both sides of the aisle.

 

Again, if Republicans are SUDDENLY interested in taking money out of politics, I can direct them to Ditch Mitch.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole primary process stinks to high heaven.

Don't get me wrong, I think the whole primary process stinks to high heaven.

Who said anything about primaries? This happens all the time.

  • Author
Who said anything about primaries? This happens all the time.

Candidates give money to voters? Can you give me an example, because I don't think I understand.

Is this illegal? I mean it is a good talking point but nothing more.

 

Is that your moral compass?

Candidates give money to voters? Can you give me an example, because I don't think I understand.
Oh, I see, you think that during the primary season the first ammendment should be suspended for the candidates.

 

(Sorry, I'm just having so much fun channelling my Inner Mitch in these threads. You know I'm just playin'.)

  • Author
Oh, I see, you think that during the primary season the first ammendment should be suspended for the candidates.

 

(Sorry, I'm just having so much fun channelling my Inner Mitch in these threads. You know I'm just playin'.)

If you're trying to confuse me into logging off, its working. :creepy:

Candidates give money to voters? Can you give me an example, because I don't think I understand.

 

The process is not for Candidates to give money to voters per say. It is to give money to these super delegates which are elected officials for the most part. They give money to that elected officials campaign in exchange for something. Now they will never say that is for the vote of the super delegate but it is a underhanded way to do that. This process does stink and it is one of the reasons that I don't like the primary process. By the time we get to vote in Kentucky both parties have named there candidates. So do we really get to choose the nominee. Too many places are moving their primaries closer to the front. Now with all of that said do I think this money is a big deal NO.

  • Author
The process is not for Candidates to give money to voters per say. It is to give money to these super delegates which are elected officials for the most part. They give money to that elected officials campaign in exchange for something. Now they will never say that is for the vote of the super delegate but it is a underhanded way to do that. This process does stink and it is one of the reasons that I don't like the primary process. By the time we get to vote in Kentucky both parties have named there candidates. So do we really get to choose the nominee. Too many places are moving their primaries closer to the front. Now with all of that said do I think this money is a big deal NO.

Well that makes a little more sense. You're a much better explainer than 02Ram54. :D

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.