Cincinnati Dragons 55 Atlanta Hawks 50 (OT) Varsity Wheelchair Basketball National Championship

• cincydragons changed the title to Cincinnati Dragons 55 Atlanta Hawks 50 (OT) Varsity Wheelchair Basketball National Championship
  • theguru featured this topic

GAME RECAP

The Dragons started the game on a 12-0 run but Atlanta quickly answered back with 8 straight points.  Dragons held onto a 6 point lead at halftime.  Dragons scored 6 straight points to start the 2nd half but Atlanta goes on a run and eventually takes their first lead with about 10 minutes left.  Back and forth the last few minutes.  Both teams have unsuccessful opportunities to take the lead in the last minute.  Dragons win the tip in overtime and hit a 3-pointer on first possession, start overtime with a 7-0 run and hold on to the 55-50 victory.  The Dragons finish the season with an undefeated 28-0 record and win their first national championship.

Congrats to Alex Hilgeford (Beavercreek OH) for winning tournament MVP, Gabe Taylor (Augusta KY) for winning championship game MVP and making 1st team all-tournament and Kerwin Haake (Lexington KY) for being named 2nd team all-tournament.

Super proud of this group!  Their national tournament was canceled last year and we weren't sure if we would have a season this year.  But these kids went to work.  We started conditioning last June pushing 5-6 miles in 95 degree heat on outdoor trails, practiced on outdoor courts until we could get back in the gym and followed every Covid protocol/guideline without any complaining.  Now they are national champions!!

Dragons champs cup.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Wow! That is awesome! In OT!!!

Great job bringing a championship title to Cincinnati!

Is this game on youtube or elsewhere available for viewing?

I am interested in watching some of the game too.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Wow! That is awesome! In OT!!!

Great job bringing a championship title to Cincinnati!

Is this game on youtube or elsewhere available for viewing?

49 minutes ago, theguru said:

I am interested in watching some of the game too.

First half https://www.facebook.com/NWBA70/videos/201760638505170

Second half and awards ceremony https://www.facebook.com/NWBA70/videos/3356924901076689

• Thanks 2

Thanks cds.

Maybe you have explained it before but could you explain to me (everyone) how the dribbling rules work?  I want to make sure I understand everything I am seeing.  Anything else I/we need to know?

Thanks!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, theguru said:

Thanks cds.

Maybe you have explained it before but could you explain to me (everyone) how the dribbling rules work?  I want to make sure I understand everything I am seeing.  Anything else I/we need to know?

Thanks!

So in able-bodied basketball once I take 1 step I have to dribble.  In wheelchair basketball every time I touch my wheels twice (whether to push forward or just to turn/readjust) I have to dribble or else it's traveling.  So if I push really hard when it's possible to go maybe 30-40 feet without having to dribble again.  But in wheelchair basketball you can dribble, pick the ball up and then start dribbling again - there is no such thing as double-dribbling in wheelchair basketball.  

During Covid, one of our players made some instructional videos at home about wheelchair basketball.  Here's the one about dribbling -https://www.facebook.com/599473520169082/videos/2608763999445431.

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

So in able-bodied basketball once I take 1 step I have to dribble.  In wheelchair basketball every time I touch my wheels twice (whether to push forward or just to turn/readjust) I have to dribble or else it's traveling.  So if I push really hard when it's possible to go maybe 30-40 feet without having to dribble again.  But in wheelchair basketball you can dribble, pick the ball up and then start dribbling again - there is no such thing as double-dribbling in wheelchair basketball.  

During Covid, one of our players made some instructional videos at home about wheelchair basketball.  Here's the one about dribbling -https://www.facebook.com/599473520169082/videos/2608763999445431.

Thank you!  That is exactly what I was looking for to understand the game. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, theguru said:

Thank you!  That is exactly what I was looking for to understand the game. 

You need to come out and watch us play in person some time.  Hopefully we'll be hosting a tournament in the fall.

• Like 1