TheDeuce

BluegrassPreps Class 3A Football Rankings (9/14) - Discussion

Class 3A

For a pair of Class 3A contenders, the season's opening week was not friendly, even on their home turf. DeSales could not overcome a first half deficit to Lexington Christian Academy, and Bell County was simply out-manned against defending 4A champ Johnson Central. Both look to rally against unranked 5A foes. Belfry took care of business at home against Pulaski County and will seek revenge against rival Pikeville. Christian Academy - Louisville  will certainly remember what Boyle County did to them in 2019 as they look to make a major statement at home. Elizabethtown perhaps was the most impressive victor. The Panthers handled 6A Central Hardin in Ross Brown's debut.

1. Belfry at 1A #1 Pikeville

2. DeSales at 5A Cooper

3. Christian Academy- Louisville vs. 4A #2 Boyle County

4. Bell County vs. 5A Whitley County

5. Russell at 5A Montgomery County

6. Elizabethtown vs. Thomas Nelson

7. Ashland -- OPEN

8. Taylor County at Mercer County

9. Glasgow at Hart County

10. Bardstown vs. 4A Spencer County

If CAL stuns Boyle County should they automatically jump to the top?

What would a Belfry loss to Pikeville mean? What other teams would you expect in 3A to be able to knock off the Panthers this week?

1 hour ago, ATLCat said:

What would a Belfry loss to Pikeville mean? What other teams would you expect in 3A to be able to knock off the Panthers this week?

CAL only goes to #1 if they beat Boyle and Belfry loses. 

7 hours ago, ATLCat said:

If CAL beats Boyle and Belfry loses to Pikeville then CAL probably goes to the top.

As for Belfry losing to Pikeville, I don't see it happening this season. Belfry looks very good again and I'm sure they still smart a bit from last year's loss.

As for others in 3A, I'd put Belfry, DeSales, and CAL all as favorites over Pikeville this week. I might even consider Russell and Elizabethtown capable of beating them, at least in their current makeup. I don't think Bell or anyone else in 3A is beating them right now.

Taylor County at Mercer County is intriguing this week. This was a new addition to their schedules after some offseason changes. Taylor won last week but was far from impressive. Mercer was handled easily by Boyle, but that may not be the best indicator of what a team is. I look for a good, competitive game here.