Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Boxing Out Rule Change

Featured Replies

I saw a foul called at a pre-season game where a lady got a foul called on her for boxing out. Problem was, she put a butt on the other girl and moved her backwards. Going to be heard to "untrain" all these girls who learned to box out like that.

 

To be honest, I always wondered how you could move a girl from her position on the court (which is rightfully hers) and not get called for a foul. I think I like the new rule.

I don't think there is a new rule. Its always been a foul at some point. I guess it would be a subjective call as to how much movement is too much.

It's not a "new rule". Displacement of a player has always been a foul.

It's not a "new rule". Displacement of a player has always been a foul.

 

Exactly what I was going to say. Displacement, meaning you move them backwards is the key.

 

Hardly ever called but they have been trying more and more to get it called.

 

Another thing that is taught by coaches to do and makes is, technically, a foul if you do it, is putting your foot on the sideline or baseline to stop penetration and take a charge.

 

Foot on the line is you leaving the floor, technically, to gain a defensive advantage and should be a foul on you EVEN if you are not moving.

  • Author

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up. Maybe they are going to call it more closely this year. I agree that if you move, "displace" a player, it should be a foul.

I am not sure I understand, so when a player boxes out another at the free throw line or after a shot, they can not move the player or it is a foul. Would that not be the same for all post play also?

I am not sure I understand, so when a player boxes out another at the free throw line or after a shot, they can not move the player or it is a foul. Would that not be the same for all post play also?

 

It should BUT it is a lot easier to see and call when you are out on the floor rather than under the basket. Alot of things that you can get by with under the basket is a quick whistle at the 3 point line.

I am not sure I understand, so when a player boxes out another at the free throw line or after a shot, they can not move the player or it is a foul. Would that not be the same for all post play also?

 

think of defensive slides. You are supposed to be sliding side-to-side to keep them behind you but are not allowed to slide backwards and move them backward.

Ok.. I understand, I guess they just do not call it very often because it happens all the time. I have seen it called when a person is shooting a 3 point shot and the defender turns on them to block out and moves/bumps them. Of course they get to shoot 3.

Ok.. I understand, I guess they just do not call it very often because it happens all the time. I have seen it called when a person is shooting a 3 point shot and the defender turns on them to block out and moves/bumps them. Of course they get to shoot 3.

 

That exact thing was called 3 times at the scrimmage I was at on Saturday. Key thing is how much you move them and where on the floor it happens.

 

As I said, shooter at 3 point line and you are going to not get by with much of anything. Too open in front of all the fans and coaches.

 

I always tought 1-2 steps. Step with your right foot over to pivot around and back one step with your left foot. That was the extent of pushing them back. About a foot. Then slide when they go around you.

 

I think that would be acceptable. But when you start moving them 3-4 feet back, it is going to be called.

 

You don't really have to worry about the FT shooter because with the new FT lineups, you cannot get there in time to push them back.

I agree that pushing a player back 3 or 4 feet on a blockout is a pretty obvious foul, but there is also a fine line between fouling and aggressive basketball. If an defensive player if playing behind an offensive post (and thus automatically in position for a rebound), I want my offensive player to push the defensive player under the board (within reason of course).

 

Also, as a player, if I can't block out the opposition by pushing them out a few feet, then the refs better be calling the over-the-backs as much as they are calling block-out fouls. My opinion my be in the minority and maybe I'm just too old-school, but I want the refs to let the players play (within reason). Of course JMO.....

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.