Last warning...

theguru

Originally posted by the mathemagician

I enjoy the political and religious discussions. It is the most enjoyable part of this forum. I haven't been offended by anything anyone has said in regards to politics. Whether it be pot shots at Bill or Billary or shots aimed at me personally, I enjoy it all. It's all good fun and NO ONE should take offense at what anyone says in a discussion about politics. Serious, civil discussion is fine but so is fun, somewhat irreverant talk about our political leaders. Why should I get upset about someone calling Bill a womanizer or a pothead? I enjoy everyone's comments, even those that run counter to mine. I don't take attacks on my favorite politicians personally. I wish some would not take a verbal dig at your favorites so personally.

No one disagrees with Math more on the issues than me. But I say, at the risk of being reprimanded, that I agree with Math 100% on this. I look at all the political posts as being interesting and fun, but others must see it differently. If Math was to stop posting, it wouldn't be the same. I would really miss Math.

Those who have worked hard to develop this board have every right to run it as they see fit, and those who disagree have the power to leave.

Sometimes we get out of hand, and I'm as guilty as anyone.

Some suggestions that might help to make us a better, more sociable community:

If you read something in a post that makes you angry, don't respond to it with full vitriolic anger right away. Let your anger breathe, then respond to it logically rather than angrily.

Have thicker skin; don't get offended so easily.

If you object to someone's views from the other side of the aisle, try looking at it from inside their shoes.

And if you're really, really angry and find yourself in a heated argument in a post, just let it die. I like a good argument as much as anyone, but I also realize that my views can occasionally upset people. I've done this a few times, especially during those times when I've been carrying on an argument with five or six people at a time. Know when to pull back on the reins.

Beating someone over the head with your arguments will never foster good debate and change someone's mind; it will only make them more angry. Logic is a much better weapon than ad hominem attacks, which these always seem to devolve into.

I check the general discussion forum first most times, as do many of you I'm sure. I don't want the fun to go away any more than anyone else. Discretion is the better part of valor. Exercise some healthy restraint, and the debates will remain healthy.

If I had a vote i would cut them out. Just causes hard feelings and makes people angry or at least irritated. There's eough of that anywhere you look. It would be great to have discussions without that stuff but like I ahve been told all my life be careful of discussions of Politics and Religion. Just my opinion.

Originally posted by hicknick

No one disagrees with Math more on the issues than me. But I say, at the risk of being reprimanded, that I agree with Math 100% on this. I look at all the political posts as being interesting and fun, but others must see it differently. If Math was to stop posting, it wouldn't be the same. I would really miss Math.

Those who have worked hard to develop this board have every right to run it as they see fit, and those who disagree have the power to leave.

Thanks so much for your kind words. I think we are absolutely eye to eye on this. I enjoy the posts of those who disagree with me as much as those who agree. As you said, we disagree significantly on a lot of issues. But so what? Does that mean I don't like you? Does that mean I don't respect your comments? Just the opposite. I love folks who express strong passionate views. In my opinion, it is folks who are passionate in their views, and maybe even a little outrageous at times, that makes these threads so fun to read. It's just all about fun and entertainment , folks. Hick, you obviously get it.

Hick, I concur totally with your sentiments. I love folks who aren't afraid to say what they feel and feel what they say. Don't ever worry about offending me, because I do not take comments on here personally. I hope no one gets offended by my comments. I would like to think that I make the discussions a little more interesting, if nothing else. Am I a bit outrageous at times? Sure. But I am outrageous for a purpose. I like to stir passion in folks, encourage them to think, prompt them to question their leaders(on both sides), and maybe even question my sanity(LOL).

I hope the spirited, and sometimes fiery discussions will continue. I hope a little bit of outrageousness is mixed in at times. It makes things more fun and entertaining, IMO.

Hick, though we disagree quite a bit, I would miss you a lot as well. Don't hold anything back on my account. It is folks like you that may the G.D. forum great. I love folks who are courageous enough to state their convictions, even when they know others may slam their views. I respect those who are courageous enough to be a little outrageous and irreverant at times even more than those who always opt for the sound of silence.

