Lady Knights Challenge Cup - 2021, Preview/Updates

I thought I would spread my wings and create a thread for what is probably the best State Wide tournament that is done during the regular season.  This tournament is the equivalent to the Champions Classic in college basketball, with the exception that this is in the middle of the season.  We have 8 of the top 20 teams in the Maher Rankings traveling to Lexington to go head to head with one another.  

I will give a little preview for each team below (all rankings quoted are from the Maher Rankings just published yesterday).

#1 NDA (12-0) out of the 9th Region

• Quality wins against:  #4 South Oldham 3-0, #5 Highlands 3-0, #8 Dixie 6-0, #14 Simon Kenton 3-1, #18 Cooper 5-0, #24 Conner 6-0
  • Quality loses against:  NONE, they are undefeated

#2 SACRED HEART (13-0-1) out of the 7th Region

• Quality wins against:  #3 Lex Cath 1-0, #11 Manual 2-0, #12 Greenwood 4-1, #13 Marshall Co 2-0, #22 Bardstown 4-0, #24 Conner 4-0
  • Quality loses against:  None, haven’t lost a gain

#3 LEX CATH (11-2) out of the 11th Region

• Quality wins against:  #6 Assumption 2-1, #7 Bethlehem 3-0, #8 Dixie 3-2, #20 Dunbar 4-0, #25 West Jess 3-1
  • Quality loses against:  #2 Sacred Heart 0-1, #4 South Oldham 2-4

#5 HIGHLANDS (6-2) out of the 9th Region

• Quality wins against:  #6 Assumption 4-2, #9 Lafayette 2-1, #17 Campbell County 5-2
  • Quality loses against:  #1 NDA 0-3

#6 ASSUMPTION (7-3-1) out of the 7th Region

• Quality wins against:  #11 Manual 4-1, #22 Bardstown 6-0
  • Quality loses/tie against:  #7 Bethlehem 2-2, #3 Lex Cath 1-2, #5 Highlands 2-4

#11 Manual (4-3) out of the 7th Region

• Quality wins against:  #15 Ballard 7-4
  • Quality loses against:  #2 Sacred Heart 0-2, #4 South Oldham 0-1, #6 Assumption 1-4

#14 Simon Kenton (4-5-1) out of the 8th Region

• Quality wins against:  #8 Dixie 2-1
  • Quality loses against:  #1 NDA 1-3, #4 South Oldham 1-3, #17 Campbell County 2-3, #18 Cooper 0-1

#20 Dunbar (5-4) out of the 11th Region

• Quality wins against:  #8 Dixie 4-3
  • Quality loses against:  #3 Lex Cath 0-4, #4 South Oldham 0-3, #7 Bethlehem 0-3, #9 Lafayette 0-3

As you can see we have some really really good teams in this group of schools to go against each other.  Not one of these schools has a lose against a team outside of the Maher Top 25 Rankings.

The great thing about this setup is that ALL the teams are guaranteed 3 games this week, with 2 games played each night from Mon - Thursday, a day of rest on Fri to watch High School football and then a full slate of games (FOUR) on Saturday!  We are in for a fun long week!

Here is the lineup for tonight:

#6 Assumption vs #14 Simon Kenton, 6pm

#3 Lex Cath vs #5 Highlands, 8pm

Do we have any members from Lexington or Louisville wanting to weigh in on Lex Cath or Assumption???

I see that Prepspin is going to Live stream the Lex Cath vs Highlands game.  I am not sure about the Assumption vs Simon Kenton game.  If anybody is in the know about Prepspins intentions for the games this week that would be great to know.

If someone more tech savvy than me wants to post the bracket that would be great!

• Thanks 2

• theguru changed the title to Lady Knights Challenge Cup - 2021, Preview/Updates

From the Sports Desk:

O what a night!  It didn’t disappoint us soccer junkies.  2 very highly contested games were played.  

