Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

JV/Freshman game lengths

Featured Replies

Does anyone know why freshman games have only 8 minute quarters and JV games have only 10 minute quarters? I would assume this is mandated by KHSAA, but the reason escapes me. I mean, the boys are already dressed out and playing, so why not give them full 12-minute quarters? Some of the freshman and JV teams have large rosters and it would give more kids a chance to play and coaches a better opportunity to evaluate more players. I really feel sorry for the freshman. One long drive can practically eat up an entire quarter. I just don't see the reasonfor these time lengths. If 6th grade pee-wee players can play 8-minute quarters, surely 9th graders deserve more time than that. And would there possibly be any harm whatsoever in bumping up the JV quarters another 2 minutes?

 

Any background or insight into why it is done this way would be appreciated.

Does anyone know why freshman games have only 8 minute quarters and JV games have only 10 minute quarters? I would assume this is mandated by KHSAA, but the reason escapes me. I mean, the boys are already dressed out and playing, so why not give them full 12-minute quarters? Some of the freshman and JV teams have large rosters and it would give more kids a chance to play and coaches a better opportunity to evaluate more players. I really feel sorry for the freshman. One long drive can practically eat up an entire quarter. I just don't see the reasonfor these time lengths. If 6th grade pee-wee players can play 8-minute quarters, surely 9th graders deserve more time than that. And would there possibly be any harm whatsoever in bumping up the JV quarters another 2 minutes?

 

Any background or insight into why it is done this way would be appreciated.

I agree 100%:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I think it is up to the home team and don't believe it is mandated to be less than varsity games.

I believe any game below varsity can be 10 minute quarters unless 8th graders are involved. If a coach is not careful, officials will try to make them play shorter games.

Freshman have played 8 minute quarters for over 15 years. JV has played 10 minute quarters for over 15 years. The National Federation Rule Book actually mandates times for kids in specific grades. Pee Wee teams have their own league, so they dictate the times. In actuality, b/c those kids are under 9th grade, they should only be playing 8 minutes as well.

 

As for coaching, coaches know what they are getting into when they keep 40-60 kids. Maybe they should cut or set up B-games.

  • Author
Freshman have played 8 minute quarters for over 15 years. JV has played 10 minute quarters for over 15 years. The National Federation Rule Book actually mandates times for kids in specific grades. Pee Wee teams have their own league, so they dictate the times. In actuality, b/c those kids are under 9th grade, they should only be playing 8 minutes as well.

 

As for coaching, coaches know what they are getting into when they keep 40-60 kids. Maybe they should cut or set up B-games.

 

Appeciate the insight.

 

Of course, just because it has been done that way forever doesn't necessarily mean it is still the best way. In ancient times, doctors once thought the best way to relieve a migraine was to drill a hole in someone's head. Eventually they figured out there was a better way. Perhaps NFR or KHSAA or whoever might someday realize that allowing Freshman and JV to play 12-minute quarters isn't a bad thing.

I know when I coached frosh, I wished we played more than 32 minutes. You would be lucky to get 2 full posessions per quarter.

You also have to keep in mind that the length of the game is important because we are playing these games during school nights. Getting kids home in time to do homework and get quality sleep. I have never minded the shorter JV and Freshmen for those reasons. I don't like it when they try to play 8 minute JV games though. When you look at the numbers game , a team should have more JV than Freshmen players, so the 2minutes are important to get players in the game. I have been to several schools who either aren't putting a premium on JV or just don't have much there will try to play the 8 minutes quarters, which is bad because the score gets up there quick and the clock runs and your team loses time which you need to get kids in the game.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.