Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Portable Generator

Featured Replies

If you are not going to run electric heat or air conditioning you only need 2000 watts.

 

If you are going to run electric heat or air you will need 3000 watts.

 

When it comes to generators - decibels is everything.

 

A lot of campgrounds have a night time max of 58 db.

 

For those not familiar with decibels. 51 db is usually related as equivilent to quiet indoor conversation. 55 dbs is normal outdoor conversation.

 

So now we kind of have a base line.

 

When reading those specs on generators, know that every 3 decibels doubles the volume. So a 57 db generator is 4 times as loud as a 51 db generator.

 

58 db and lower are concidered quiet.

 

Honda is the best there really is no arguement. They are double the cost.

 

I have 2 of these with a parallel kit.

 

Model 73536i - Champion Fulfillment

 

If I need heat or air, I run both in parallel. If I don't need heat or air, I just run 1. That will run my Rv fridge, microwave, 3 TVs, lights, coffee pot, etc. I don't recommend making coffee and running the microwave at the same time though. They sell them at Sam's Club if you have a membership.

 

I have had mine for 7 years and they have been perfect. I bought them from Champion Fullfilment place in tbe link above. They are 53 db each. Two together are 1.5 times as loud as 1 so 54.5 db.

 

One of my friends got two and a parallel kit for $950 last September.

 

 

One other thing. If you are not using your generator regularly. Always run the carb dry. Doesn't mean you have to run the tank empty, just cut off the gas supply and let it run till it quits.

 

Excellent points in every aspect! This is a go to post when considering a generator. You also get bonus points for understanding decibel levels hah. I've done a lot of work with home theater systems in the past and most people have no idea what it takes in terms of power to raise the db level a few decibels in an open environment. The same applies to generators and in that instance the quieter the better, whether it be for home use or camping. It keeps the neighbors happy either way.

Looks like the Champions are still about the same price.

 

$975 for two and a parallel kit.

 

Amazon.com : Champion 73536i 17 Running Watts/2 Starting Watts Gas Powered Portable Inverter and Parallel Kit Bundle : Garden & Outdoor

 

Amazon.com : Champion 2-Watt Stackable Portable Inverter Generator : Vehicle Power Inverters : Garden & Outdoor

 

 

 

I checked the oil and got gas for mine just in case this storm hits us.

If I was you I would get an inverter generator with parallel combo kit.

 

Ryobi, HF, Champion, and Generac are all about the same.

 

Honda and Yamaha are top of the line and not that much difference.

 

I have had all and wouldn't hesitate to buy any of them again. I would look for used Honda and Yamaha if I was going that route.

Go with a Honda. Quiet and reliable.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.