The first game started at 6pm with Assumption going against Simon Kenton.  I didn’t have much faith in SK doing much in this game so I was happily surprised NKY represented well in the 1st half with it being still 0-0 at Halftime.  Unfortunately the luck would run out for SK 10 min into the half with Assumption getting one into the back of the net.  That is all that was needed in the game.  Final score Assumption wins 1-0.

The Premier game of the evening was a rematch between Highlands and Lex Cath from the first round of the State Tournament last year.  The first half was a battle in the middle with both teams having only 2 or 3 good looks at the goal to no avail!

The second half it seemed like it was all Highlands on the attacks with FINALLY Soph Claire Cavacini battling in the box and putting it in for the first goal of the game 10 min into the half.

The second Highlands goal was again another dynamic Soph Laney Smith literally danced with the ball thru it felt like 3 defenders in the box to finally find a slight opening to sneak one into the back of the net.

You know what they say is the worst score in a soccer game?  2-0!  Well it felt like it…..Lex Cath pressed hard getting some nice attacks towards Highlands goal.  You just felt it in the air that they were going to get one but will there be time to get 2.

Lex Cath was awarded a free kick 30 yards out and they put it into the box for a Lex Cath player to put a head on it and find the back of the net.  I believe there was maybe 4 min remaining……let me tell you it was a LONG 4 min!!!

Luckily Highlands back line was able to thwart any other promising attack for those 4 min, horn blew and we had a final.  Highlands holds on for dear life with a 2-1 VICTORY!!!

I believe for the first time this season Highlands went with Meg Gessner in goal the whole game!  Job well done Meg!  I am sure that felt good for her to get the win as keeper since she was the keeper in the game last year.

• Like 1

I don’t know how you match the excitement of the games from last night but I think the Challenge Cup has done just that.

The undercard match @ 6pm

#11 Manual vs #20 Dunbar

• We have 2 teams that are only 1 game over .500, granted all of their losses are against Top 10 Ky Maher Ranked teams. I see this being a very evenly matched game.  

The “Prime Time Event” what everyone in soccer world was hoping to see.  #1 vs #2. @ 8pm

#1 NDA vs #2 Sacred Heart

• I don’t know if the tournament just wanted to MAKE sure this match up happened so they pit these 2 against each other in the 1st Rd or what.  They didn’t want to “hope” that this is what happens on Sat.  Depending on the Region draw in the State Soccer tournament we might be seeing a prelude to the State Finals right here.  We have 2 ELITE programs for the last 20 years going at it, playing potentially their best soccer ever.  NDA comes in potentially with their best team EVER which is saying something b/c they have had ELITE teams before.  Sacred Heart isn’t doing to bad themselves mowing over teams with high scoring flair.

Tale of the Tape

NDA 12-0 record, 42 goals scored, 2 goals against, 10 clean sheet shutouts!

Sacred Heart 13-0-1 record, 63 goals scored, 6 goals against, 11 clean sheet shutouts!

Nothing bigger than this ladies and gentlemen.  

O by the way, BOTH programs are under new Head Coaches!  Crazy to think this is their rookie season leading these teams to such high success right off the bat.

PLEASE TELL ME THAT PREPSPIN IS STREAMING THIS GAME!!!!

Good luck to both!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Curious to get detailed feedback on how this "prime time" match up looked on Prepspin. 

From the field, Sacred Heart came out strong with as expected big time effort.  They showed a solid and effective possession game for the first 15 minutes or so, but kept running into the solid Panda backline.  Sacred Heart created a few corners, but never really got off clean looks or generated big time offensive threats.  Then, as they have done all year, the Pandas turn the ball back around to go on the attack.  In what seemed to be a good midfield battle, turned into 1-0 then 2-0. 

In the second half, it seemed fairly one sided.  At a general level NDA looked bigger, faster, and wore Sacred Heart down. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

While not at the level of the 2nd game - the Dunbar/Manual match up was a good game.

