Shannon Burcham new Trigg County coach

Shannon Burcham, a former Trigg player and assistant coach, will be named the new Trigg head coach at a press conference later today.

Burcham was the head coach at Madisonville last year, coaching them to a 5-6 record and a 3-point loss to Hopkinsville in the first round of the playoffs.

Madisonville now looks for their fifth head coach in five years.

Madisonville now looks for their fifth head coach in five years.

That is almost unbelievable. Am I the only one that believes Madisonville could be one of the best jobs in West Ky? What are the problems at Madisonville? I understand that Burcham is from Trigg, but isn't Madisonville a better job than Trigg?

For whatever reason, Madisonville has been a chronic underachiever for about 20-25 years now.

Oh so true but according to my dad there was a time when the Name Maroons struck fear into all foes. They also once along time ago produced a pretty darn good running back

I think the redrawing of the districts when South and West consolidated 11 years ago affected Madisonville on the surface more than people realized. If I'm not mistaken, Hopkins Central picked up the kids in the Earlington area (basketball) and South Hopkins (football), while also picking up a chunk of kids who used to be in the Madisonville district before they redrew the lines.

Of course, the politics associated with the Madisonville job doesn't help matters too much either.

I think the redrawing of the districts when South and West consolidated 11 years ago affected Madisonville on the surface more than people realized. If I'm not mistaken, Hopkins Central picked up the kids in the Earlington area (basketball) and South Hopkins (football), while also picking up a chunk of kids who used to be in the Madisonville district before they redrew the lines.

Of course, the politics associated with the Madisonville job doesn't help matters too much either.

All true, but the program was struggling well before then.

Trigg wasted no time. Friday was the last day they accepted applications. Monday they interviewed another canidate and Burcham on Tuesday and he was offered the job on the spot.

Madisonville has always had good athletes but not the consistent game breakers like a Haney, Waddle, Johnson, or Boyd. 99, 2000, & 2004 they made it to the Region Championship before losing to Hopkinsville. Their 2000 senior class was real good with some good athletes.

Next year Madisonville should be good up front with just about everybody returning and some quality experience with the skill kids.

Trigg wasted no time. Friday was the last day they accepted applications. Monday they interviewed another canidate and Burcham on Tuesday and he was offered the job on the spot.

Madisonville has always had good athletes but not the consistent game breakers like a Haney, Waddle, Johnson, or Boyd. 99, 2000, & 2004 they made it to the Region Championship before losing to Hopkinsville. Their 2000 senior class was real good with some good athletes.

Next year Madisonville should be good up front with just about everybody returning and some quality experience with the skill kids.

Actually, the site based council met Monday and approved the hiring of Burcham Monday afternoon. I heard there was two interviews Monday and one over the weekend. It was actually one of the worst kept secrets that the school wanted Burcham back as head coach, even before Higgins had resigned.

Actually, the site based council met Monday and approved the hiring of Burcham Monday afternoon. I heard there was two interviews Monday and one over the weekend. It was actually one of the worst kept secrets that the school wanted Burcham back as head coach, even before Higgins had resigned.

This doesn't make any sense,why would they want to get rid of a guy who been pretty successful to get a guy who hadn't proven himself.He goes 5-6 in his only year as a head coach and they act like he's better than what they had.Why didn't they go after someone who had proven himself.With the talent they've got coming back, alot of coaches out there could get them to the semi's but why not go after a coach that has been to the State game to get them there?

It was well known that when the Trigg job became available Jaggers would apply. It's in his nature. But in the end interview or not Trigg didn't have the money to get him away from Mercer. It was Burchams job the day he applied and sent in his resume and Letter of Interest. I know one Coach that was contacted and asked of his interest but later withdrew his name from consideration.

Burcham is an intelligent individual and a young defensive coach on the rise. Last year at Madisonville their offense was the weak link. Getting 0 offensive points in 3 games.