Whitley Co. 66 South Laurel 60

WC put together an excellent defensive effort, holding SL under 37 percent (21-57) from the field. Part of that had to do with SL's Lauren Wombles spending a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble.

Four Colonels hit for double figures: McCullah (15), Holbrook (14), and Brimm and Jones (13 apiece).

For SL:

Smith (15), Wombles (14) and Justice (10)

It would be pretty sad if SL has the misfortune of drawing Clay Co.

Why would it be sad? To win the region you are going to have to beat them sometime. The First Round would be as good a time as any....

Both teams played very well but Whitley appeared to want it more down the stretch. #10 for South is a excellant player.

Whitley's student section was the best right along with the basketball team.

Why would it be sad? To win the region you are going to have to beat them sometime. The First Round would be as good a time as any....

Both teams played very well but Whitley appeared to want it more down the stretch. #10 for South is a excellant player.

Whitley's student section was the best right along with the basketball team.

Because you and I both know SL would roll in the 51st and 52nd districts.

WC put together an excellent defensive effort, holding SL under 37 percent (21-57) from the field. Part of that had to do with SL's Lauren Wombles spending a lot of time on the bench in foul trouble.

Four Colonels hit for double figures: McCullah (15), Holbrook (14), and Brimm and Jones (13 apiece).

For SL:

Smith (15), Wombles (14) and Justice (10)

It would be pretty sad if SL has the misfortune of drawing Clay Co.

But if they draw to the opposite bracket as Clay, South should have smooth sailing into the finals with Whitley in the other side and Corbin out. If Whitley draws opposite Clay, the road to the region finals will actually be easier for them than to the district finals.

I honestly feel as though South and Whitley can play with Clay...........they just have to believe it.

Because you and I both know SL would roll in the 51st and 52nd districts.

You are probably right, but you still have to beat Clay to win the region. I agree that Corbin would win both those districts and rather easily, Corbin is just as good as SL and WC and may have the best coach of the three.

You are probably right, but you still have to beat Clay to win the region. I agree that Corbin would win both those districts and rather easily, Corbin is just as good as SL and WC and may have the best coach of the three.

You are so right!:thumb:

Whitley wanted the game more from the opening tip. They played with a lot more intensity from beginning to end. Brimm and McCullah had great tournaments. Holbrook outmuscled Wombles and made her work for every point. South is capable of playing much better. 3 of the top 4 teams in the region are in the 50th. Corbin lost the coin toss and and suffered a tough loss to Whitley. Williamsburg would be competitive in the other 3 districts but were 0 and 7 against the 50th. They were 14 and 12 overall. Clay is still the best team in the mountains.