Soph striker Amelia Jones scored in the 7th minute to put Manual up 1-0.  Manual dominated the possession in the first half and outshot the Bulldogs 8-2

However, the second half was much more even.  Dunbar created many chances in the second half and seemed to wear down the Manual midfield as the game wore on.  Both goalies (Fr. Morgan White for Man - So. Amber Brandon for PLD) made some great plays, and kept the final score at 1-0

Both of these teams will have their hands full Thursday....but you never know - that's the beauty of soccer!

• Thanks 1

I love the input from both @Big Red and @Chopper6!!!  

As far as the second game synopsis on the “Battle Royale” as twitter put it.  I felt like it was more of a 1990’s typical Tyson fight.  NDA came out swinging and Sacred Heart just didn’t have an answer!  Not once did I see Sacred Heart ever get a decent run for a potential strike.  The ONLY chances Sacred Heart had the whole game was the handful of corner kicks.  KUDOS to NDA’s back line.  They are legit…and they have the whole package in my opinion:  Calm, Focused, Disciplined to stay on the back line.  DIdn’t see many runners coming up from that back line.  The passes were clean and crisp.  The added bonus they ALL had nice strength to blast the ball over the top to the front line and really nice and long throw ins!

On the flip side Sacred Heart made NDAs back line look even better b/c they were fine with not pressing them when NDA was playing keep away with the ball back there.  Every time I saw a potential forward pass to Sacred Heart front line the NDA back line was 10 years more to stop the attack.

For what it’s worth for any future opponent against NDA here is what I would say BE READY ON THEIR SET PIECES!!!  2 of NDA’s goals came from their corner kicks, a header in the box and then the banana run that the corner kicker made for the give and go sweet long shot from downtown.

The first 2 goals were just Sacred Heart being super UNLUCKY!  First goal literally ricocheted off the far post and BARELY rolled past the goal line.  Second goal was a mistimed dive by the goalie who got her fingertips on the ball but it bounced out of her possession for a waiting NDA attacker linking her chops for the easy put in.

I don’t know if I am more impressed with NDA or disappointed with the display of #2 Sacred Heart. They didn’t look like a team that is had already 63 goals scored in 14 games.  Maybe we have a Sacred Heart member on BGP that can weigh in with their 2 cents.  Were you missing some offensive talent?  Or just had a bad game?

In the sports world there is a term that is used many many times for nights like this.  The word is “Trap Game”.  On paper you see exactly what is supposed to happen but WILL IT??  I know most people would think I am only speaking to the Highlands game tonight but I think Lex Cath also is jumping at the bit to have a rematch against a bitter rival in Sacred Heart, which might happen if all goes as planned.

Problem is there are 2 teams that will try to spoil the Saturday fun that people would expect.

Tonight will be interesting if we see the maturity in Highlands and Lex Cath come out to make sure all those girls on each of these teams FOCUSES ON TONIGHT and TONIGHT ONLY!

The lineup on the game times are as such:

LEX CATH vs SIMON KENTON, 6PM

• I think Simon Kenton is trying to tell their girls we beat Dixie 2-1, Dixie barely lost to Lex Cath 3-2 in the final minutes……We have a chance.

HIGHLANDS vs ASSUMPTION, 8PM

• This is a rematch of the 2nd game of the season for Highlands who beat Assumption 4-2 at their house.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

LAST NIGHT UPDATE:

Well Lexington Catholic and Highlands didn’t let their respective “trap games” surprise them.  

Lexington Catholic beats Simon Kenton, 5-1

• Lex Cath hits a back to back goal 9 and 10 min into the game to go up 2-0 just like that.  That is how it stayed until Halftime.  Unfortunately, everything had to shut down for a bit due to lightning.  Lex Cath comes out again hot and scored their 3rd goal 10 min into 2nd half.  SK finally got on the scoreboard with 26 min to go to make it 3-1.  Lex Cath would put 2 more at the end to make the final 5-1.

