BluegrassPreps.com 10th Region Basketball Week 4 Review & Rankings

10th Region Week 4 Basketball Review & Rankings

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone! We are now about 1/3 of the way through the season and it is flying by! There were plenty of great tournaments this Weekend and Many of the 10th Region Teams Competed in them. Overall, this week the 10th Region went 13-16, and competed in tournaments that included the King of the Bluegrass, Pikeville Invitational, Swauger Holiday Classic, Scott Winter Classic, and the Smoky Mountain Classic. This weekend includes plenty more holiday tournaments including the Mason County Invitational, White Greer & Maggard Holiday Classic, Nicholas County Holiday Classic, Gateway Holiday Classic, Henry County Invitational, Monticello Bank Classic, and the Howard Carpenter Classic. There should be plenty of teams tested this weekend as I do my best to evaluate every team around the region. Also I have included an overview for the All A classic that is only a couple weeks away.

Rankings (Record, Change in Ranking)

Commentary Below

1.      George Rogers Clark (8-1, -)

2.      Mason County (8-2, -)

3.      Campbell County (4-6, -)

4.      Bracken County (7-4, +1)

5.      Harrison County (4-4, -1)

6.      Augusta (7-4, +1)

7.      Scott (1-9, -1)

8.      Bishop Brossart (4-7, -)

9.      Montgomery County (3-5, -)

10.   Robertson County (6-4, +1)

11.   Calvary Christian (7-4, -1)

12.   Bourbon County (1-5, -)

13.   Paris (2-7, -)

14.   Pendleton (1-9, -)

15.   Nicholas (1-8, -)

16.   St. Patrick (2-8, -)

Weekly Commentary

I do feel like I am now getting a better feel of how teams stack up with each but there are still a few teams I have questions about. Clark County has been as good as advertised as they have proven to be a Top 5 State Contender. Mason County is a good team as they spread the floor with plenty of long-range shooters while also having an inside presence in Terrell Henry. Although Mason has shown they are the second-best team in the region they have also shown they are very beatable if you catch them on an off night. Campbell County has battled It out with some of the best in the 9th Region and they have been roughed up quite a bit, but they have shown they can compete with that second tier of teams in the 9th. Bracken County has been a pleasant surprise to many this season as they have jumped up all the way to the number 4. I believed they could crack the top 5 or 6 but so far this season you really could make a case that they deserve a top 3 ranking in the region. I would describe their strength of schedule so far as Mediocre but don’t worry folks they are about to have plenty of tests in the upcoming weeks as they take on the likes of South Laurel & Shawnee who have played well so far this season. After that they get 4 Solid Regional Opponents in a row with Montgomery, Campbell, Scott, and then Augusta in the ALL A, it really will be a fun couple of weeks for bracken and they will really be challenged. Harrison County gets bounced down a spot as they didn’t play this past week and they only have 1 game from December 20th to January 10th, I am assuming they will be working hard at practice during the next couple of weeks. I am curious to see how different they look when they get back into the full swing of things in mid-January. Augusta is one of the teams in the region that can beat some very good teams as they proved that with a two-point win against Tates Creek this week. I do believe they can be beat by a lot of teams around the region as well though. Scott High continues to lose against tough teams as they went 0 and 3 this week and move to 1-9 on the year. I might have them a little high because their resume is not impressive to say the least, but we should have a better gauge as they face a couple 10th region teams in the upcoming weeks. From Bishop Brossart to Bourbon County, I think we could rank these teams in any way you see fit. Robertson has looked better recently, and I am sure they will continue to improve as other than Justin Becker the rest of their team is very inexperienced. St. Patrick got their second win of the season as they won back-to-back games for the first time in a long time. They face Paris and Nicholas this week and if they get one of those games they could move out of that 16th spot hole that they have been in for a while.

All “A” Classic Coming Soon

The 10th Region All “A” tournament begins on January 7th and it should be a good one. This year the tournament will be held at Bracken County. The Winner of the Bracken County/Augusta game should be the favorite to win it all but look for Bishop Brossart, and the Winner of the Robertson/Calvary game to make it a very competitive tournament. I think the Winner of the Bracken & Augusta game probably has a 50% chance to win the whole tournament. It should be fun as some of the top players around the region will be in action with Justin Becker, Blake Reed, Riley Mastin, Kason Hinson, David Govan, and plenty of others will be in action. I am not sure who my pick will be, right now I think Bishop Brossart is a dark horse and could take it home with a couple upsets in the tournament. Who do you all think will win the ALL A in the 10th?

Top Games/Predictions this Upcoming Week

Monday December 27th

GRC vs Woodford/Henry Clay

Robertson Co vs Harlan, Harlan by 12. Robertson finally faces some solid competition; we will see if they will be up to the task.

Bourbon Co vs Tates Creek, Tates Creek by 18. Will be tough for bourbon to win this game with all the pressure creek puts on ball handlers

Tuesday December 28th

Mason County vs Perry County Central, Perry County by 8. Could go either way Perry County Central has one loss and is currently one of the top teams in the state based on RPI Rankings

Bracken Co vs South Laurel, South Laurel by 10

Harrison vs Iroquois, Harrison by 4

Augusta vs Bryan Station, Augusta by 8

Scott vs Calvary Christian, Scott by 10. A big 10th Region matchup should help us better gauge where Scott and Calvary should be ranked around the region.

Paris vs St. Patrick, Paris by 18

Wednesday December 29th

Bracken Co. vs Shawnee, Bracken by 12

Bourbon Co. vs Bullitt Central, Bullitt Central by 8

Thursday December 30th

Montgomery vs Bracken Co, Bracken by 4. I am very curious to see how this game goes as I believe Montgomery is more than capable of knocking of the 4th Ranked Polar Bears, but we will have to play the game to find out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You’re doing a great job week by week. Look forward to reading your rankings and predictions. Augusta was able to pick up that win against Tates Creek w/out big man Riley Mastin who’s been resting his sore shoulder.  If available he’ll be back on the floor on Tuesday vs. Bryan Station. If not, he’ll likely be out until January 8th’s All A clash with Bracken County. 

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to BluegrassPreps.com 10th Region Basketball Week 4 Review & Rankings
On 12/26/2021 at 7:28 AM, Quagmire said:

You’re doing a great job week by week. Look forward to reading your rankings and predictions. Augusta was able to pick up that win against Tates Creek w/out big man Riley Mastin who’s been resting his sore shoulder.  If available he’ll be back on the floor on Tuesday vs. Bryan Station. If not, he’ll likely be out until January 8th’s All A clash with Bracken County. 

1 hour ago, mcpapa said:

Always tough to draw a bead on Scott as they generally play fewer 10th squads than just about anyone in the region. 

Nice summary!

I agree guys, @10thRegionballislife is doing an excellent job!

• Like 2