Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ruling? Right or wrong?

Featured Replies

2 outs in the bottom half of an inning in softball...Game is tied 2-2... Girl hits a three run home run to put them up 5-2....she takes her helmet off before she steps on home plate...after the hitting team plays in the field comes back in and the ump decided to take the runs back off...the team ends up losing the game and not qualifying for state...shouldnt atleast the 2 runs before her count....any one have any other thought?

2 outs in the bottom half of an inning in softball...Game is tied 2-2... Girl hits a three run home run to put them up 5-2....she takes her helmet off before she steps on home plate...after the hitting team plays in the field comes back in and the ump decided to take the runs back off...the team ends up losing the game and not qualifying for state...shouldnt atleast the 2 runs before her count....any one have any other thought?

 

 

If this were baseball, the 2 runs would count but not the 3rd.

I question whether the umpire can even change that call after the hitting team has played in the field. On a changeable call I thought it had to happen before the next legal pitch.

Two runs should have counted, and as All Tell aluded to, the opposing coach should have appealed immediately after the play and the call should have been made before the next pitch. I'm not an umpire, or am I for certain about all of this but I'm pretty sure that's how it should have been. Sounds like the KHSAA may be looking to have someone's job assuming this is brought to their attention. :ssh:

 

Reminds me of an 11-12 year old all-star game I played in when I was younger. My team was down by three and a player on my team crushes a three run homerun to tie the ball game. Well all of a sudden the opposing team's coach gets a ball from their dugout, throws it to the pitcher, the pitcher then tosses it to first base. The umpire then calls the guy who hit the homer out saying he didn't touch first (when really he literally tripped over first base and nearly fell while circling the bases). This was a great case of getting the shaft, we eventually lost by that one run.

I question whether the umpire can even change that call after the hitting team has played in the field. On a changeable call I thought it had to happen before the next legal pitch.

It does...just like the appeal on a runner missing the bag.

It does...just like the appeal on a runner missing the bag.

 

I'm guessing there is a rule in softball about keeping your helmet on and, if so, the umpire realized his/her mistake. Its not an appeal.

 

The Orioles played a game recently where the umpire took runs off the board an inning after it happened.

2 outs in the bottom half of an inning in softball...Game is tied 2-2... Girl hits a three run home run to put them up 5-2....she takes her helmet off before she steps on home plate...after the hitting team plays in the field comes back in and the ump decided to take the runs back off...the team ends up losing the game and not qualifying for state...shouldnt atleast the 2 runs before her count....any one have any other thought?

 

 

The team did not lose the chance to go to state. They played a make up game after this decision and they lost. They lost big too. However I think this is a rule but honestly who would enforce it. They dont seem to enforce it when David Ortiz does it everytime he has a walk off. I wouldt be the ump to enforce it.

  • Author
The team did not lose the chance to go to state. They played a make up game after this decision and they lost. They lost big too. However I think this is a rule but honestly who would enforce it. They dont seem to enforce it when David Ortiz does it everytime he has a walk off. I wouldt be the ump to enforce it.

They did lose the chance to go to class a state...if they had won that would have been their second win and they would have went on.. It wasn't a make up game, it was a best of 3 series with Somerset winning the first, losing the second on that call, and losing the third also.

Calling a girl out on something like that is bush!! No seasoned umpire would do that. That is not the spirit of the rule. You see courtesy runners come out all the time and the person being run for often takes their helmet off before they get to the dugout. Sometimes they exchange helmets. Should we call them out because they took their helmets off "on purpose"? You can say that the ball is dead and that makes it ok. Even though the homerun play is still "live" there is no danger of the ball being thrown around and hurting the girl. That rule is a safety rule. Again, not the spirit of the rule. Just like if the coach high 5's the girl as she rounds third after hitting a home run. Would you call her out because the coached touched her?? Someone could interpret that as aiding the base runner. Give me a break!!

 

A good umpire would have looked down at the plate at that point to make sure she touched it and the field umpire should have looked the other way as well. If the coach protesting caused this call to be made, he is bush too. I would have said, "I didn't see that coach. I was watching to make sure she touched the plate."

Calling a girl out on something like that is bush!! No seasoned umpire would do that. That is not the spirit of the rule. You see courtesy runners come out all the time and the person being run for often takes their helmet off before they get to the dugout. Sometimes they exchange helmets. Should we call them out because they took their helmets off "on purpose"? You can say that the ball is dead and that makes it ok. Even though the homerun play is still "live" there is no danger of the ball being thrown around and hurting the girl. That rule is a safety rule. Again, not the spirit of the rule. Just like if the coach high 5's the girl as she rounds third after hitting a home run. Would you call her out because the coached touched her?? Someone could interpret that as aiding the base runner. Give me a break!!

 

A good umpire would have looked down at the plate at that point to make sure she touched it and the field umpire should have looked the other way as well. If the coach protesting caused this call to be made, he is bush too. I would have said, "I didn't see that coach. I was watching to make sure she touched the plate."

Thats pretty much what I would have done, as well.

wow, what a bad call.

 

it's a homerun. No reason to do that.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.