Highlands repeats their earlier win against Assumption but this time shuts them out winning 3-0.

• For the first few minutes it looked like the Birds were trying to wake up.  It was a very shaky start offensively to get things going.  Finally after 10-15 min you felt like they were controlling the ball much better making some good runs.  11 min into the game Soph Laney Smith got a window to strike the ball into the back of the net for the first goal of the night.  A few min later was a free kick probably 30 yards out that Jade Rehberger teed up and nailed the top crossbar it bounced on the field and then had some wicked English back into play.  If it wasn’t for a solid positioning by the AR I think everyone would have thought it didn’t break the plane of the goal for a score, BUT the AR raised his flag and sprinted up the line to signal that it sure did break the plane before spinning out into play.  Highlands 2-0.  The rest of the half was a mid field battle, which included a yellow card to Faith Broering for a slide tackle from behind.  Halftime 2-0.  Second half was just a grind it out battle.  There were some good runs by both teams.  With around 15 or 20 min left Gessner (who has played every min of this tourney) slid to cover up a ball and in doing so got some Assumption knees into the body.  This made her exit the field under her own power but Haley Parks had to come in to finish the game.  Around 11 min to go, Soph Laney Smith put the icing on the “CAKE” with a spectacular run into the box around a few defenders and then finding an opening once again to put the ball into the back of the net.  And that folks is how it ended 3-0!!!

Exhausting to say the least…..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Night Recap:

To be honest I thought both of these games tonight were going to be boring blowouts.  For the first 120 minutes of soccer I was mistaken.

In the first game between Sacred Heart vs. Dunbar it took all the way until 5:30 left in the game for Sacred Heart to capitalize on a corner kick to finally get on the board and that was all that was needed.  They come away with the nail biter win 1-0.

In the second game Manual put up a fight until 10 min to go in the 1st half before they let the Pandas score their first goal.  NDA put one more in before halftime to make it 2-0.  After Halftime is when it finally became really really ugly.  NDA was scoring at will and flexing their muscle.  Goal after goal after goal, with the final outcome ending as a 7-0 victory for your #1 team in KY NDA Pandas.

• Like 1

WELL, WE MEET AGAIN!!!!

What's your favorite Trilogy?  Star Wars original set, Die Hard, Back to the Future?  We might be in store for an interesting trilogy to this High School soccer season (for the record I DO NOT COUNT SOCCERAMA!)  Here is something interesting, if anyone can confirm this but it looks to me that Lex Cath and Sacred Heart have decided to bail on having a rematch tomorrow in the tournament. 

Therefore we only have 3 games on tap for tomorrow.

HERE IS THE RUN DOWN:

#14 SIMON KENTON vs #20 DUNBAR, 1PM

• I was really impressed with Dunbar hanging in there vs #2 Sacred Heart.  Simon Kenton just doesn't seem to have their regular mojo this year for some reason.  Don't know if they just lost a lot of talent and are young, hurt or what, but they seem really off this season.

#6 ASSUMPTION vs #11 MANUAL, 3PM

• I am sure there is some friendly Louisville rivalry within this group of players.  This is a rematch from an earlier game already in the season where Assumption won 4-1.  Based on how Manual played against Dunbar and at least for almost a half against NDA maybe they are up to the challenge to make this a close game.

#1 NDA vs #5 HIGHLANDS, 5PM  "WORLD WAR 2"

For anyone that has been hiding under a rock this might be the biggest High School Rivalry in the state of Kentucky for the last 20 years!  

NDA quickly got bragging rights this season with a 3-0 win at Highlands home in Fort Thomas back on Aug 30th.

Can the Birds with the offensive talent of Soph Laney Smith finally break thru the Iron Curtain of Pandas??  Or will the staunch defense of the Pandas lockdown another clean sheet performance. The only goal scored off the foot of another team was a break away that Simon Kenton was able to accomplish on a quick counter.  Other than that NOTHING!!!!!!

DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE is going to be the key to success for the Birds tomorrow.  No mental mistakes.  Always on your toes ESPECIALLY on set pieces.  I have said it multiple times NDA is LETHAL on set pieces!!! 

Here is the question I am sure those fans in Park Hills are asking "Why do you think you can expect a different result tomorrow?"

Here are my 2 quick reasons why I have biased hope:

1. My gut tells me Meg Gessner will play the whole game, unless something happens to her physically.  If I did my math right (and memory is right) out of the 14 goals scored against Highlands Gessner has only allowed 3 of those.

2. The Birds backline is SO MUCH better than last time they played NDA with the return of Senior Macy Hedenberg.  With Macy and Jade Rehberger holding down the fort in the 2 Center Back positions our defense just improved IMMENSELY from World War 1.

Whatever happens tomorrow the CRAZY thing is we probably will see one another ONE MORE TIME in October when the stakes are at the HIGHEST, you win you move on you lose you go home.  Until then I am going to sit back and enjoy the show.  I hope you all do as well!  GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

WELL, WE MEET AGAIN!!!!

What's your favorite Trilogy?  Star Wars original set, Die Hard, Back to the Future?  We might be in store for an interesting trilogy to this High School soccer season (for the record I DO NOT COUNT SOCCERAMA!)  Here is something interesting, if anyone can confirm this but it looks to me that Lex Cath and Sacred Heart have decided to bail on having a rematch tomorrow in the tournament. 

HERE IS THE RUN DOWN:

• I was really impressed with Dunbar hanging in there vs #2 Sacred Heart.  Simon Kenton just doesn't seem to have their regular mojo this year for some reason.  Don't know if they just lost a lot of talent and are young, hurt or what, but they seem really off this season.

• I am sure there is some friendly Louisville rivalry within this group of players.  This is a rematch from an earlier game already in the season where Assumption won 4-1.  Based on how Manual played against Dunbar and at least for almost a half against NDA maybe they are up to the challenge to make this a close game.

For anyone that has been hiding under a rock this might be the biggest High School Rivalry in the state of Kentucky for the last 20 years!  

NDA quickly got bragging rights this season with a 3-0 win at Highlands home in Fort Thomas back on Aug 30th.

Can the Birds with the offensive talent of Soph Laney Smith finally break thru the Iron Curtain of Pandas??  Or will the staunch defense of the Pandas lockdown another clean sheet performance. The only goal scored off the foot of another team was a break away that Simon Kenton was able to accomplish on a quick counter.  Other than that NOTHING!!!!!!

DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE, DISCIPLINE is going to be the key to success for the Birds tomorrow.  No mental mistakes.  Always on your toes ESPECIALLY on set pieces.  I have said it multiple times NDA is LETHAL on set pieces!!! 

Here is the question I am sure those fans in Park Hills are asking "Why do you think you can expect a different result tomorrow?"

1. My gut tells me Meg Gessner will play the whole game, unless something happens to her physically.  If I did my math right (and memory is right) out of the 14 goals scored against Highlands Gessner has only allowed 3 of those.

2. The Birds backline is SO MUCH better than last time they played NDA with the return of Senior Macy Hedenberg.  With Macy and Jade Rehberger holding down the fort in the 2 Center Back positions our defense just improved IMMENSELY from World War 1.

Whatever happens tomorrow the CRAZY thing is we probably will see one another ONE MORE TIME in October when the stakes are at the HIGHEST, you win you move on you lose you go home.  Until then I am going to sit back and enjoy the show.  I hope you all do as well!  GOOD LUCK!

FACT CHECK CORRECTION: Meg Gessner has ONLY allowed 2 goals this season (1 to NDA & 1 to Lex Cath). 

GO BIRDS!!!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, FrankNicodemus said:

WELL, WE MEET AGAIN!!!!

HERE IS THE RUN DOWN:

Thank you for the content.  Should be an exciting game.