Central 56 Saint Xavier 52

52 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Central opens season at home 1-0 with good win over St. X. I'm surprised by this result but maybe Central is improved over last year.

I watched Central in a scrimmage game at Butler a couple weeks ago and said it was one of Bibby's better teams.

• Like 2

I looked at stat report for St. X to try and figure how they lost and what stuck out was they shot 4-21 from 3pt line. They normally shoot much better than that. Nelson Williams who is normally over 40% 3 shooter was 2-9. Maybe Central played good D but I wasn't there so don't know.

I wonder if there is ever any grumbling about the state of this program. The poster boy for mediocrity for years on end while they rack up state titles in every other sport and their Catholic school counterparts excel in hoops and compete for region/state titles. Why can’t ST X…..ever?

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, Hoopstars said:

I wonder if there is ever any grumbling about the state of this program. The poster boy for mediocrity for years on end while they rack up state titles in every other sport and their Catholic school counterparts excel in hoops and compete for region/state titles. Why can’t ST X…..ever?

They have a lot of young talent where they should be very good in two years since they are playing several sophomores and freshman but for whatever reason up until now they didn't get a lot of talent like other schools. They would always have winning seasons but being in tough region just haven't made it out of tourney although they have played teams close.

I think it was 4 or 5 years ago St. X lost to Trinity in the Regional Final in a double OT game. Had beaten Trinity a couple of times during the regular season, just couldn't finish during the regional tournament. Basketball does feel to be taking the next step with the younger plays in the program, but over the last 20 or so years hasn't produced much.  

• Like 1