Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Great Coaches

Featured Replies

IMO I think it comes down to winning or losing. This is at every level. I have seen Highlands coach named. I don't think he wouldbe named if they were 5-5 every year. Just MO.

Coach Dave Buchanan of Mason County has revived my own personal image of what a coach should be. From day 1 that I have known Coach B. he has been a man of his word. Most places that you go now, unfortunately, have administrators or people in a power position with their own personal or political agendas as well as parents that are the "good ole boys" and just want their kids to play whether they are the best or not. Coach Buchanan puts the team first and that means the best play where the team needs them in order to WIN. I know that Coach B. not only knows the game but resists those forces outside of the football family that try to sway him from anything other than "What's best for the team." Mason County is lucky to have him and I have no doubt that Coach B. is one of the great coaches in Kentucky High School football. Keep up the good fight coach!!!!!:thumb:

Coach Dave Buchanan of Mason County has revived my own personal image of what a coach should be. From day 1 that I have known Coach B. he has been a man of his word. Most places that you go now, unfortunately, have administrators or people in a power position with their own personal or political agendas as well as parents that are the "good ole boys" and just want their kids to play whether they are the best or not. Coach Buchanan puts the team first and that means the best play where the team needs them in order to WIN. I know that Coach B. not only knows the game but resists those forces outside of the football family that try to sway him from anything other than "What's best for the team." Mason County is lucky to have him and I have no doubt that Coach B. is one of the great coaches in Kentucky High School football. Keep up the good fight coach!!!!!:thumb:

 

:thumb:

Great Post!! I agree with everything you have said about Coach Buchanan. Great Man, Great Coach and Great friend!!

Pick one -

 

Bob Beatty - Dennis Lampley - Jim Kennedy - Dave Moore - Roger Gruniesen - Chuck Servino -

A Great coach is one that can get the respect from his players (the type of respect that they would run through a brick wall for him), respect from the school adminstration, faculty, community as well as the opposing coaches and communities as well.

Have the respect and give respect to these same people along with all students that may not be involved with football. Bronco99 relayed some very good qualities in his post above and I cannot add a whole lot if anything to it, great post 99.

Knowing how to get everything out of each and every one of his players.

Being able to adapt his system to the talent level that he has each year and changing some things if he needs to.

Being able to make in game and halftime adjustments to what the opponet is doing.

All of these things and more that I am sure others have thought of and posted (stick1 also had a great post imo) combine to make a great coach.

 

As the old saying goes....................

 

"It's not about the X's and O's....It's about the Jimmy's and Joe's ;)"

 

:thumb: Well said and I can only hope that a great many coaches not only read this but copy it and hang on their bulletin board or wherever they can read it everyday. Problem is the ones who need to read it the most never will.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.