Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2007/2008 Owsley Co

Featured Replies

What does Owsley Co need to do to improve in 2007/2008? What do they need to keep doing to be successful? Remember, please be constructive.

They have already took a step in the right direction and got Coach Noble to coach them. Then bringing a great point guard to lead the team is another step. Any chance the player that left and went to Breathitt is coming back since he didn't get eligible at Breathitt? That would be the 3rd piece to the puzzle and would give them a great start to winning their district.

Owsley County has a new coach, Doug Noble, and we're happy to have him. He has coached mostly middle school at SMS for his career, but has had great success with a middle school state title, and another runner-up. I know high school is a different level, but he has had success and knows how to win. He has several players back from last year. Owsley was runner-up in the district tournament last year, and should be a contender this year. Powell, Lee, and Estill lost quite a bit to graduation, as did Owsley, so the district should be entertaining to watch this season.

I think the keys to Owsley's success is a strong point guard and leadership from the senior players. This was the elements lacking last year, not talent.

Owsley County has a new coach, Doug Noble, and we're happy to have him. He has coached mostly middle school at SMS for his career, but has had great success with a middle school state title, and another runner-up. I know high school is a different level, but he has had success and knows how to win. He has several players back from last year. Owsley was runner-up in the district tournament last year, and should be a contender this year. Powell, Lee, and Estill lost quite a bit to graduation, as did Owsley, so the district should be entertaining to watch this season.

Estill lost 1 player from their top 8. That player was integral, but having that much experience back is a big plus for them.

Owsley will be okay, but as 1owlzfan stated they lack in the pg position. I don't know if Noble is eligible or not but if he is he will be a tremendous help. I have talked to Lively of Powell and he stated that he has simply "re-loaded" and Estill will be tough. I agree with Professor, should be a very entertaining year in the 56th

Estill lost 1 player from their top 8. That player was integral, but having that much experience back is a big plus for them.

 

I thought they lost more than 1 player. My mistake. I would have to give Estill the top spot in the 56th, and with the other 3 schools fighting it out for second. With Powell's enrollment size (750), they usually are able to come up with a couple of kids who might not have played last year, but will help them this year. At least it seems that way in many years.

Owsley will be okay...they will rely lot on McIntosh, and I agree with others, the guard play is of paramount importance. Last year they had to pull a forward out to the PG position, but this year I don't think they have any front court players that can do that. So Brewer and Pierson are going to have to handle the pressure.

The guard play is a must. When one of the guards playing now pulls up and shots before trying to work the ball inside and back out, and the other guard still looks at the ball when he dribbles then yes the guard play is a must. I hope the new kid can help if he can play this year.

From what i have heard is that 2 kids from Breathitt that left and one from owlsley are all ineligible for this coming season,and are sitting out at their school teams thats the talk...

Owsley County has a new coach, Doug Noble, and we're happy to have him. He has coached mostly middle school at SMS for his career, but has had great success with a middle school state title, and another runner-up. I know high school is a different level, but he has had success and knows how to win. He has several players back from last year. Owsley was runner-up in the district tournament last year, and should be a contender this year. Powell, Lee, and Estill lost quite a bit to graduation, as did Owsley, so the district should be entertaining to watch this season.

 

I know Coach Noble and he is a fine man as well as a good coach. He just never got the respect in Breathitt Co. that he should have. He should have been Breathitt's Coach years ago and if that had been the case all of the player's that is leaving Breathitt's Basketball team would not have went anywhere. So Owsley you have a top rated coach now and good luck in the future to the Owls and Coach Noble.:dancingpa

I know Coach Noble and he is a fine man as well as a good coach. He just never got the respect in Breathitt Co. that he should have. He should have been Breathitt's Coach years ago and if that had been the case all of the player's that is leaving Breathitt's Basketball team would not have went anywhere. So Owsley you have a top rated coach now and good luck in the future to the Owls and Coach Noble.:dancingpa

Thanks.:thumb:

 

The future does indeed look bright for the Owls. I was told by a coach from another school that the Owls' talent pool looks very good in grades 5 through 7. He compared it to the youngsters that came up through the system in the mid '90s that went on to win 3 consecutive All A Region titles in "99, '00, and '01, and make it to rhe 14th region's semi's three times. I hope these kids continue to improve....that's pretty good company to be compared to.

At Owsley we have to work twice as hard as others to be competitive. We have only 750 students in the entire school district grades K through 12, and we have just one elementary and one junior high to feed our one high school. So, we have small numbers but we still have had successes in our high school's basketball history.

This is a basketball county (no football), and the sport takes up most of the discussion around town the day after a game.

GO OWLS!!!:dancingpa

Owsley County Basketball Fans should be extremely proud to have Doug Noble on the sidelines for the 2007-2008 season. He is a great individual and teacher--in the classroom and in the gymnasium. The kids absolutely love him. It is unbelievable to see the energy level and enthusiasm of the student athletes under his direction and in anticipation of what the future holds.

 

Good Luck to Coach Noble and the Owls!:dancingpa

Thanks.:thumb:

 

The future does indeed look bright for the Owls. I was told by a coach from another school that the Owls' talent pool looks very good in grades 5 through 7. He compared it to the youngsters that came up through the system in the mid '90s that went on to win 3 consecutive All A Region titles in "99, '00, and '01, and make it to rhe 14th region's semi's three times. I hope these kids continue to improve....that's pretty good company to be compared to.

At Owsley we have to work twice as hard as others to be competitive. We have only 750 students in the entire school district grades K through 12, and we have just one elementary and one junior high to feed our one high school. So, we have small numbers but we still have had successes in our high school's basketball history.

This is a basketball county (no football), and the sport takes up most of the discussion around town the day after a game.

GO OWLS!!!:dancingpa

 

I watched the Jr. High Boys game last night at Owsley and was very impressed. The boys looked very structured and extremely talented. I think the future looks bright for the Owls. :banana: :ylsuper::banana:

I think its great that the future of Owsley County has alot of potential but were in the present right now not the future. I think that the owls will win their district and will be tough in region. The reason for saying this is knowing the players very well and knowing how well these kids can play if they try. With the addition of coach Noble these kids will be at the top of their potential and will do great.

Yea I have heard that Travis Smith is doing a great job at the fifth and sixth grade level, and Owsleys 7th grade team does look really good so yes I think the future looks good at Owsley. I also think this years varisty team will surprise a lot of people. I just hope people give coach Noble time to build and let the team progress as the season goes by.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.