Johnson Central 42 Cahokia (IL) 36 (OT)

GOREDDEVILS

7 hours ago, theguru said:

Wow, any details?

And where is this team ranked in IL?

A few notes:

Cahokia has an enrollment of 769 students per the IHSA (https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/School-Directory?url=/data/school/c.htm). Assuming half are boys, that would mean a male enrollment of 385. That puts their enrollment very close to Elizabethtown and Franklin-Simpson in Kentucky, so they would be right on the fence of 3A/4A in our classification.

Illinois doesn't sort their teams until the playoffs (a novel idea that I proposed for Kentucky on this site and to the KHSAA a couple of years ago without luck), so looking at Calpreps, you only see the rankings of all schools combined, not by class. Under that system, they were rated 88th in Illinois (out of 529 teams). Their Calpreps computer ranking puts them on par with the likes of Lawrence County and Mercer County in Kentucky, two of the best teams in Class 3A.

I'd rate this as a solid win for Johnson Central, with a few bonus points added in because of the emotional roller-coaster I'm sure they've been on this week.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

A few notes:

Cahokia has an enrollment of 769 students per the IHSA (https://www.ihsa.org/Schools/School-Directory?url=/data/school/c.htm). Assuming half are boys, that would mean a male enrollment of 385. That puts their enrollment very close to Elizabethtown and Franklin-Simpson in Kentucky, so they would be right on the fence of 3A/4A in our classification.

Illinois doesn't sort their teams until the playoffs (a novel idea that I proposed for Kentucky on this site and to the KHSAA a couple of years ago without luck), so looking at Calpreps, you only see the rankings of all schools combined, not by class. Under that system, they were rated 88th in Illinois (out of 529 teams). Their Calpreps computer ranking puts them on par with the likes of Lawrence County and Mercer County in Kentucky, two of the best teams in Class 3A.

I'd rate this as a solid win for Johnson Central, with a few bonus points added in because of the emotional roller-coaster I'm sure they've been on this week.

The state Ap poll showed that Cahokia had 2 votes for the top 10 in class 4A In Illinois on the September 9th poll.

6 minutes ago, GOREDDEVILS said:

The state Ap poll showed that Cahokia had 2 votes for the top 10 in class 4A In Illinois on the September 9th poll.

Yeah, in Illinois they aren’t official. The AP classes and ranks them based on their enrollment, but teams aren’t officially put in a class until the postseason starts (teams have to qualify and then they’re grouped on enrollments of who qualifies).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1