Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Great Coaches

Featured Replies

I hear all the time about this or that coach being great or knowing football. So this makes me wonder what you all base your opinions on? I guess basically I would just like to see a discussion on what knowing football means or your perception of knowing football?

I hear all the time about this or that coach being great or knowing football. So this makes me wonder what you all base your opinions on? I guess basically I would just like to see a discussion on what knowing football means or your perception of knowing football?

 

IMO it is not what you know about a sport that makes you a bad,good or great coach. It is how you get the kids to respond to what you are coaching. I know many football coaches who know as much about the Xs and Os of the game of football as anyone in the game but they just aren't very good coaches. If you can get your players to believe 100% in what you are doing and they are willing to do what ever it takes to please you and they have this attitude because you have earned their respect through your hard work as a coach and because they know you really care about them as players, students and people. These are the qualities that make you a great coach. Anyone can learn the X's and O's however the strategy of the game does change and just like a player the work ethic of a coach goes a long way into whether they are a good coach or they become a great coach. Anyway these are just some of my thoughts on the subject.

  • Author

Good thoughts Bronco99. I completely agree that a coach has to get his players to buy into what they are doing otherwise they won't succeed on the field. That goes for a head coach, in that, the head coach cannot know much about Xs and Os but if that coach does not have someone on his staff that knows the Xs and Os that team will never be successful. I have seen teams that completely buy into what their head coach is doing, but are not successful because the Xs and Os are not taught or understood by the coaches.

 

I guess what I am saying is that successful head coaches that might not know the Xs and Os have somebody on staff that does.

Great players!:D

Knowledge of the game, ability to get kids out of the halls, ability to communicate+ motivate, caring about the kids+their future, great staffs around them, great booster+community support, competitive edge... I could go on and on.

I believe that Dale Mueller was the best coach in NKY this year and has been one of the greatest in the past.

  • Author

Is he at Highlands?

Is he at Highlands?

 

yes

A Great coach is one that can get the respect from his players (the type of respect that they would run through a brick wall for him), respect from the school adminstration, faculty, community as well as the opposing coaches and communities as well.

Have the respect and give respect to these same people along with all students that may not be involved with football. Bronco99 relayed some very good qualities in his post above and I cannot add a whole lot if anything to it, great post 99.

Knowing how to get everything out of each and every one of his players.

Being able to adapt his system to the talent level that he has each year and changing some things if he needs to.

Being able to make in game and halftime adjustments to what the opponet is doing.

All of these things and more that I am sure others have thought of and posted (stick1 also had a great post imo) combine to make a great coach.

 

As the old saying goes....................

 

"It's not about the X's and O's....It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's ;)"

I hear all the time about this or that coach being great or knowing football. So this makes me wonder what you all base your opinions on? I guess basically I would just like to see a discussion on what knowing football means or your perception of knowing football?

 

Understanding that motivation is a key factor in any teams or coaches success. Ability to generate support from the community. Players are successful in their lives after football. Understanding what is expected of you and your program. Trinity has been blessed with many men who knew how to manage the program. The current head coach is a consummate professional in the classroom and on the field. The current director of athletics was one of these men while he performed as head coach. Both were fortunate to have assistant coaches who bought into their programs and helped mold the championship caliber squads in St. Matthews. No head coach can do it alone.

 

I base my opinions offered on watching, talking, and supporting high school football since 1973. I spent 10 years selling sporting goods and that offered me the opportunity to talk more than most with many good folks. The coaches grapevine locally is quite extensive.:banana::banana::banana:

Mike Yeagle: Beechwood 8 state titles.

I don't know if anyone gets anymore out of there 25 players year in and year out than David Mitchell at Lynn Camp...

I believe he is one of the best in North-Eastern Kentucky. He might not have the most wins or state championships, but I can tell you, there isnt 1 kid who plays football in Ramland, that dosent listen to every word that comes outta his mouth. Since 1997 he has only had 1 losing season out of ten seasons, thats a great record in my opinion.

I don't know if anyone gets anymore out of there 25 players year in and year out than David Mitchell at Lynn Camp...

:thumb:

 

And he is SUPER loyal to the kids, past and present, that play for him. I'd like to see what some of the Elite coaches could do with what Dave and some of the Class A schools have to year after year. Success can be measured by much more than wins and losses!

I think it's important to realize that being a "great coach" is very much dependent upon the program and situation the coach is in. Successful coaches at some of the state's top-tier programs (like Trinity, Saint Xavier, Highlands, etc.) may not be such a great fit at smaller programs, and good coaches at smaller programs might not do so well at the bigger-named programs.

 

You have to consider the context, in my opinion.

Great Point!!! A coach must utilize his resources to be successful at what ever their situation may be. I believe every program at every level has the ability to be successful. That is why the right man for the job is easier said than done in most cases.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.