Illinois assistant joins Gillispie’s UK staff

Latch

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did I say very concerned or alarmed? No. I simply said there is a small amount of concern over it. And if there isn't, you're sticking your head in the sand...

Why would you be concerned over misses because of an assistant coach?

If the assistants were not getting in with kids or developing those relationships, then I would be concerned. See entire UK assistant staff from last year.

He works for the head coach...he sets the table and the HC has to finish.

Bruce Weber's job as a recruiter has not been so good. Illinois fans will tell you this. Weber has already missed out on at least the top 4 kids in Illinois this year.

Assistant coaches get them to the table...

I love Webster's connections to the AAU scene. He is tight with a few NBA guys, and has some very good connections in Illinois as well as the state of Florida.

It was clear BCG was going to bring in a guy who had great contacts and could possibly provide quick dividends based on his contacts/connections...see Miller.

Why would you be concerned over misses because of an assistant coach?

You went a long way to point out the importance of a lead recruiter.

At Illinois Webster wasn't good enough to overcome the flaws of his closer. At UK that shouldn't be a problem with BCG running the sales office.

Sorry if I raised a small bit of concern about this hire outside of the lock up on Miller.

Don't walk away from the fact you would be all over it if it was a hire at UL, IU, UC and so on.

Illinois was the leader on Darius up to the second Webster was hired at UK. It's a labs special in reverse...

LABS special in reverse...:D

Certain people were told that Darius was ready to verbal to Illinois. Then as time wore on over the last few weeks, the same people were saying that it is likely down to UK and UL, with UI getting some interest.

Webster's hiring likely sealed it and allowed for a much earlier verbal than some thought.

I think it became evident that proximity became an issue.

I still contend that UK would not be in the running with Tubby at the helm, but the word is Mom loved Tubby...