Mark Dantonio out at Michigan State

John Anthony

As of last night Sparty hasn’t reached Fickell. My guess is because he had the speaking engagement and the fact he’s his own agent. I’m betting he gets that 517 area code today.

He's speaking at the Ohio Football Coaches Clinic today so probably won't know anything one way or the other until tomorrow or Sunday as far as contact goes. Could be wrong, but just my guess. I know MSU wants to get things done quick and on the UC side of things, they are still trying to negotiate what they can give him.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's speaking at the Ohio Football Coaches Clinic today so probably won't know anything one way or the other until tomorrow or Sunday as far as contact goes. Could be wrong, but just my guess. I know MSU wants to get things done quick and on the UC side of things, they are still trying to negotiate what they can give him.

I’m not sure I have any faith in Sparty right now unless it’s begins with 30 million. They formed their committee to interview candidates over the next 2-3 weeks. It’s like they think it’s mid December and they have multiple options. They have to get him to sit down in Dayton or Mason next week.

@Walter

Fickell set to interview this weekend with Sparty.

Tomorrow... Speculation it's just a "favor" to Dantonio much like when he interviewed with Gee and West Va last off season.

Guess we will see what happens. I'll be glad when something is announced one way or the other.

Tomorrow... Speculation it's just a "favor" to Dantonio much like when he interviewed with Gee and West Va last off season.

Guess we will see what happens. I'll be glad when something is announced one way or the other.

Agree with you. Credit to Luke though, he’s a professional doing his due diligence. Sparty better be prepared to offer at least 6 for 25 million of its a waste of everyone’s time.

Colorado coach who was the other candidate interviewing this week just said no to any offers.

Fickell is getting more expensive by the minute. I’d ask for 30 million if I’m him.

Robert Saleh publicly turned the job down as well. Three coaches have declined to interview. Sounds like these coaches realize how toxic that situation is right now in East Lansing.

Michigan State reps are scheduled to land in Cincy tonight. Fick not going there for the interview seems like a good sign, IMO.

Robert Saleh publicly turned the job down as well. Three coaches have declined to interview. Sounds like these coaches realize how toxic that situation is right now in East Lansing.

Michigan State reps are scheduled to land in Cincy tonight. Fick not going there for the interview seems like a good sign, IMO.

I’m telling my man they are gonna have to “make him an offer he can’t refuse.” I hope they drop the ball and go in low. I’d love to see another year at UC for him.

I’m telling my man they are gonna have to “make him an offer he can’t refuse.” I hope they drop the ball and go in low. I’d love to see another year at UC for him.

Hopefully Justin Wodtly knows something... Interesting response to the Tucker news late last night.

Twitter

Brandon Saho of WLWT reporting Fick will make a decision in 24-48 hrs.

The plane just left Lunken. Sounds like two people boarded the plane that weren’t on the incoming flight. Detective work is fun in today’s technology era lol.

If it was Luke and Amy, would they fly to Lansing without the kids? Still hope for UC fans.

The plane just left Lunken. Sounds like two people boarded the plane that weren’t on the incoming flight. Detective work is fun in today’s technology era lol.

If it was Luke and Amy, would they fly to Lansing without the kids? Still hope for UC fans.

GT confirmed on twitter that Luke and Amy Fickell weren't on the plane and still in Cincy, while another account confirmed MSU AD arrived back in East Lansing by himself.

A search firm is involved in this as well that flew in separately so the thought is that is who was at the airport.

GT confirmed on twitter that Luke and Amy Fickell weren't on the plane and still in Cincy, while another account confirmed MSU AD arrived back in East Lansing by himself.

A search firm is involved in this as well that flew in separately so the thought is that is who was at the airport.

Yup GT was right. The thread online was pure gold though lol.

That said, I’m feeling uneasy about the situation as a UC fan. What about you @Walter?

Yup GT was right. The thread online was pure gold though lol.

That said, I’m feeling uneasy about the situation as a UC fan. What about you @Walter?

I'm torn, honestly. I've stayed away from the mess going on over on the MSU boards and strictly gone off what GT and guys like Saho have reported.

I obviously have my opinions on why he would and wouldn't take the job, and I personally feel him staying at UC is much better AT THIS TIME. Just bad timing by MSU to be conducting a coaching search with all that's going on in their AD. Inexperience at both the president and AD position doesn't help either. Like you said, Fick isn't going to make any decisions without evaluating anything and everything that should be considered. I also think his family is going to play a much bigger role than any amount of money that MSU can offer.

I see him announcing in the morning that he is staying at UC but we will see. I know I'll be disappointed if he leaves. Best class in program history coming in next year and a team with a realistic shot at running the table and getting to a NY6 bowl. Does he really want to start all over with the rebuild process and deal with the dark clouds over MSU program?

I keep going back to how uncomfortable he was this past season the week leading up to the OSU game. Does he want to deal with that every year?

I also can't see him leaving before seeing his first recruiting class that really trusted him to make UC something bigger, move on. He preaches family, blind faith, and culture to these recruits. Leaving would definitely contradict what he's used to get some of these guys in.

I'm torn, honestly. I've stayed away from the mess going on over on the MSU boards and strictly gone off what GT and guys like Saho have reported.

I obviously have my opinions on why he would and wouldn't take the job, and I personally feel him staying at UC is much better AT THIS TIME. Just bad timing by MSU to be conducting a coaching search with all that's going on in their AD. Inexperience at both the president and AD position doesn't help either. Like you said, Fick isn't going to make any decisions without evaluating anything and everything that should be considered. I also think his family is going to play a much bigger role than any amount of money that MSU can offer.

I see him announcing in the morning that he is staying at UC but we will see. I know I'll be disappointed if he leaves. Best class in program history coming in next year and a team with a realistic shot at running the table and getting to a NY6 bowl. Does he really want to start all over with the rebuild process and deal with the dark clouds over MSU program?

I keep going back to how uncomfortable he was this past season the week leading up to the OSU game. Does he want to deal with that every year?

I also can't see him leaving before seeing his first recruiting class that really trusted him to make UC something bigger, move on. He preaches family, blind faith, and culture to these recruits. Leaving would definitely contradict what he's used to get some of these guys in.

A lot of smoke pointing to him taking a deal worth 25-30 million, which is what I said the sweet spot was.

The BOT could call an emergency meeting to approve it in the next 24 hours. Boy I hope this is wrong, would be an absolute gut punch to UC. 1 more year Luke!