NFL Free Agency Tracker

Looks like the Bengals overpaid for Reader and Waynes, and they lost Dennard to the Jaguars. Reader becomes the highest paid NT after never being named to the Pro Bowl in his first 4 years, and QBs had a 107.9 QB Rating against Waynes last year.

Looks like the Bengals overpaid for Reader and Waynes, and they lost Dennard to the Jaguars. Reader becomes the highest paid NT after never being named to the Pro Bowl in his first 4 years, and QBs had a 107.9 QB Rating against Waynes last year.

They did not over pay for him. He has been graded as one of the top interior defensive lineman for awhile. The pro bowl is more popularity based than result based.

Now they did probably over pay for Wayne’s. However, people always complain that the Bengals are cheap. You have to realize that most teams have to over pay to get some guys to their teams. So a team like the Bengals who in the past wouldn’t over pay to get someone, and would just say never mind. Actually decided to be aggressive and over paid to get someone. That is not a bad thing at all. With the Bengals reputation they have to over pay for some guys, or else they will be forced to sign bottom guys like always that people complain about.

No reason to imo. Doesn’t really help in areas that they need.

All I hear is complaints about the Bengal linebacker corp. Matthews is an outside linebacker who is a 6 time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion. He has 519 tackles, 91.5 sacks, 43 pass deflections, 6 interceptions, 17 forces fumbles and 3 defensive touchdowns. He is 33 years old. So you are saying you would take Nick Vigil, Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson all over him?

All I hear is complaints about the Bengal linebacker corp. Matthews is an outside linebacker who is a 6 time Pro Bowler and Super Bowl champion. He has 519 tackles, 91.5 sacks, 43 pass deflections, 6 interceptions, 17 forces fumbles and 3 defensive touchdowns. He is 33 years old. So you are saying you would take Nick Vigil, Jordan Evans and Hardy Nickerson all over him?

All those great stats you listed were from in his prime, not what he is now. Plus he is an outside edge rushing linebacker. That is what he got his name for and made his living. Which no that is not what the Bengals need. The Bengals already have two guys like that in Hubbard, and Lawson. No need to add an old edge rushing linebacker just to say you did.

So yes I would take Vigil over him. There is also plenty of other linebackers available I would still take over him. I’m sorry if I am not someone who gets caught up in the name, like apparently you have.

All those great stats you listed were from in his prime, not what he is now. Plus he is an outside edge rushing linebacker. That is what he got his name for and made his living. Which no that is not what the Bengals need. The Bengals already have two guys like that in Hubbard, and Lawson. No need to add an old edge rushing linebacker just to say you did.

So yes I would take Vigil over him. There is also plenty of other linebackers available I would still take over him. I’m sorry if I am not someone who gets caught up in the name, like apparently you have.

Well, there went that attempt at a simple conversation.

Well, there went that attempt at a simple conversation.

You listed all things he has done in the past, when he was in his prime. Which in his prime he was mainly a edge rushing linebacker. Which an older out of his prime, edge rushing linebacker is not what they need. The only reason some fans have suggested him is because of his name and not actually what he would bring or what they need.

Yes the bengals need to get better at linebacker. However, they need linebackers that are against the run and can cover. Clay Matthews is neither of those, he would be a nice name to have here. However, for some that is all they see is the name. He simply does not fit, and they already have two young guys in Lawson and Hubbard that basically play the same spot he has always played.