BluegrassPreps Class 3A Football Rankings (9/21) - Discussion

TheDeuce

Class 3A

Another week of exciting football unfortunately left more questions than answers in Class 3A. Top-ranked Belfry fell to county rival Pikeville, the #1 team in Class 1A, 20-14. The loss was enough to push the Pirates from the top perch as they are replaced by DeSales. Quarterback Jayden Scroggins passed for one touchdown and ran for three as the Colts romped over Cooper, 42-14. Third place Christian Academy of Louisville stayed put despite taking a thumping from 4A power Boyle County. CAL was competitive for much of the first three quarters before succumbing late. Fourth ranked Bell County picked up their first win of the season defeating Whitley County 20-7. It wasn't enough, however, to push the Bobcats into the top three. Russell and Elizabethtown both made it two wins in two outings this week and maintained a hold on their respective spots, while seventh ranked Ashland has still yet to play due to Covid restrictions but will return to action this week. This weeks biggest mover is Bardstown, who continue to impress, this time rolling Spencer County 49-7 and jumping from the tenth position to number eight. Glasgow topped district foe Hart County while Paducah Tilghman picked up their first win, easily besting Calloway County, 41-14.

Week Three is rather ho-hum in Class 3A, but games to keep an eye on include Christian Academy-Louisville at Mercer County and Bardstown at Larue County. Depending on the results, one or both could result in a reshuffling of the Class 3A deck. The best games involving out of class opponents include Ashland at Bourbon County, where the untested (and unplayed) Tomcats look to prove a late start doesn't hurt their championship chances. Meanwhile, Glasgow travels to Class 5A stalwart South Warren in hopes of garnering a huge south central Kentucky victory.

1. DeSales at Henry County (9/26)

2. Belfry at Magoffin County

3. Christian Academy-Louisville at Mercer County

4. Bell County vs. McCreary Central

5. Russell at Fleming County

6. Elizabethtown vs. Nelson County

7. Ashland at 4A Bourbon County

8. Bardstown at Larue County

9. Glasgow at 5A #5 South Warren

10. Paducah Tilghman vs. Trigg County

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, PTHSalumni said:

Ya'll need to keep an eye on Tilghman's freshman running backs. They seem to be pretty good so far. Long way to go though. Hopefully they can stay healthy and bring PT back to the promised land.

I think everyone feels pretty good about 1-6 (and probably 7, although Ashland hasn’t played). From 8-12 there’s any number of teams that might eventually make the list. Tilghman may have been overrated to start with, but they have lots of young talent, so I feel confident their original ranking could be spot on come November. 

3 minutes ago, rocksdad said:

where did Taylor county go?  they lost by 6 to a quality Mercer team away from home. they drop completely out. They also outplayed Mercer in the second half (i know that doesn't matter)

I think there are questions about Taylor County. The iffy showing against Green followed by a loss to a team that was routed the week before might have made some question if Taylor should have been that high to begin with. I’ve got Taylor about 11th right now and I feel like once we’re closer to the postseason they’ll probably be back in the top ten.