Breathitt County 64 Hazard 58 (All A Region Championship)

Breathitt County has the talent and depth to do well at EKU. Collins kid is 6’7, Hoskins, who is also a tight end on the football team, is 6’5. Turner, the QB on their football team, is 6’4. They also have good guard play. Most of these players return next season. They are young and sometimes play like it, but when the Bobcats are clicking they are very efficient. 
Today’s game against Hazard got physical and a little wild, with a lot of turnovers both ways, but Breathitt was able to hang on to win.
Although the Bobcats will enjoy their trip to Richmond and all the festivities what they really have their focus on is to win the KHSAA regional tournament in late February. The Bobcats, who were a regional powerhouse back in the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s, haven’t been to the March state tournament since 1995. That’s a long wait for a proud tradition rich program. 
I’m not from Breathitt but live in the county just to their west. But I know a lot of the people there and several of their players. Quite a few Breathitt Countians play golf on our local course, so I see them throughout the golf weather months and I know they are excited over this 14-2 team.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, The Professor said:

Breathitt County has the talent and depth to do well at EKU. Collins kid is 6’7, Hoskins, who is also a tight end on the football team, is 6’5. Turner, the QB on their football team, is 6’4. They also have good guard play. Most of these players return next season. They are young and sometimes play like it, but when the Bobcats are clicking they are very efficient. 
Today’s game against Hazard got physical and a little wild, with a lot of turnovers both ways, but Breathitt was able to hang on to win.
Although the Bobcats will enjoy their trip to Richmond and all the festivities what they really have their focus on is to win the KHSAA regional tournament in late February. The Bobcats, who were a regional powerhouse back in the ‘50s, ‘60s and ‘70s, haven’t been to the March state tournament since 1995. That’s a long wait for a proud tradition rich program. 
I’m not from Breathitt but live in the county just to their west. But I know a lot of the people there and several of their players. Quite a few Breathitt Countians play golf on our local course, so I see them throughout the golf weather months and I know they are excited over this 14-2 team.

Thanks @The Professor for keeping us informed of Mountain Region Basketball! It's interesting to keep up with what's happening down your way. 👍

• Thanks 1

• theguru changed the title to Breathitt County 64 Hazard 58 (All A Region Championship)
6 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Thanks @The Professor for keeping us informed of Mountain Region Basketball! It's interesting to keep up with what's happening down your way. 👍

Thanks B-Ball-fan!

High School basketball has always been big in the mountain counties and the regions have a rich history in the sport. However, most of the counties have lost huge amounts of population in the last 40 years. For instance, when I was a high schooler in the early 1970s Breathitt County High had an enrollment of 1100. Now they are down to less than 650. Same thing in Knott County. When they consolidated old Knott County High, Carr Creek and Hindman in 1975 their enrollment was around 1200. Now they’re also down to about 650 or less. It’s the same in Harlan County, Perry, Floyd, etc. That has had an impact but the sport still thrives and is very popular. And these small communities are hugely loyal to their kids. You won’t find a more loyal fan bases anywhere than places like Breathitt County, Buckhorn or Wolfe County. And the new streaming services have given access to many people, such as elder citizens, to be able to keep up with their home teams from the comfort of their living rooms. 

I guarantee that Breathitt Countians will be out in force to watch their beloved Bobcats at EKU. It’s just the way it is with mountain folk. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, The Professor said:

Thanks B-Ball-fan!

High School basketball has always been big in the mountain counties and the regions have a rich history in the sport. However, most of the counties have lost huge amounts of population in the last 40 years. For instance, when I was a high schooler in the early 1970s Breathitt County High had an enrollment of 1100. Now they are down to less than 650. Same thing in Knott County. When they consolidated old Knott County High, Carr Creek and Hindman in 1975 their enrollment was around 1200. Now they’re also down to about 650 or less. It’s the same in Harlan County, Perry, Floyd, etc. That has had an impact but the sport still thrives and is very popular. And these small communities are hugely loyal to their kids. You won’t find a more loyal fan bases anywhere than places like Breathitt County, Buckhorn or Wolfe County. And the new streaming services have given access to many people, such as elder citizens, to be able to keep up with their home teams from the comfort of their living rooms. 

I guarantee that Breathitt Countians will be out in force to watch their beloved Bobcats at EKU. It’s just the way it is with mountain folk. 

One of my college roommates back in the day was from a tiny wide spot in the road called Omaha in Knott County.   I once played in a pickup basketball game with him in (I think, it’s even a long time) the Upper Carr Community Center.   

Being 500 miles from home at Morehead and without a car, I spent many a weekend in eastern Kentucky with friends and acquaintances. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mcpapa said:

And off the subject, who else is up at this hour of the night?

Oh, yeah. The “sleep is overrated” Professor. 

I fell asleep on the recliner earlier while watching a movie and by the time I decided to go to bed I couldn’t fall asleep. 😄