Originally posted by fan_of_every_team

I think this thread became exactly what Guru was talking about! I say who can think of politics at a time like this........................

Uk just beat Indiana by 39, lets party:dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa :dancingpa

Let's discuss the POLITICS of the UK/IU rivalry. :lol:

Originally posted by the mathemagician

Let's discuss the POLITICS of the UK/IU rivalry. :lol:

I am an IU fan. Mike Davis has never beaten UK. Since we are so young and inexperienced, especially in the post, there should have been a leveling of the playing field (or basketball court). There should have been affirmative action that would have spotted IU 40 points, using a point system that calculates coaching record, team record, age of players, size of players and injured players.

There's no justice.

;)

I am an IU fan. Mike Davis has never beaten UK. Since we are so young and inexperienced, especially in the post, there should have been a leveling of the playing field (or basketball court). There should have been affirmative action that would have spotted IU 40 points, using a point system that calculates coaching record, team record, age of players, size of players and injured players.

There's no justice.

;)

Typical Republican . Full of contradictions. A Bush supporter and yet advocating affirmative action in college sports. Shameful. ;):D

Math,

Do not assume that my objections were based on my politcal affiliations and whether or not I was offended by anyones comments towards our leaders. Nothing could be further from the truth. I am so apathetic towards politics that I couldn't care less what anyone thinks about our leaders, certainly not enough to get offended. My objections are based upon the aggrivation and extra work it creates for the moderators and theguru when grownups act like children and cannot follow the rules outlined for them on this forum.

As I stated before, I do not have a problem with political debate as long as the posters are CIVIL with one another. That does not mean you can't be derrogatory towards our political leaders. They are fair game as far as I am concerned. No one ever said you couldn't be critical of our leaders. But personal attacks against other posters are off limits, period.

The problem with the political "discussions", and I use that lightly, is that they seem to always take that turn down the wrong path and somebody always ends up breaking the rules. Partly because people are passionate about their politics and partly because some posters have taken the role of instigator and they prey on that passion. I have read a lot of inflamatory comments and juvenile remarks that I know are posted with the express intent of baiting another poster into a heated response.

And while that may seem clever and funny to some, it is a nightmare for the moderators. All of whom are volunteering their time because they love the SPORTS discussions here on BGP.

If the General Discussion Forum becomes too much work, then it ain't worth the trouble, IMO. The General Discussion Forum is the after dinner mint on the BGP table. It is nice to have and is intended to be enjoyed but nobody comes to the restaurant to get the mint. And if it is too strong then it leaves a bad taste in your mouth and it sours the whole experience. And here lately I have felt like I have been eating a bunch of spoiled mints in a row.

Toots,

I understand what you are saying completely and I agree whole-heartedly. Personal attacks against me I really don't mind, but I agree that we probably shouldn't be too critical of each other. Most of the personal stuff wasn't meant to be taken seriously at all. There are a couple of my adversaries on here that I love going back and forth with and I know they like it as well. Another one or two couldn't see a joke if it hit them square in the patoot. For those, I hope they will lighten up and not take themselves so seriously. Let's just have fun trading jabs at our political leaders and not take anything personally or too seriously.

Math,

Consider the following disclaimer on subsequent postings:

