Dayton 66 VCU 61

Getslow

The Flyers -- now 13-0 in the Atlantic 10 and winners of 15 straight -- pass the first of their late-season tests with a win at VCU in which the Flyers led from the time it was 8-7 and never let the game get level again.

The aggressive VCU defense held the Flyers to one of their lowest shooting percentages of the season: 45%. That's well below the average of over 50%.

Obi Toppin had 12 points and 5 rebounds. Jalen Crutcher added 18 points that included going 8-8 from the free throw line in the second half to seal it away.

Only five games remaining before the A-10 tournament:

Duquesne

at George Mason

Davidson

at Rhode Island (circle that one, folks)

George Washington

The Flyers -- now 13-0 in the Atlantic 10 and winners of 15 straight -- pass the first of their late-season tests with a win at VCU in which the Flyers led from the time it was 8-7 and never let the game get level again.

The aggressive VCU defense held the Flyers to one of their lowest shooting percentages of the season: 45%. That's well below the average of over 50%.

Obi Toppin had 12 points and 5 rebounds. Jalen Crutcher added 18 points that included going 8-8 from the free throw line in the second half to seal it away.

Only five games remaining before the A-10 tournament:

Duquesne

at George Mason

Davidson

at Rhode Island (circle that one, folks)

George Washington

Toppin is an All American, Grant a good coach, and it's great to see a program like Dayton having a great year! Makes an old guy remember Coach Blackburn and Coach Donoher.

• 2 weeks later...
Toppin is an All American, Grant a good coach, and it's great to see a program like Dayton having a great year! Makes an old guy remember Coach Blackburn and Coach Donoher.

9068--

Here are some Dayton remembrances from another older guy: Don May; NCAA final vs. UCLA in mid-sixties, I believe; Henry Finkel; Gottshalk twins (spelling is way off, I'm sure)----when they were in high school I think they played a game at Trinity (and won); UK beating Indiana in the NCAAs at a virtually brand new gym in Dayton.....I think this was around 1970. I apologize if my memory is faulty.