PRP's Newman getting some attention from NCAA elite.

strike-3

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007703110553

The 6-foot-1, 310-pound Newman is quickly becoming the most highly recruited in-state player in the Class of 2008 after an offer last week from Notre Dame. Newman also has an offer from the University of Kentucky.

Newman, who had 68 tackles and 22 for a loss as a junior, also has interest from the University of Louisville, Alabama, Miami, Auburn, Indiana University and Cincinnati.

Newman received the offer from Notre Dame in a call from coach Charlie Weis last week. Newman has a 3.9 grade-point average, squatted 600 pounds, bench pressed 350 and ran a five-second 40-yard dash last summer when he was only 15.

From a Notre Dame recruiting site that I visit, It looks as if the Irish are making him a big priority. I would imagine UL will be hard to beat for him.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Newman will visit Notre Dame again this weekend. The Irish need plenty of help on D, so he would be a nice pickup IMO. Things are looking pretty good for ND.

The nose guard from Louisville, Ky., will be back in South Bend this weekend for his third spring visit, this time joined by his mother and high school coach. On Saturday Newman will get the royal treatment from Weis, complete with a campus tour aboard the head coach's golf cart

The visit may be more geared for his supporting cast, with his mother set to meet with admissions and his high school coach scheduled to talk more with the Irish staff. Newman said his parents favor the Irish and his coach does too.

"I feel like my coach has my best interests in mind," Newman said. "Plenty of college coaches have come to visit me. It's funny because when it comes to the best relationship with coaches, it's the Notre Dame guys. My coach feels the same way about them."

The reason for that stems from Notre Dame's offer to Newman in early March when the only other scholarship on the table was from Kentucky. Instead of second-guessing the lack of high-profile interest, the Irish coaches decided Newman would be the perfect fit in the 3-4 scheme.

"They want me to do what I do basically in high school and that means a lot," Newman said. "My coach always says that Notre Dame didn't offer me because UK offered me. They offered me because they knew what they wanted."

Newman appears to be down to Notre Dame, Louisville, Kentucky, and Stanford.

From all the ink Newman is getting, I feel sorry for the teams he will be going up against this year. Who was the last person in Jefferson County who has visited Notre Dame as much as Newman? I wish him luck.

From all the ink Newman is getting, I feel sorry for the teams he will be going up against this year. Who was the last person in Jefferson County who has visited Notre Dame as much as Newman? I wish him luck.

Tony Driver I believe...I talked with him a couple of weeks ago...

Louisville has made up a lot of ground very quickly with Newman, and there's a lot of time left on the clock. If I were a defensive line player, I woulld look at what Louisville has produced lately and be very interested.

He will be a Wildcat. He is best friends with Cory Peters and loves UK and the staff.
I think it's a bold statement to say he WILL be anything right now, outside of a Domer. He seems like a heavy Irish lean to me.

I think it's a bold statement to say he WILL be anything right now, outside of a Domer. He seems like a heavy Irish lean to me.

He will be a Cat, it's all over but the signing. UK was first to offer, he loves the staff and is great friends with Cory Peters and his coach is a huge UK fan. Joker has done a great job recruiting him!

He will be a Cat, it's all over but the signing. UK was first to offer, he loves the staff and is great friends with Cory Peters and his coach is a huge UK fan. Joker has done a great job recruiting him!
We'll see. That's some serious 'you heard it here first.'

Well, his coach is up at ND with him this weekend on their own dime for the third time...