This post reflects my thoughts and opinions. It does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my wife, my kids, my fish, my cats (if I had one and I do not), my car, or my computer. All rights reserved. Subject to change without notice. Enlarged to show detail. Employees and their family are not eligible. Beware of dog. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Hand wash only. Do not fold, spindle, staple, or mutilate. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. Void where prohibited. No warranties expressed or implied. User assumes all liabilities. Not liable for damages due to misuse. An equal opportunity employer. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Quantities are limited. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Quality may vary. No parking. No Standing. No Solicitors. No Spitting. No Kidding. Post No Bills. No substitutions. No one under 17 admitted. Keep away from direct sunlight. Limited one per family. No money down. No purchase necessary. Cash and carry. You do not need to be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. Breaking seal voids warranty. Has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Action figures sold separately. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models are over 18 years of age. Available in fine stores everywhere. Take a number please. Preservatives added to improve freshness. Safety goggles must be worn at all times. Hard hat area. Sealed for your protection. The buck stops here. Call before you dig. Add toner. Place stamp here or post office will not deliver. For external use only. If a rash, redness, irritation, or swelling develops, discontinue use and consult your physician. Use only with proper ventilation. Sanitized for your protection. Avoid extreme temperature. Store in a cool dry place. Refrigerate after opening. Keep away from open flame. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash, rinse, repeat. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near any magnetic source. May be hazardous to your health. We're not in Kansas any more. Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go. Slippery when wet. For official use only. Not affiliated with with any government agency. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Trespassers will be prosecuted. No animals were harmed in the making of this film. No salt, MSG, or artificial color added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. If symptoms persist, call 911. The white zone is for passenger loading and unloading only. Contents under pressure. Restaurant packaging, not for resale. Pull down, then tear up. Contents may settle during shipment. Sign here without admitting guilt. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Driver does not carry cash. Auto pilot is engaged during flight. Substantial penalties for early withdrawal. Slightly higher outside the continental US. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. Other restrictions may apply. Your mileage may vary.

:D

Math,

Consider the following disclaimer on subsequent postings:

This post reflects my thoughts and opinions. It does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of my wife, my kids, my fish, my cats (if I had one and I do not), my car, or my computer. All rights reserved. Subject to change without notice. Enlarged to show detail. Employees and their family are not eligible. Beware of dog. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Hand wash only. Do not fold, spindle, staple, or mutilate. No substitutions allowed. For a limited time only. Void where prohibited. No warranties expressed or implied. User assumes all liabilities. Not liable for damages due to misuse. An equal opportunity employer. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Quantities are limited. Do not write below this line. Falling rock. Quality may vary. No parking. No Standing. No Solicitors. No Spitting. No Kidding. Post No Bills. No substitutions. No one under 17 admitted. Keep away from direct sunlight. Limited one per family. No money down. No purchase necessary. Cash and carry. You do not need to be present to win. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear. Breaking seal voids warranty. Has been shown to cause cancer in laboratory animals. Action figures sold separately. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models are over 18 years of age. Available in fine stores everywhere. Take a number please. Preservatives added to improve freshness. Safety goggles must be worn at all times. Hard hat area. Sealed for your protection. The buck stops here. Call before you dig. Add toner. Place stamp here or post office will not deliver. For external use only. If a rash, redness, irritation, or swelling develops, discontinue use and consult your physician. Use only with proper ventilation. Sanitized for your protection. Avoid extreme temperature. Store in a cool dry place. Refrigerate after opening. Keep away from open flame. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash, rinse, repeat. Do not puncture, incinerate, or store above 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Do not place near any magnetic source. May be hazardous to your health. We're not in Kansas any more. Hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go. Slippery when wet. For official use only. Not affiliated with with any government agency. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Trespassers will be prosecuted. No animals were harmed in the making of this film. No salt, MSG, or artificial color added. If ingested, do not induce vomiting. If symptoms persist, call 911. The white zone is for passenger loading and unloading only. Contents under pressure. Restaurant packaging, not for resale. Pull down, then tear up. Contents may settle during shipment. Sign here without admitting guilt. Contestants have been briefed on some questions before the show. Driver does not carry cash. Auto pilot is engaged during flight. Substantial penalties for early withdrawal. Slightly higher outside the continental US. Allow four to six weeks for delivery. Other restrictions may apply. Your mileage may vary.

:D

And now for the million dollar question, why do we have all of these warnings?

Because someone took advantage of the RULES!

The end. That's all folks. Done. Finished. Complete. Over. Time up. Das Boot!:cool: