Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' Turns 15

Featured Replies

It was 15 years ago, Tuesday, that President Clinton rolled out the policy that came to be known as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell," which relaxed the long-standing bar against gay men and women serving in the U.S. military. While the move was initially hailed as progress for the rights of gays in the military, today many see it as a liability.

 

About 12,000 service members have been booted from the military since the law took effect, including dozens of Arabic speakers whose skills are particularly prized by the military since the advent of the war on terror. While the number discharged for their sexuality has fallen from 1,273 in 2001 to 612 in 2006, Pentagon officials insist they are applying the law as fairly as ever. Gay-rights advocates disagree, suggesting the military - pressed for personnel amid an unpopular war - is willing to ignore sexual orientation when recruiting becomes more difficult. Last May, a CNN poll found that 79 percent of Americans feel that homosexuals should be allowed to serve in the military.

 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/20080129/us_time/dontaskdonttellturns15

It's one of the worst rules ever. If you are capable of serving in the military then you should be allowed regardless of sexuality.

To me, a straight male BTW, I can't understand why this is so hard to deal with. I would be willing to assume that the average military man/woman is only signed up for 4 years. If I am not mistaken, not all 4 years are ACTIVE duty. So when th average person signs up for the military, they are not even active for 4 years. Is it that hard not to anounce your "gay pride"? I mean homosexual individuals need to understand that many straight people are VERY uncomfortable sleeping, showering and TRUSTING a homosexual person with our lives in a battle. This is all my opinion now, but if a person is willing to completely change their sexual orientation from straight to gay, then whose to say that they wont run away from a conflict?

 

Okay, I am off of my soapbox now :D

Most enlistments are a 6 year obligation, with 3 or 4 of those years being served on active duty. If its 3 active they have 2 active reserve and 1 inactive reserve. If its 4 active they have 2 reserve.

I dont care who you sleep with, just as long as you do your duties to the best of your ability.

To me, a straight male BTW, I can't understand why this is so hard to deal with. I would be willing to assume that the average military man/woman is only signed up for 4 years. If I am not mistaken, not all 4 years are ACTIVE duty. So when th average person signs up for the military, they are not even active for 4 years. Is it that hard not to anounce your "gay pride"? I mean homosexual individuals need to understand that many straight people are VERY uncomfortable sleeping, showering and TRUSTING a homosexual person with our lives in a battle. This is all my opinion now, but if a person is willing to completely change their sexual orientation from straight to gay, then whose to say that they wont run away from a conflict?

 

Okay, I am off of my soapbox now :D

 

 

I do not have first hand combat knowledge, but I would think that someone's sexual orientation has little to do with how much trust you should put in them.

In a time where military recruitment numbers are down there are good soldiers, airmen, etc. that are discharged not b/c they fail to do their duty but b/c of who they are. Frankly, if I'm in combat with someone shooting at me I don't care if the soldier (man or woman) next to me is gay or straight. All I care is if he/she is able to shoot back and help keep us alive.

 

BTW: I have no problem with women on the front lines either, considering in modern warfare there are no front lines.

I do not have first hand combat knowledge, but I would think that someone's sexual orientation has little to do with how much trust you should put in them.

 

To me, PERSONALLY, it's not the orientation, it's the fact that they are flip-flopping.

 

The fighting isn't the problem. It's the other 99% of duty that conflicts, and the social aspect.

I was strongly against gays in the military, but now I'm wavering.

To me, PERSONALLY, it's not the orientation, it's the fact that they are flip-flopping.

 

The fighting isn't the problem. It's the other 99% of duty that conflicts, and the social aspect.

 

Explain...how are they flip-flopping? You said that you wouldn't trust putting your lives in their hands.

To me, PERSONALLY, it's not the orientation, it's the fact that they are flip-flopping.

 

The fighting isn't the problem. It's the other 99% of duty that conflicts, and the social aspect.

You honestly believe that a gay person just wakes up one day and thinks "my life isn't complicated enough, I think I will be gay"?

You honestly believe that a gay person just wakes up one day and thinks "my life isn't complicated enough, I think I will be gay"?

I do, but I don't think we should venture into that area in this thread.

I do, but I don't think we should venture into that area in this thread.

 

I pictured you a little smarter than that HHSDad, but its not the first time I have been wrong, wont be the last.

I pictured you a little smarter than that HHSDad, but its not the first time I have been wrong, wont be the last.

And I will defend to the death your right to be wrong. :D

And I will defend to the death your right to be wrong. :D

 

Nobody chooses to be gay!!!:fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fire::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight::fight:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.