1st Region Week 12 Review and Rankings

How about those Mustangs!  An impressive win (short-handed) at Murray resulted in the #2 spot for them this week.

Key Games this week:

Tues - Ballard Mem. at Calloway, Marshall at Madisonville

Thurs - Calloway at Lyon Co. (Region 1 GOTW), Caldwell at Tilghman

Here are this week's rankings:

1. Calloway Co. (16-9) - W 75-45 at Mayfield, W 72-63 vs Tilghman, L 55-56 vs Christian Co.

A little disappointed in the home loss to Christian County, but this Calloway team is 13-2 since the return of Eli Finley.  The dynamic Junior trio of Finley, Butler and Lockhart are scoring more than 56 points per game.

2. McCracken Co. (22-7) - W 33-32 at Muray, W 67-60 vs Marshall Co.

The victory at Murray was without their leading scorer, Connor Miller.  After some missed FTs by Murray, Freshman PG Jay Martin drove the length of the floor for the 33-32 win (are we sure they played 4 quarters???). Remember that this is a pretty young team by McCracken's standards.  Out of their top 7 scorers - only three are Juniors and Seniors (Miller, Dylan Jackson, and Grayson Parrish).

3. Murray (22-8) - L 32-33 vs McCracken Co., W 60-33 at Carlisle Co.

After the tough loss to the Mustangs, the Tigers went to Carlisle and got an easy victory.  As opposed to the Mustangs this is a veteran squad - 4 of their top 5 scorers are Seniors.  I expect these Tigers to make a good run in the regional tourney.

4. Marshall Co. (19-7) - W 69-60 vs Webster Co., L 60-67 at McCracken Co., W 63-55 at St. Mary

It's still hard for me to believe that one of Calloway or Marshall will not make the regional tourney.  I guess that's just how the cookie crumbles sometimes.  You better believe that the Lakers/Marshals semifinal game will be my GOTW next week!

5. St. Mary (19-10) - W 69-67 Trigg Co. (FedEx Forum), W 81-45 at CCA, L 55-63 vs Marshall Co.

The Vikings had won eight in a row before their loss to the Marshals.   This is a dangerous team for tourney time.

6. Paducah Tilghman (11-14) - W 79-72 vs UHA, L 63-72 at Calloway Co.

It was good for the Tornado to get their leading scorer Woodfork back after missing a few games due to illness.  He scored 25 in their nice win against University Heights.  I'd also like to give a shoutout to Avery Thompson, who is one of the only 8th graders to contribute in the 1st Region this season.  He's a heckuva football player too - I believe he already has an offer from the UK Wildcats.

7. Mayfield (15-8) - L 45-75 vs Calloway, W 57-50 at Caldwell Co.

Two very good wins in sweeping Caldwell County in the last two weeks.  

8. Graves Co. (19-9) - W 54-51 at Carlisle Co., L 47-50 at Caldwell Co. 

The Eagles were rolling, but then they lost the last three out of four.  I still think this team could make a run in the regional tourney.  With Pigg, Veucasovic, and Waller there is definitely some veteran talent on this team.

9. Carlisle Co. (18-10) - L 51-54 vs Graves Co., L 33-60 vs Murray

Does anyone think the Comets will have any trouble in the 1st District tourney?  Nah.  I don't think so.

10. Ballard Mem. (8-21) - W 60-55 vs Trigg Co., W 68-29 vs Hickman

I definitely think this team is better than their record shows.  I expect that they'll give Mayfield a pretty good game next week at districts.

11. CFS (9-19)

12. Fulton City (6-22)

13. Fulton Co. (5-19)

14. CCA (8-20)

15. Hickman Co. (5-16)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/22/2024 at 5:25 PM, D Wolf said:

It’s my understanding that Miller just missed a couple games due to illness.  I think he is back unless there is something I haven’t heard about.  

He's back. He was sick. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1