Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Conner 52 Ryle 45

Featured Replies

I don't know if I agree with the assessment of the Helmer kid. He is only shooting 38%, according to Cincinnati.com, from the field and isn't really a factor on defense. He also seems to lose his cool when he is pressured. He jacks up shots and has trouble defending the man with the ball.

 

As far as an inside track, I have seen this team about ten times this year and Coach Mullins may yell and scream and seem like a disciplinarian but how much longer is he going to put up with the players cussing on the floor and yelling at officials. It is not a matter of not wanting kids to cuss, but you need to have discipline to win. Conner was flat out the most disciplined team last night.

 

While I'm thinking about it, Conner went 2-1 last night against Ryle with the Raiders only winning the Freshmen game by one. Caught the end of the Freshmen game and it seemed like a real good game with the future QB of Ryle hitting the winning 3 pointer with 20 some seconds left.

 

First off all i believe Helmer can play with most players in this region. He does play solid defense or Mullins would not play him. Yes his percentage is low. The whole Ryle team needs to relax. They play in fear of being taken out of the game in my opinion.

A far as technical fouls go, if you get one you should sit the remainder of that game and the next provided it was a proper call on the technical. That should be the coaches decision. You are sending the wrong message to allow players to continue to play after a technical.

  • Author

Just a Fan - Trust me I have seen enough of Helmer to tell you that he is the next John Maley, tons of potential no mental capacity to reach it. Helmer does not play good defense he is put on the worst offensive player on each team for a reason.

Just a Fan - Trust me I have seen enough of Helmer to tell you that he is the next John Maley, tons of potential no mental capacity to reach it. Helmer does not play good defense he is put on the worst offensive player on each team for a reason.

 

Am I the only one on this board who is uncomfortable with the way a HIGH SCHOOL KID gets hammered about everything from his mental toughness to his attitude?

Am I the only one on this board who is uncomfortable with the way a HIGH SCHOOL KID gets hammered about everything from his mental toughness to his attitude?

 

Count me in. And you were referencing a comment that actually hammered two kids at the same time.

 

I don't have a problem with "hammering" a team, but I don't think individual names should be mentioned if you are planning on smacking them down.

Just a Fan - Trust me I have seen enough of Helmer to tell you that he is the next John Maley, tons of potential no mental capacity to reach it. Helmer does not play good defense he is put on the worst offensive player on each team for a reason.

 

I have been to a few games and did not notice him being on the worst offensive player for the other team. You are obviosly more involved and know what is going on. I believe Ryle is in the top 10 or maybe even 5 in the state in points allowed. I think they all play good defense. you obviously dont like Helmer. Everyone has there opinion.

I just hope all the Ryle players can get on track. If Helmer doesnt start who should. I am not sure there is anyone on the bench that is any better.

  • Author

Not hammering the kid, I am just making a point that the attitude problem at Ryle is being filtered through the program from the top down. Helmer and Maley have talent I just wish they could translate that into leadership.

Boy, the frustration level on this team must be turned way up because I have seen Porter as a hard working respectful player.

 

He is that. I echo your statement.

Nice district win for the Cougars and coach Hicks. Does anyone know how many Pugh and Thomas ended with?

 

Pugh had 19 points and 10 rebounds.

The underlining factor you speak of may just be Maley... :sssh:

 

 

I questioned Maley's attitude on another thread, and was referred to a book "The Laws of Leadership", I chose to skip the read then, I guess this result reinforces my decision. :ylsuper:

 

Pugh played great, Maley, not so much. Great win for a Conner team that has played through adversity. Bad loss for Ryle, which seems to create their own adversity every night.

No excuse for kids getting technical fouls. If I am the coach, that kid sits next to me the rest of the game. Since when are the kids the voice of the team. Its okay to get frustrated and make facial expressions but talking to refs is ridiculous. Refs control the game and no kid is going to dictate how they call it, that is for sure.

 

I was there and that's the problem, the refs did not control the game well at all. I've seen several poorly officiated games this season,most of them equally bad for both teams,but I must say this was one of the more lopsided

games I've seen. I felt badly for Ryle's players and coach. Hicks is a great coach and doesn't need help from the refs. When a player who is always respectful starts to lose control of his emotions,it might be a good indication that there's a problem. I sat on the Conner side of the gym, and even heard comments from fans pertaining to the calls Ryle was getting! Everyone has a breaking point and some refs make it difficult to get the respect of even the nicest players. It looked like Porter tried to question the ref in a calm manner at first but the ref was quick to become offended, then Porter turned around with his hands on his head as though he was trying to control his emotions and said,"that's terrible." It was,in fact,a terrible call. I'm not saying what he did was right,but everyone has a breaking point. I saw one of Conner's players question a call afterward and the same ref talked to him with no retribution whatsoever, not even a warning. It was a rough night for the raiders.Coach Hicks is a great coach and doesn't need favors from officials.

I was there and that's the problem, the refs did not control the game well at all. I've seen several poorly officiated games this season,most of them equally bad for both teams,but I must say this was one of the more lopsided

games I've seen. I felt badly for Ryle's players and coach. Hicks is a great coach and doesn't need help from the refs. When a player who is always respectful starts to lose control of his emotions,it might be a good indication that there's a problem. I sat on the Conner side of the gym, and even heard comments from fans pertaining to the calls Ryle was getting! Everyone has a breaking point and some refs make it difficult to get the respect of even the nicest players. It looked like Porter tried to question the ref in a calm manner at first but the ref was quick to become offended, then Porter turned around with his hands on his head as though he was trying to control his emotions and said,"that's terrible." It was,in fact,a terrible call. I'm not saying what he did was right,but everyone has a breaking point. I saw one of Conner's players question a call afterward and the same ref talked to him with no retribution whatsoever, not even a warning. It was a rough night for the raiders.Coach Hicks is a great coach and doesn't need favors from officials.

 

This is your opinion........kids shouldn't be questioning a ref's call out loud. Finally again your opinion. Just because a majority might agree doesn't make something right.

This is your opinion........kids shouldn't be questioning a ref's call out loud. Finally again your opinion. Just because a majority might agree doesn't make something right.

 

Of course you are right. I just hate to see games like this where things seem to get so out of control. He didn't say it very loud but I quess he was heard. Maybe there are other factors going on behind the scene. Maybe we all need to settle down a bit at these games. I just hope Ryle gets on track, they seem to have a lot of potential and the kids have good chemistry,something that seems to have been a problem in recent past seasons.

I questioned Maley's attitude on another thread, and was referred to a book "The Laws of Leadership", I chose to skip the read then, I guess this result reinforces my decision. :ylsuper:

 

Pugh played great, Maley, not so much. Great win for a Conner team that has played through adversity. Bad loss for Ryle, which seems to create their own adversity every night.

 

Playing with his older brother for many years, I could certainly see where you are coming from. ;)

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.