Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Best Shortstop in NKY

Featured Replies

Who not only has the best picking ability but also a strong bat? That tells the tale of the best SS IMO. My vision of a strong SS is a kid that goes 6ft or taller and is strong with great range.

 

Guess Ozzie wouldn't have played for you?

  • Replies 50
  • Views 7.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author
I know that, my sarcasm was obviously lost on you......

 

I have watched both Reed and Leatherby play. They are both fine young men and good HS baseball players. I think that Mr. Leatherby has the POTENTIAL to be a very good HS player. I think Mr. Reed arrived at that point some time last year.

 

Obviously you have not seen them play very much. It is not Leatherbee's,(proper spelling), fault that he had to sit behind Humphrey last year, therefore not getting to arrive, but that seems to be the Ryle way. I am not slighting Humphrey in any way, but Luke plays for me in the summer and the kid is rock solid at SS. Mark has played for me alot in the past, and is very good, especially with his bat, I actually prefer him at 2B, he seems a lot more comfortable there. And yes, they are both tremendous young men who both should have great seasons. And by the way this is not a Ryle thing, my kid goes to CovCath.

Obviously you have not seen them play very much. It is not Leatherbee's,(proper spelling), fault that he had to sit behind Humphrey last year, therefore not getting to arrive, but that seems to be the Ryle way. I am not slighting Humphrey in any way, but Luke plays for me in the summer and the kid is rock solid at SS. Mark has played for me alot in the past, and is very good, especially with his bat, I actually prefer him at 2B, he seems a lot more comfortable there. And yes, they are both tremendous young men who both should have great seasons. And by the way this is not a Ryle thing, my kid goes to CovCath.

 

As I said: One is a proven commodity, the other is not. That is not at all a slight to Leatherbee, just that he hasn't arrived at that point yet. At the end of the year I don't think there is any doubt he'll be in the conversation, but I don't think you can proclaim him as the best SS in NKY when he hasn't played all that much at the Varsity level, JMO.

As I said: One is a proven commodity, the other is not. That is not at all a slight to Leatherbee, just that he hasn't arrived at that point yet. At the end of the year I don't think there is any doubt he'll be in the conversation, but I don't think you can proclaim him as the best SS in NKY when he hasn't played all that much at the Varsity level, JMO.

 

But he has... all summer and fall. I would contend that in the summer you play against better overall competition than in the spring. It goes back to that discussion we always seem to have on here about "varsity experience". If you can play, you can play, period.

I don't think there is a dominant shortstop this year. Yes there are a bunch of guys that can pick it;

Leatherby/Ryle

Helmer/Ryle

Connor/NCC

?????/SK

Maddox/Gallatin

Holocher/CovCath

Adkins/Scott

 

who did I miss?

all are good but is one that much better than the other???? Probably not.

Brown for SK
Guess Ozzie wouldn't have played for you?

 

:laugh:

Brown for SK

 

Thank you! Josh Brown I believe.

 

The point I'm making is there is alot of talent in NKY this year up the middle but not a dominant SS. If I understand correctly Leatherbee, O'hara, Brown, Connor play for the Kings.

Helmer, Maddox, Holicher are Colonels

Adkins is a Chief

Should make for some great baseball action over the summer.

 

Connor/Pangallo at NCC will turn a nice quick DP

Will we see Helmer/O'hara and Leatherbee at Ryle? would be sweet!

Does Brown and Adkins have solid guys to work with?

I watched Leatherbee play all summer. He can field it and hit it. I saw Josh Brown in the 8th Region Tournament last year. He killed every rally we had with his glove. He can stroke the ball too. Both of these players are awesome shortstops IMO.

I think O'hara from Ryle is a great middle-infielder, it will be interesting to see if he plays ss or 2B for them this year.

I think O'hara from Ryle is a great middle-infielder, it will be interesting to see if he plays ss or 2B for them this year.

 

He is a 2nd baseman, very quick with good range. He can switch hit if they decide to go in that direction-solid gap hitter.

I watched Leatherbee play all summer. He can field it and hit it. I saw Josh Brown in the 8th Region Tournament last year. He killed every rally we had with his glove. He can stroke the ball too. Both of these players are awesome shortstops IMO.

 

Brown is the best hitter of all the ss in this group and one of the better hitters in NKY and a good fielder, but nowhere near as good of fielder as Leatherbee. Range being the key.

Guess Ozzie wouldn't have played for you?

 

Just giving my opinion of the type of SS I would start. I like the Cal Ripken, A-Rod body type. Ozzie was a wizard no doubt about it but not much of a bat.

Just giving my opinion of the type of SS I would start. I like the Cal Ripken, A-Rod body type. Ozzie was a wizard no doubt about it but not much of a bat.

 

Not to many of those to chose from in NKY????? Josh Brown is a good size kid but that's about it in NKY for size? ALot of quickness though which Brown is lacking?

Brown is the best hitter of all the ss in this group and one of the better hitters in NKY and a good fielder, but nowhere near as good of fielder as Leatherbee. Range being the key.

 

I dont no if I would say best hitter out of all the shortstops have you seen Mark Reed Hit?:thumb:

I dont no if I would say best hitter out of all the shortstops have you seen Mark Reed Hit?:thumb:

 

You are correct to put them in the same class, both are real good hitters

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.