Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Open Job: Warren Central

Featured Replies

23 hours ago, JustL00kin said:

Why is it no one stays?

bad culture in the school, lack of talent,  admin, lack of community support? 
 

I’ll add to what Dragonfire said. The coaching carousel has been mind boggling. The diversity in the school has impacted football as well. So many different cultures there and most of those have nothing to do with football. That’s just a fact. It’s impacted every sport in the school except boys basketball (hmmm). Baseball over there has a revolving door of coaches as well, and many Babe Ruth teams could run rule them. Now, it’s helped sports like soccer tremendously. 
Financially, I was personally approached about donating to help volleyball get shoes, knee pads, etc 3-4 yrs ago (and I’m a Greenwood guy). It’s really sad that that’s an issue. 

  • Replies 42
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    Began towards the end of the 1990s in terms of refugee influx.  It's always been there some, but that was when a surge of Bosnians were moving in. The western side of town is older, and one of the few

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    I'm tired, so very, very tired.  But what I'm tired of most is the decision maker's at the school clearly not understanding how to hire people that will stay.  I wanted Tyreon Clark last hiring c

  • DragonFire
    DragonFire

    In retrospect they should have hired him years ago.

31 minutes ago, TheBarber said:

I’ll add to what Dragonfire said. The coaching carousel has been mind boggling. The diversity in the school has impacted football as well. So many different cultures there and most of those have nothing to do with football. That’s just a fact. It’s impacted every sport in the school except boys basketball (hmmm). Baseball over there has a revolving door of coaches as well, and many Babe Ruth teams could run rule them. Now, it’s helped sports like soccer tremendously. 
Financially, I was personally approached about donating to help volleyball get shoes, knee pads, etc 3-4 yrs ago (and I’m a Greenwood guy). It’s really sad that that’s an issue. 

It happens in every city that has 5 or more high schools. One is always taking the refugees or second chance kids. From my understanding Warren Central had an influx of Burmese refugees and many athletes were going to Bowling Green. Demographics in the town change and that's what happened to Warren Central. 

48 minutes ago, TheBarber said:

I’ll add to what Dragonfire said. The coaching carousel has been mind boggling. The diversity in the school has impacted football as well. So many different cultures there and most of those have nothing to do with football. That’s just a fact. It’s impacted every sport in the school except boys basketball (hmmm). Baseball over there has a revolving door of coaches as well, and many Babe Ruth teams could run rule them. Now, it’s helped sports like soccer tremendously. 
Financially, I was personally approached about donating to help volleyball get shoes, knee pads, etc 3-4 yrs ago (and I’m a Greenwood guy). It’s really sad that that’s an issue. 

Sounds a lot like Apollo High School, IMO. 

5 hours ago, jester270 said:

Sounds a lot like Apollo High School, IMO. 

Does Apollo have that many refugees there? I guess they do being over there on Southtown.  That area of Owensboro use to have Towne Square Mall and alot of restaurants in that area now it's a ghost town. A ton of businesses moved out to Hwy 54. Our town isn't really growing it's just moving in spots. The Westside ain't the best side anymore. It's EAST SIDE! 

22 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

It happens in every city that has 5 or more high schools. One is always taking the refugees or second chance kids. From my understanding Warren Central had an influx of Burmese refugees and many athletes were going to Bowling Green. Demographics in the town change and that's what happened to Warren Central. 

Not just the Burmese kids. Someone told me a year or so ago that there are over 80 languages spoken at Warren Central.. That’s mind blowing.

1 hour ago, TheBarber said:

Not just the Burmese kids. Someone told me a year or so ago that there are over 80 languages spoken at Warren Central.. That’s mind blowing.

Wow. That's amazing. Well it's not easy at that school and people wonder why the "Joe Hood or Rick Wood days" are gone. The whole dynamics of the town changed. When did this happen? What years did they start having this influx of refugees? I wondered why a guy like Tim Riley left Warren Central with all those athletes there. 

  • Author
2 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

Wow. That's amazing. Well it's not easy at that school and people wonder why the "Joe Hood or Rick Wood days" are gone. The whole dynamics of the town changed. When did this happen? What years did they start having this influx of refugees? I wondered why a guy like Tim Riley left Warren Central with all those athletes there. 

Began towards the end of the 1990s in terms of refugee influx.  It's always been there some, but that was when a surge of Bosnians were moving in. The western side of town is older, and one of the few places that some more modest housing has been built.  Lots of apartments as well.  Some really great communities have popped up with refugee populations, and many/most are within Warren Central's district.  ESL population was definitely on the rise throughout the 2000-2010 timeline, but what changed the balance of the school was South Warren opening, and how the county chose to district that.  They removed a portion of Rockfield Elementary's district from Warren Central's feeder area, which was by and large where their more middle class population came from, and heavily white.  83% of the students removed were AP students, to help understand the impact of that.  Mind you, the entire reason South Warren was opened (or at least the primary goal expressed publicly) was to lower the enrollment of Greenwood.  If the argument was ever that Rockfield was so close to South Warren that of course some of their students would go there, I'd counter (and have) that there are several places out near Greenwood where I can see the school and be standing in South Warren's district.  The board member who represents the majority of Warren Central's district (and still does) lived in the area that was redistricted to South Warren, as well as his son (a linebacker) along with multiple anchor pieces of the original South Warren Spartan football program.  Including a future Kentucky Wildcat as well as the school's initial quarterback. Draw your own conclusion on that, I sure have.

If it isn't boys' basketball or boys' soccer, you can see exactly what that did to the school.  The football team won 10, 11, 11, and 6 games in the first four years that South Warren was open (I.e. the first class to graduate that were freshmen when South opened).  They've won 21 cumulatively in the 12 seasons since, and six of those came in the first year of that timeframe. The girls' basketball team made their last region tournament in that fourth year after South opened - they haven't won a district semifinal since and last year found tactful ways of canceling their entire last month of games and forfeited their district tournament game. The baseball team won the region the last year before South Warren opened - they have not advanced to a region tournament since, scored a total of seven runs in going winless last year, they've got five total wins post-COVID, and their head coaching job is basically the Harry Potter Defense Against the Dark Arts position because they've had five different coaches in the last six years. And so on.  I've been over the topic before, particularly in football, that Warren Central is not blameless in how bad some things have gotten, but they were basically put in a position where they had to be flawless to even maintain these programs, and they were anything but.  No room for error.

I will say there are some nuanced reasons as to why Tim Riley left that I won't go into, but what was happening with how things were done with that districting, definitely part of it.  The feeder system was decimated and the only reason the basketball team is doing what they're doing is because they made the absolute perfect hire in Will Unseld, and that has helped attract players and keep the ones they do have from the feeder system.  Whenever he moves on, they'll be in the same boat if they don't make the right hire. 

I'll leave you with a data dump.  Warren Central is 67% minority as of 2025 - it was 27.6% in 2010, the last year before South opened. They are considered 79.9% economically disadvantaged (that's actually down from 90.6% in 21-22). It's not a 1:1 exact comparison because the KDE report cards don't go back there so I had to go elsewhere for data, but they had 59% who were free and reduced lunch eligible in 2010.  22.9% are English learners.  They didn't list data for English as a Second Language, which would encompass a greater number.

When are they starting the interview process?

Any word on this one?

45 minutes ago, LongHairedRedneck69 said:

Anybody hearing the same thing I'm hearing???

 

If so, yikes. 

????????

  • Author

I don't know, and honestly at the moment, don't know that I want to know.  

I know someone who is interviewing Saturday so I don't know what has has been said, but surely they haven't offered the position before all have interviewed. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.